Migrating from a sailboat to a motor yacht or trawler. Much confusion.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I met a guy doing the downeast loop.
He had a big boat with zeus drives.
He had just gotten the boat having replaced a smaller one.
He wasn't happy and it wasn't because he was spending a $1,000 a day for fuel.
It was like the boat took the fun out of the trip.

IPS are very prone to prop damage... and there are 4 of those to get buggered up. I have a close boating buddy that has replaced props a couple times and both were river or canal travel. One at lo speed canal travel.
The drive it self is very rugged. I was surprised there was no shaft damage w the high speed encounter w a log the size of a telephone pole.
I was also very impressed w/ the prop shop that repaired these to like new condition - you couldn't tell they had been turned "inside out"
We were unable to remove the piece of log even after haul out w/o out removing the props. That duo-prop arrangement just wedged it in.
Removed about 12 ft of the log to get the boat into the haul out slip - what you see is the "smaller" section that remained.

The issues he has had w/ the Volvo's is whole 'nother story. :banghead:

I'll take my single screw w/ keel & sand shoe and twin thrusters any day!! :socool:

Attachments

• _65.jpg
    _65.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 40
  • _66.jpg
    _66.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 40
  • _67.jpg
    _67.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 48
  • _68.jpg
    _68.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 38
  • _69.jpg
    _69.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Maybe look at MotorSailer with easily deck stepped mast. You can motor and only raise a sail in perfect (to you) conditions.

Look at Nauticat, Fisher, Schucker, Cabo Rico Pilothouse, Island Packet, etc

Is there anyone still making a modern pilothouse like the Cherubini? Any of them with a modern plant like the Volvo IPS?

The Swift Trawler and others are similar, but I’m talking about where the cabin is the full beam, like the Cherubini Independence and the pilot house is narrower with a side door to access the foredeck.

I really like the look and layout of the Cherubini. (Ranger tugs are like tug versions of this concept, and I’m looking at them. Too bad they don’t make a 40-50 footer with two heads and IPS.)
Take a look at the Helmsman trawlers. Interior layout of the 43 is almost identical to the Cherubini. Being a semi cusom build, you might be able to get IPS drives.

Ted

Take a look at the Helmsman trawlers. Interior layout of the 43 is almost identical to the Cherubini. Being a semi cusom build, you might be able to get IPS drives.

Ted

I may be a bit biased on the Helmsman... but, I would strongly suggest you give it a hard look. Exceptional build quailty as a real value.

While not offered with IPS, it is extremely maneuverable with the single engine and bow and stern thrusters.

What is your interest in IPS drives? Frankly IMO those drives are for gadget minded occasional boaters who want (and need) the help of fingertip electronics to maneuver around the dock.

Real captains like straight prop shaft drives: single with a bow thruster or twins with or without :).

David

When pod drives first came out, there were quite a few issues, many of them computer related. The newer gen systems are much better, but you are still looking at annual haul outs for lower end service. IE, the cost to maintain is higher than a shaft with a prop.

Some people with newer systems have 0 issues, others don't. Part of the reason is many fast planing boats such as express cruisers use their boats a few times per month in the Summer, don't understand the systems, and are not willing to invest the $ to keep these systems happy.

Pods (Zeus or IPS) are more efficient than a prop and a shaft, and are designed mainly for faster speed planing boats. They are not a good fit on a slower speed trawler, and that is why you don't see them on FD and most SD slower speed cruising hulls.

I have been there, and would not go back there.

"Maybe look at MotorSailer with easily deck stepped mast. You can motor and only raise a sail in perfect (to you) conditions."

A fully battened main allows great versatility as the main dioes not beat itself to death luffing.

For raising and lowering a mast a tabernackle was the preferred method , but it is an in port operation.

In the 1800's the Thames Barges used a lutchet , which was a mast that pivoted , the weighted foot came up thru a deck hatch.

A man and a boy could lower the mast passing under bridges , with little loss of speed .
Counterbalance was the key.

Sort of hard to figure a fwd cabin arrangement that would work tho.

There is much good info out there on passage limitations along GL and Canada canals etc. Suggest bone up on that and know what you'll face for all water's you plan to cruise then make boat list. Our philosophy smallest craft feel comfortable with which in our view 42 with 14.5 air clearance W mast broken and 4.5 draft.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom