Midges and sons of midges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodscrew

Vessel Name
Northern Star
Vessel Make
Bristol 42 1970
I’ve read about midges covering boats at certain anchorages on Albemarle Sound and the blue green poop specks they leave behind. Have seen a few at Coinjock. Am currently at Fort Myers for the last 2 months and have been learning the ways of these little buggers. Every day. Some observations. They look like mosquitoes but don’t bite,thank God. Every morning there are hundreds or thousands covering the boat. Some days they leave the boat with thousands of poop specks. Some days not. My boat is Awlgripped and it mostly hoses off. I have a fiberglass dock box on board and the blue green stuff stains the gel coat, but will come off with Soft scrub with bleach, no hard scrubbing. If left alone the sun will bleach it away in a few days. Lots of theories on why they are here at this time of year (unusual) and in such numbers. Mostly that the continuing releases of fresh water from Lake Okeechobee have reduced the salinity of the Caloosahatchee River. Hose ‘em off every day. Suck ‘em up at night off the overhead with the DustBuster. ( A vital piece of equipment every cruiser should have). We’re going to Sarasota tomorrow where the water is salt.

Back
Top Bottom