Mitsubishi Diesel Info Needed Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Even Kiehl

Vessel Name
Even Kiehl
Hi
Cannot get any further info until after Memorial Day, but I was told this is a 6 cyl Mitsubishi engine in a 1979 26' power boat. No further info. Someone else said from the photo it could be a 4 cyl.
Until I get more info and photos, does anyone have any experience or thoughts on the engine? I believe Bayliner used them early in their 38' boats.
Any information or further sources would be appreciated.
Next I will try boatdiesel.com
Thanks , Stuart
Picture was placed in the posting upside down, but submitted correctly. ?

Attachments

• 20200522_122340.jpg
    20200522_122340.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Thanks, waiting till Tuesday when the shop opens again...

Boatdiesel.com might provide a treasure trove of information. In addition to the smart people, there are documents, manuals, etc.

Good Luck

Thanks, I just joined.
Cheers, stay healthy and happy!
PS a buddy of mine hauling out in the next day or two at PA, In Friday Harbor now

Bayliner used " Hino" diesels which they marinized themselves.

It is probably an auto or light truck conversion.

After you find the model used,, NAPA will have filters and belts and the "Da Book" the service and rebuild manual ($75 to $100+) may be available from the car or truck dealer.

Was a fairly common marine diesel in the late 70's and early 80"s. Bayliner did use quite a few of these.
Technically a Chrysler Mitsubishi CM-655TI and around 200HP. Also sometimes known as a Mitsubishi 6DS7.
Do a search using those terms and you will get plenty of hits including parts sources. Some parts are hard to come by, and the few suppliers that have them new are pretty proud of them.
These are pretty robust and reliable engines. But given that most of them in service are 40 years old.....

:socool:

Will start the research using these models until confirmation on Tues when the shop re opens from the weekend holiday. Yeah, have been getting good reports, but no known engine hours and 40 yrs old certainly a factor.
One the other side, one owner last 20 yrs. a good one, no salt water use, and only seasonal use balance it out a bit..
Thanks and will check back in once I know for a fact the engine model,
Stuart

Back
Top Bottom