Mexico Refit - Willard 36

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
As many know, Weebles has been in Ensenada MX for past 18-mos or so being restored (well.....I've borrowed the term 'resto-mod' from car restorers who keep the bones but update the mechanical systems).

More in sail-oriented forums than power, I often see people looking for economical options for major boat work. Ensenada, 80-miles south of San Diego fits the bill. But I caution, long distance work in a foreign land is not for the amateur.

I'm in Mexico right now for a long overdue check-in which has been delayed due to Covid restrictions. So far, I've been able to manage pretty well with ample number of sketches and photographs via WhatsApp. But there's no substitute for actually being here. The yard labor is quite good but not do not have deep subject matter expertise on how things get used. Today was a case in point. I've moved my water tank from the engine room to beneath the cockpit sole, between the water tanks, just aft of the engine room bulkhead. Good use of space. But......when I arrived today, the fresh water pump had been installed on the bulkhead - nestled between the water heater and the bulkhead. The filter could kinda be reached, R&R of the pump would require removal of the water heater. The mechanic wanted to keep it low. I explained it was self-priming and would operate just fine, but needed to be accessible for replacement.

I have lost count of the number of times I've read "if you're gonna do work in another country, you have to be there to manage the project." I always took that to mean you'd get screwed by lazy labor, which may be true. But I think the bigger challenge is they may not have the boat-related experience to do a property placement or install, and you better be available to direct or you will not get a satisfactory result.

Overall, things are going well, albeit slowly. Yep, over-budget, but mostly due to my endless add-ons because work is so affordable. In the end, I've spent the same dollars I would have in the US, but have gotten 2x-3x the work for my money.

I've meant to drop more updates along the way, but getting pictures together with text is a pain. But here's a few pictures from this week

Peter
Anchor Locker.jpg

Nov 1 In the Yard.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the update! I’ve been considering getting some work done in Ensenada eventually so great to hear your experiences - would love to hear more details and pics on the projects you’re undertaking.

I’m in San Diego so could get down there easily in normal times. Certainly some top quality labor available here as well but top dollar too!

It's working out well for me, but I have very strong ideas on how things should work. I've owned Weebles for over 20 years and know boat systems well, and have personally done many large remodel projects (5 or 6 gut-job kitchens alone). In my observation, cheap labor locations like Mexico have a bias towards labor-based solutions. Due to necessity and lack of access and knowledge to high quality goods and components, for example, I needed the plumbing between two water tanks re-run. The mechanic used bronze fittings, a complete no-no for potable water due to lead in bronze. This seems like an obvious thing, but in a culture where workers make $5000/yr (maybe), practical knowledge of boat systems is very low, but ability to build things is quite high. I had the steel fuel tanks replaced with fiberglass - the big challenge in fabrication is what to do about the fittings? The easy solution is to buy or build metal flanges and screw them in place, but you end up with 100s of penetrations. It took me considerable time, but I found some fiberglass flanges used in the oil and gas industry that could be glass in place. There are no fastener penetrations in my tanks. Even the clean out ports are fastened from the exterior. In all fairness, it's not much better in the US - even most boat builders have little knowledge of how the boats are actually used, relying instead on a cool design and some standard practices.

Discreet projects are great for low cost labor locations. Paint a boat or replace fuel tanks or replace teak decks or build a hard top for example. Where Id guess people get in over their heads is doing work they do not have knowledge to do themselves. I view Mexico labor as extensions of my abilities, not a replacement.

Peter

Pictures :

Diagram of window detail. I opted to have yard build custom windows. There was a miscommunication on their part and they weren't clear on how to do final assembly. My design to finalize.

Salon picture a couple days ago. Wood trim being dry fit.

Flybridge showing new hard top and custom propane box

New galley with Corian counter. Cabinets are African mahogany.

One of four replacement fuel tanks. Finding the fittings was a challenge. Difficult to describe, but the flange bolts securing the access plates attach to a ring that is secured outside the tank - there are no penetrations into the tank. WINDOW%20FRAME%20DETAIL%20(OCT%2031%202020).jpegIMG_20201029_145308.jpegIMG_20201029_145323.jpegIMG_20201026_161935.jpegIMG-20190726-WA0005__01__01.jpeg

In my observation, cheap labor locations like Mexico have a bias towards labor-based solutions. Due to necessity and lack of access and knowledge to high quality goods and components, for example ...

I've also found this to be the case with cheap labor situations. You really have to stay on top of an environment where the solution is always to 'make it work' or 'use what you have'.

There is a time and place for that attitude certainly, but there is often a line to be drawn where buying an expensive tool or replacing/upgrading an expensive part is the solution I want, not to spend 40 hours making something work and end up with a result I don't want anyways even if it is cheaper. Sometimes I want to go the more expensive solution because I want the result that will create.

The pictures and work are looking good!

Looking good Peter. Do you have an idea when you can drive out of there? Are you making a left turn when you leave the marina?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom