Old 01-26-2011, 08:35 AM   #21
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36
RE: Mindless meaderings

I thought I read this story in Seaworthy magazine...* The thing BoatUS sends you if you use their insurance (I don't any more).* Could have been some other mag though...* I seem to remember reading it while in "the library" so I don't think it was online when I read it.

I think their point was about the importance of a ditch bag.*
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #22
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:

Healhustler - Here is the engine room camera I am most considering at present. It can be a long search to find the right one..........http://www.harborfreight.com/weather...ion-95914.html

Here is the thread you mentioned about the subject in general.........
http://www.trawlerforum.com/index.sp...picID=38219643
I am going to be doing about a 125 mile run on our trawler next weekend (weather permitting!!) which is the longest trip we've done on her yet. *I like to keep things simple and cheap. *Since I am running my macbook/laptop for my GPS and I already have a webcam that I don't use, I am going to buy a USB extension cable and just mount the webcam in my engine room. *This will allow me to shrink the cam screen into the corner of my laptop screen so I can watch the GPS and the cam at the same time. *Not the most high tech solution but it "should" work and should cost me less than $50 if I didn't have the cam already so really it should only cost $20 or so for the extension cable.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #23
Guru

Carl,
We're taking her 125 miles (through 2 locks) down the river to get her topsides painted (see my painting topsides thread in the General Maint. section). Should be a fun trip- doing it with our 8 year old son and my dad so I am looking forward to it.
I'll report back on the cam set up. Only reason it would not work I think is if the vibration works the cable connections loose but I can always tape them if need be and I'll just run the USB cable from lower helm to the engine room. The cam I have has built in LED lights to help brighten things up but will also just leave the engine room lights on.
My biggest question is where to mount it. Options are either A) pointing towards engine and transmission, B) pointing towards the lowest point of the bilge where ALL water collects if there should ever be any type of leak. If I can figure out how to run 2 cams at once that would be perfect but as it sits now I am leaning towards pointing it towards the lowest point in the bilge for water detection (though I am installing a high water alarm this week too prior to the trip!) as it is harder to see that location but I can always just lift an engine hatch in the sole behind the lower helm to check the engine itself.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c

Ok I've recovered enough from reading Timjets story and the subsequent comments on it to make a comment on the original question of color coding caps.*

One of our good friends had a catalina 36 for many years.* He sold it to my brother in law and bought a Catalina 42.* The first time he needed to fill it with fresh water he unscrewed the cap that was the water*fill location on the 36 and proceeded to fill the tank with water.* After a few minutes his wife came out and asked what he was doing.* He told her and she said wasn't that great that the fill was in the same place it was on the old boat.* This caused him to take pause and actually look at the cap he'd unscrewed, which was clearly labeled "Diesel."*

Matt and I always triple check the caps whenever we pump out or put in diesel.* Our water fill is on the transom and not in a position to be confused with anything else.* I am fine with the caps we have, which are clearly labeled with engraved lettering.

Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #25
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:

Ok I've recovered enough from reading Timjets story and the subsequent comments on it to make a comment on the original question of color coding caps.*

One of our good friends had a catalina 36 for many years.* He sold it to my brother in law and bought a Catalina 42.* The first time he needed to fill it with fresh water he unscrewed the cap that was the water*fill location on the 36 and proceeded to fill the tank with water.* After a few minutes his wife came out and asked what he was doing.* He told her and she said wasn't that great that the fill was in the same place it was on the old boat.* This caused him to take pause and actually look at the cap he'd unscrewed, which was clearly labeled "Diesel."*

Matt and I always triple check the caps whenever we pump out or put in diesel.* Our water fill is on the transom and not in a position to be confused with anything else.* I am fine with the caps we have, which are clearly labeled with engraved lettering.
OUCH!!! And then there are things over which we have no control.My cousin and her husband received their new sailboat many years ago, and eager to set out, filled all the tanks. First they filled with diesel, and when they arrived at their slip, they topped off the water. The next time they went to start, it wouldn't. Turns out, that the manufacturer had labeled the fills backward. Diesel in the water, and water in the diesel.*

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:25 PM   #26
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
Don,

After seeing your post here*I do remember seeing a previous post of yours with the same picture of your late wife.

I feel very bad that I had not remembered that posting when I made my comments to you about the Health Care bill.

Again I'm sorry for your loss.I appreiate your comment, JD.* No harm done.* That picture was made less than a month of her passing.* We were still cruising as we had done for 34 of our 44 years.* She was a great first mate.

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:33 PM   #27
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:

I am going to be doing about a 125 mile run on our trawler next weekend (weather permitting!!) which is the longest trip we've done on her yet. *I like to keep things simple and cheap. *Since I am running my macbook/laptop for my GPS and I already have a webcam that I don't use, I am going to buy a USB extension cable and just mount the webcam in my engine room. *This will allow me to shrink the cam screen into the corner of my laptop screen so I can watch the GPS and the cam at the same time. *Not the most high tech solution but it "should" work and should cost me less than $50 if I didn't have the cam already so really it should only cost $20 or so for the extension cable.
The reason I went to the Seattle boat show was for a new GPS.
*I picked up a Garmin 4208 it has a feed for two cameras as well as a video out.

The plan is to hook up to a 19" computer monitor and be able to project the*screen from the GPS onto the monitor.

All I need is a 12 volt monitor (I only have a small inverter and don't really want to invest in a larger one.)* and a couple of cameras. One for the ER the other for a back up camera.*

I also would like to find a TV mount that will fold up as I want to mount it on the overhead and be able to fold it up when not in use.
I haven't found one of these yet.

I sure liked the one Marin has on his helm I believe he said it was custom made.

If anyone has seen anything like what I am looking for. Please post a link.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

City: -
Mindless meaderings

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:I sure liked the one Marin has on his helm I believe he said it was custom made.
I have no idea who made it or when, but it's not anything American Marine ever supplied.* The radar display hinges up into a fully enclosed wood box mounted inside the flying bridge console.* When it was built, radar displays were still the relatively small round CRT type that required a hood to see during daylight.* The unit that was there when we bought the boat was a Raytheon 2600.

Radar displays even for smaller boats have since become much larger with LCD screens and whatnot.* Since we wanted to continue to use this mount for the radar, when we bought a new one the mount's width dictated that we buy the 7" Furuno NavNet display instead of the 10" which we would have preferred.* Mounted very close to the helmsman as it is, the 7" display has not proven to be a problem, but we still would have preferred the 10" display.* So if you make something like this, be sure to size it for the largest display you thnk you might put up there.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 26th of January 2011 03:10:43 PM
Attached Thumbnails
radarb.jpg   radara.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #29
Guru

That drop down mount for a GPS or radar/TV screen would be very easy to build out of wood and some simple hardware if you have enough room between the headliner and cabin roof. I only have about 3" between the headliner and the cabin roof though.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #30
Scraping Paint

City: -
Mindless meaderings

Our mount does not fit into the space between the headliner and cabin overhead.* Like your boat, our boat has only a few inches between the headliner and the underside of the cabin overhead.* The radar recess goes right up through the cabin overhead into a box mounted on the flying bridge sole under the instrument console. So whoever built it cut a rectangular hole in the cabin overhead itself.* The edge of the hole is trimmed with teak and the box framing eliminates any gaps between the teak frame in the overhead and the inside of the box itself.* They also did some nice teak trim and fill work in the center teak valance to provide the clearance for the mount as it hinges down.* It's a very well done piece of cabinet work.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 26th of January 2011 03:18:51 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:34 PM   #31

City: Seattle, Salmon Bay
Vessel Name: Tonic
Vessel Model: 1987 Cheer Men Marine PT42

Quote:
markpierce wrote:

Tonic wrote:

I really don't know if I have audible engine low oil pressure and high coolant temp alarms on my '96 John Deeres. Obviously, I have gauges but how/where would one check for alarms? Excuse my ignorance, but is the alarm I get when I stop the engines an oil pressure alarm?
My John Deere (2010) engine panel for a single engine*includes "alarm" lights and an audible alarm.* So, what does your panel look like?* Maybe you should upgrade your panel?

My instruments are a mix of IssPro (tachs) and VDO (everything else).* Same at the upper helm.* I don't know if they were changed with the repower from Lehmans to Deeres.* But...only the single light for, presumably, oil pressure.* I'm good at keeping an eye on the guages but the extra lights would be nice.* I'm not keen on shelling out for replacements when these work just fine, but I'll have to look into if I could rig my own lights to the existing gauges.* Warning lights/alarms are triggered from the guages, right?
Attached Thumbnails
engineguages.jpg  
Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #32

Tim,
You can buy the little electonic alarm speaker and stick it on top of the helm, you'll hear it fine, and you can just wire it in parallel with the one you have under the helm.
Marc
Avista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #33
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Mindless meaderings

As you can see I have absolutely nothing (the clock dosn't count) above my line of sight.
Don't like the light in my eyes or bending my neck and I certainly don't like anything blocking my view. An hour meter can be under my berth if necessary but any indicator I'm going to need while under way is going to be right in front of me and below my line of sight. Some things are important.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Wednesday 26th of January 2011 07:30:19 PM
Attached Thumbnails
all to 12-15-09 137.jpg  
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Avista wrote:

Tim,
You can buy the little electonic alarm speaker and stick it on top of the helm, you'll hear it fine, and you can just wire it in parallel with the one you have under the helm.
Marc

Marc,
Which electric alarm speaker. Sounds just like what I need, pun intended.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:40 PM   #35
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

As you can see I have absolutely nothing (the clock dosn't count) above my line of sight.
Don't like the light in my eyes or bending my neck and I certainly don't like anything blocking my view. An hour meter can be under my berth if necessary but any indicator I'm going to need while under way is going to be right in front of me and below my line of sight. Some things are important.

Ditto, Eric.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote