Miss. December: Uncensored

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Giggitoni

Guru
Vessel Name
Mahalo Moi
Vessel Make
1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Our own "Scary" is a cover girl in this months Bay & Delta Yachtsman. Photo was captured last Summer in a "secret cove" in the California Delta. Way to go, Steve! She's looking good!

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_488.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_488.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Picked up the mag today at the Vallejo Marina after addressing berth-neighbors' concern the Coot was taking on water, resulting in a list to port. Not to worry. Transferring fuel from the port fuel tank to the empty starboard tank corrected the list. ... Steve must welcome lots of visitors or has too many auxiliary boats. ... Good-looking boat, Steve has.

Previously, it was a list to starboard that concerned neighbors. Same issue: fuel yet to be balanced among tanks.

Last edited:
Ray, why shouldn't your beautiful boat not be on a magazine cover?

Last edited:
Picked up the mag today at the Vallejo Marina after addressing berth-neighbors' concern the Coot was taking on water, resulting in a list to port. Not to worry. Transferring fuel from the port fuel tank to the empty starboard tank corrected the list. ... Steve must welcome lots of visitors or has too many auxiliary boats. ... Good-looking boat, Steve has.

Previously, it was a list to starboard that concerned neighbors. Same issue: fuel yet to be balanced among tanks.

Why not just link the tanks Mark, so they are always level, and look...no hands, and no list..! :socool:

Agreed! Cary`d Away makes a great Cover Girl!

Way to represent, Steve! She looks grand...as does daughter Whitney's ski boat. Now the first thing I see when sitting on my throne in the morning is your boat! Egads!!

On the throne

On the throne. Wow I'm not sure that's an honor. If boats could talk I'm sure this one has stories to tell. She started out as a research boat for forward scanning sonar. passed on to a restaurant owner who fished salmon for sport out of Seattle, sold again to a Seattle water cop who lived aboard for 20plus years.

He cruised as far south as Guatemala and back to Seattle where I bought her with the intention of cruising her north to Alaska for a year or two and then to the East coast via the canal eventually ending up in Nova Scotia and across the pond to Europe. Plans change and after a year or so on the Colombia River she is now waiting in the Sacramento Delta to go back north again.

These old boats are unbelievable in the ocean, stabilized, 9.5 feet of freeboard forward, 66,000lb, the ride is soft, stable and dry. 1450 gallons of fuel, 500 gallons of water, range is just not a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that these boats are unbelievable in the Ocean. We cruised from San Diego to San Francisco, then back south and spent 12 years in Mexico. Never once did I doubt the sea keeping capabilities of Freedom. We had a captain bring her back from Puerto Vallarta a year ago and Elizabeth's first statement to me when she arrived in San Francisco was "wow, this old girl can really handle anything you can throw at her".

You should have no problem taking Cary'd Away back to the PNW.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda Scary, isn't it. :D Well, if it helps, there's a separate one on my family room table that I neglected to mention. :flowers:

She's a great ship, Steve. She dwarfs my little 34 LRC. Where I really notice it is when you approach a dock. You need a flight of steps to descend from on high. :thumb: Here`s the only shot I have of them.

Attachments

• 20150328_190839_zpsdpsa6bci.jpg
    20150328_190839_zpsdpsa6bci.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 169
I agree that these boats are unbelievable in the Ocean. We cruised from San Diego to San Francisco, then back south and spent 12 years in Mexico. Never once did I doubt the sea keeping capabilities of Freedom. We had a captain bring her back from Puerto Vallarta a year ago and Elizabeth's first statement to me when she arrived in San Francisco was "wow, this old girl can really handle anything you can throw at her".

You should have no problem taking Cary'd Away back to the PNW.

Hatteras built some incredible boats under 60'. The quality of ride combined with the internal space unbeatable. Wish they did today. They've added the one smaller boat but it's definitely not an LRC, actually a reformulated Cabo.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom