Miami Boat Show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alfton

Boat Bum
Vessel Name
Traveling Star
Vessel Make
Pilgrim 40

All Knowing List

I know that this is the "In the Know" crowd for this subject.

I am looking for suggestions of places to stay while at the Miami Boat Show. I would like to be able to take the bus from the airport and get around the show by bus to prevent renting a car or cab. Keep in mind that I am a CBS (cheap bastard sailor) and want to prevent any unnecessary expense. I would prefer to spend the money at the boat show than on rooms and transportation. I know nothing about Miami so I need all the help I can get from veteran boat show participants

I have gone over the web site for the Miami boat show and I did not get any really good feeling of understanding. I had hopes of someone that has already lived this experience putting some words of wisdom on me

I work the show, and work in the Miami area frequently. My advice is to avoid South Beach at all costs. That area is way overpriced, that time of the year anything under $250 is going to be seedy and under $150 will be a roach infested hovel with homeless people sleeping in the hall. Don't be fooled by online photos of their lobbies, most of the places out there are pretty bad.

It is worth it to rent a car if you don't have one and drive in. There are parking garages on every other block that will run you about $20 a day. I use priceline and book either the airport area or possibly the Gables. Downtown is close and a better deal than SOBE.

I ofetn stay in Fort Lauderdale and drive down as well, Miami is overrated as a hotel destination.

Don't get me wrong, there are nice things about SOBE, but you don't have to stay there to get them.

Now that is the kind of information I was looking for.

It is so hard to tell anything about accomodations by pictures.

I know it sounds nuts, but you can actually stay in the south Lauderdale area (Dania Beach, Aventura) and drive down on US 1 all the way to SOBE. It can be much quicker than going out I95 with the Horrendous traffic. It is also a prettier drive, if you consider Miami area to be pretty.

I agree with Doug - Miami is very expensive. I always stay in Dania which is just the Miami-side of Ft. Lauderdale. You have a good variety of inexpensive lodging from Motel 6, Super-8 on upwards - plenty of choice in eating, shopping there too. I recommend renting a car at the airport from any of the big companies (Hertz, National, Avis etc) who have a shuttle bus from the airport itself to their compounds nearby. The drive is an easy run up I95. Go internet shopping for the best deal on car rentals - it will save you a bundle over just turning up at the rental counter. The Miami show has lots of carparks with coaches to the different show areas. They tend to be pricey, but you are paying for convenience and there is not much choice. Parking fines tend to be ferocious. I always take a small rucksack to carry purchases, brochures etc - leaves the hands free.

..............if you get to the car-rental place early, you can walk round the corner and say hello to Hopcar!

Last edited:
I live in Miami so I can't tell you much about the hotels but I can tell you parking for the show is a problem. The trick is to arrive early, before the show opens. I like to park at the high school just north of the convention center. I think the parking is run by the schools PTA. Food inside the show is expensive. Folks who work the show like to get burgers from the stand on the corner by the high school.
WARNING a little spam follows:

Please visit my store and my booth when you hit Miami. The store is located near the airport, next to the Bertram factory. We'll have one of the rooms upstairs on the west side of the convention center. Lot's of bargains! I'd love the chance to meet you. www.hopkins-carter.com

Thanks for the plug Shoalwaters!

I have been to the Comfort Suites in Miami at 3901 SW 117 Avenue
Miami, FL, US, 33175 and found it to be great. Free breakfast in the morning too! It is away from the beach so you would need a car, but clean and quiet. YMMV.

I live in Fort Lauderdale so I do not know the hotel situation. I normally park in one of the Show Management parking lots north of the Yacht and Brokerage Show on Collins Ave and then take a shuttle bus or city bus to the show itself. Then there are other buses to other parts of the three seperate boat shows going on at the same time. Parking is around $10 per day but rental cars in Forida are reasonably priced and the savings on a hotel in Dania or Hollywood or Hallendale will pay for the car and parking.

Thanks for the input. Here is my plan. I have a room at a hotel near the airport at less than half the South Beach rate. I have hopes fewer homeless / druggies in the area near the airport. I picked a hotel that offers free airport shuttles. I plan to take a free shuttle over to the airport and pick up the Metro “Airport Flyer” that will take me over to the Convention Center for $2.35 per person each way.
How is that for a plan?

Sounds like a plan! Don't forget to visit my store since you'll be near me.
What hotel did you pick?

Hyatt Place Miami
3655 NorthWest 82 Avenue
was my selection

That should be fine. It's on the west side of the airport in an area of office buildings.

This year will be the first Miami Boat Show I'll miss in eight years. And I always loved going to Miami. It's a very cool country! :) But seriously, we used to stay at the Holiday Inn Bayshore directly across the street from the Miamarina/Strictly Sail location. We walked the couple of blocks to and from the show everyday, and had the Bayshore Mall with a bunch of eateries and restaurants to choose from. Plus, there is a free bus (almost silly to call it a shuttle, as they rent full sized touring coaches) that runs to and from each of the multiple boat show locations. Some of them even run up to the concurrent brokerage show.

However, all that being said, I know we used to get a show rate of around $149/room. Don't know what they'd charge for a rack rate...

Back
Top Bottom