Miami Boat show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sheri

Hello everyone, we are looking for our new floating home and are still very indecisive... there are pros and cons to both a trawler and a sail boat. since we are struggling to find ones around here in St. Petersburg we have decided to go to the Miami boat show to see if we can start checking models off our list instead of tying to find the right one. We have been to the Annapolis show and I am wondering if that one has spoiled us...(.there were so many boats that we got to look at away from the show). Have you been to the Miami show and if so do you have any pointers? Do we get a broker lined up first? Where to stay? where to avoid or just don't bother?

Boat shows are always a good way to see a lot of vessels in one area. Given the the show is so large it may make sense to make a plan. Depending on your desires I might take some time to identify brands , size and type you want to see and then map out where they are so that you can see what you want and not get stuck in the clutter.

As stated before we went to a number of shows and online searches but did not make headway until we engaged a broker. At our first and only physical meeting he asked us many questions about the type of boating we were looking to do, skill level, budget, must haves, must not have etc. Based on this he identified a few brands and styles which we then set up appointments to visit. In short order we identified what we were looking for and the search was on. After 4 months we identified the boat, he helped negotiate the price, found us a surveyor and transport. He made the process quite painless.

Note we still go to the Boston and Newport boat shows and would love to go to Miami as the daydream factor is always fun. Good luck in your search.

Be aware that the Miami Boat show is geared mostly to open center or dual console go fast boats. While there are a few enclosed cabin types, there is not a lot of them. There are even less sail boats.

If that's what you're looking for, then you're fine. If you are looking for a trawler, there are better shows (e.g. Palm Beach, FLIBS).

The MIA boat show is WAY bigger than the one in Annapolis. The Annapolis show is pretty puny in comparison, but Annapolis has more trawler type boats.

Might want to go to TrawlerFest in Stuart in Mar. 2020.

Last edited:
We go often, and went last year.

Frankly I was disappointed that they moved it from South Beach to Virginia Key, because the Brokerage Show in Collins Avenue was right nearby, and was always an enjoyable visit. The brokerage show, now the Miami yacht Show, has also moved, but is not as convenient to the main show.

You can have a look at last years line up by downloading the brochure here.

https://www.miamiboatshow.com/

Thank you, Just checking the hotel rates and I guess due to Valentines day weekend they have doubled. Wow.

My method of shopping for boats doesn't include boat shows...unless you have a particular model you need to see or are ready to buy a new boat and looking for a "show deal".

Almost every model boat can be found in major boating areas and without much effort can be toured with a broker or an owner (even aboard boats not for sale).

Shows are really more entertainment than informative for the boats. I have been to some where access to engine rooms as been restricted...that was the beginning of the end of shows for me.

Plus at that point in my life I was working in the marine industry and found that locating a boat I wanted to see wasn't as hard as I thought.

Shows are great for seeing new tech or equipment/suppliers if you are shopping for equipment....but my allergy to crowds limits that too... :D

Last edited:
My method of shopping for boats doesn't include boat shows...unless you have a particular model you need to see or are ready to buy a new boat and looking for a "show deal".

Almost every model boat can be found in major boating areas and without much effort can be toured with a broker or an owner (even aboard boats not for sale).

Shows are really more entertainment than informative for the boats. I have been to some where access to engine rooms as been restricted...that was the beginning of the end of shows for me.

Plus at that point in my life I was working in the marine industry and found that locating a boat I wanted to see wasn't as hard as I thought.

Shows are great for seeing new tech or equipment/suppliers if you are shopping for equipment....but my allergy to crowds limits that too... :D

Pretty much the same for me.

I used to set up a booth and sell at the Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach shows, at first I loved them but you kind of get burned out on them after a while. That said, I was given a badge for the Miami show a couple of years ago and spent a day walking around looking at all the stuff like normal people do. I even drank a pina colada. It was pretty fun and I learned a lot.

I've always found boat shows to be better for the periphery stuff than the actual boats. For instance, it's nice to be able to talk to electronics people who actually work for the company rather than an employee at West Marine who may or may not be well versed in what they sell.

We go often, and went last year.

Frankly I was disappointed that they moved it from South Beach to Virginia Key, because the Brokerage Show in Collins Avenue was right nearby, and was always an enjoyable visit. The brokerage show, now the Miami yacht Show, has also moved, but is not as convenient to the main show.

You can have a look at last years line up by downloading the brochure here.

https://www.miamiboatshow.com/

The key is that there are two Miami boat shows, the show linked above plus the Yacht show. https://www.miamiyachtshow.com/en/home.html

Both show on their sites who will be exhibiting. Many find the Palm Beach Show in March more conducive to looking at brokerage boats. Miami shows in February, Trawlerfest in Stuart in early March and Palm Beach show in late March. All have their pluses and can be places to see large numbers of boats. None are perfectly tailored to the OP's buying needs but then the OP is no where close to buying, when they don't yet know whether they want sail or power. Any can be helpful in determining what you don't like.

My wife and I have gone to the Miami show many times. We loved it when it was at the convention center and at Bayside Marina. The last time we went the entire show had been moved to Virginia Key. There are reasons it was, and will be, the last time! The number of boats has decreased and the vendors have really diminished. The traffic to drive to Virginia Key is ridiculous, and parking is terrible. The solution? Water taxi? Yes if you like long lines, sour beer smells, overcrowding and HEAT! The lines to get back at the end of the day are horrible, plan on waiting in line for at least an hour to 90 minutes. Most of the displays are in tents - hot. Porta pottis seem well used, if you get my drift! We are heading to Stuart for trawlerfest this year. Have never been but hopefully better than Virginia key nightmares.

My wife and I have gone to the Miami show many times. We loved it when it was at the convention center and at Bayside Marina. The last time we went the entire show had been moved to Virginia Key. There are reasons it was, and will be, the last time! The number of boats has decreased and the vendors have really diminished. The traffic to drive to Virginia Key is ridiculous, and parking is terrible. The solution? Water taxi? Yes if you like long lines, sour beer smells, overcrowding and HEAT! The lines to get back at the end of the day are horrible, plan on waiting in line for at least an hour to 90 minutes. Most of the displays are in tents - hot. Porta pottis seem well used, if you get my drift! We are heading to Stuart for trawlerfest this year. Have never been but hopefully better than Virginia key nightmares.

I've been to the Virginia Key show a couple of times.

There are more boats in the water than inside (compared to the old location). The "tents" are typical convention/trade show facilities with decent AC (IMO).
The facilities are used for more than the boat show, some are semi permanent.

The rest rooms are trailer mounted restrooms. I don't recall actual porta potties.

Getting to/from the show via the water taxi was easy (again IMO). The lines were not very long when I used them. Only out of towners would try driving to the show and parking. Parking at AA Arena and taking the water taxi was the best way to get to the show. If you didn't want to take the water taxi you could also go on chartered buses, but they'd likely be stuck in the traffic.

The MIA boat is one of the bigger events in the spring in MIA so it is going to be crowded, but picking your time right helps a lot with the crowd situation.

It is MIA and so it is going to be hot and humid. It is So. FL after all. Going early in the day helps.

IMO, there is not a lot of stuff there for the typical trawler person. There are only a few trawler type boats. Most are open go fast and fishing boats. Some of the stuff from the vendors booths might be applicable. Mostly I go just to look around and for something to do.

Don't overlook the fact there are actually two shows simultaneously taking place in Miami. The "Miami International Boat Show" is at the Marine Stadium on Virginia Key, while the "Miami Yacht Show" is on Biscayne Bay running from Sea Isle Marina to the MacArthur Causeway with "Superyacht Miami" part of it and at Island Gardens on Watson Island. "Strictly Sail" is part of the Miami International Boat Show.

So, it's complicated but if you just see one, you miss a lot and boats that might appeal to TF'ers can be at either show.

A lot of the attendees of the Miami Shows are from Central and South America in addition to those from the U.S.

We live 5 minutes from FLIBS so have never attended the Miami Shows.

Back
Top Bottom