micro commander issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gskill

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
RoxSea
Vessel Make
34 Mainship Pilot
I have a micro commander throttle and shifter control at my helm. Yesterday while traveling and backing into a slip at a marina I received a beeping alarm and my port engine shut down. The micro commander has a button when pressed displays two blinking red lights. if the button is held for a couple of seconds both turn solid red and I can press the starter buttons to start the engines. The Port engine light will not activate (blink red) therefore I cannot attempt to start the engine. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot? thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4548.jpg
    IMG_4548.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 16
The ZF Mathers Micro Commander has had a long history of problems. Mainship issued a technical bulletin that recommended replacing the power supply relay.

See attached pdf file.

David

Attachments

• MainshipBulletin06_174_1.pdf
    27.1 KB · Views: 24
I had an issue with one of mine that sounds similar, but not exactly the same. Mine would cut out and loose control of the port engine intermittently at about 1000 rpm. When it cut out it would automatically shift to neutral and return to idle. If I shifted the lever to idle and held down the button it would regain control. Not fun when I was coming into the dock. The way it works is that depending on where the lever is, it sends a variable voltage to the controller. Something like 4-12V depending on the position. If the controller ever sees 0 Volts, it automatically shifts back to neutral and brings it down to idle. My controller had a little dead spot in the resister that would cause it to trip if I lingered on it. I took it apart to see if I could just replace the resister part, but I was too chicken to try, it would have had do be unsoldered from a printed circuit. I ended up buying a new lever controller and it fixed my problems. Not sure why it would kill your engines and not just put them in neutral. Yours must be set up different than mine are, as the Microcommander can just do shift and throttle, but can't turn the engines off on my boat. If I misunderstood your problem and you just can't start your engine, it is probably because the control box is not seeing the right voltage, so it thinks that the shifters are not in neutral. It has been awhile since I worked on mine, but I think you can read the voltage they are seeing off the little red display on the control box.

Call Ed at Control Master in St Auguststine. Great guy. He is the guru on these.

I would start by making sure your battery is good. Take your battery reading under load. A quick test would be to disconnect the charger to the battery, or remove the power source to the charger. If the micro commander has problems that are fixed when the battery charger is powered on, its the battery. I had similar problems with my controls, which took me forever to solve because I forgot to unplug the charger and kept getting false readings with my meter. Due to this happening at the end of your cruise when you reduced rpms/alternator charging, this could be the problem.

Back
Top Bottom