Old 09-13-2021, 07:50 PM   #41
Veteran Member

City: Gulf Coast
Seems like this crew should have an opinion on propane outboards. Go!
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 11:45 PM   #42
Guru

City: Reno, Nevada
Small one for a tender?
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:38 AM   #43
Veteran Member

City: Gulf Coast
Yes - 10hp and less propane outboards.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:29 AM   #44
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I really liked the concept of a propane outboard. Basically a gas outboard without the issues of stale gas or water in the fuel tank. Unfortunately mine was a Lehr which was a total piece of Chinese excrement. If I was in the market for one, I would try a Tohatsu. Currently I'm running an Epropulsion 3 HP electric and couldn't be happier.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:46 AM   #45
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: North Star
Vessel Model: Lindell 36
I've had my fair share of issues with 4-stroke outboards, no thanks. Went back to a 2-stroke OMC (Johnson 8hp) from the 80's and love it. Starts every time, simple to work on, parts are available and it runs like a scalded cat. The only downside is mixing the oil, but with modern low ash 2-stroke oils it barely smokes. It's lasted 40 years and since I flush it after use I expect to get 10 more out of it. Cost me $600.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:55 AM   #46
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwarden View Post
I've had my fair share of issues with 4-stroke outboards, no thanks. Went back to a 2-stroke OMC (Johnson 8hp) from the 80's and love it.
Wish the two different Johnson outboards I had were like that. Starting the damn things was like pulling the handle on a slot machine... you'd pull the cord and pray to hit jackpot sometime in the first DOZEN tries. Not fun after a fun night ashore heading back to the boat.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:40 AM   #47
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Since 1985, I've owned 4 outboards <15 HP. All have had electric start. No idea why anyone would buy one without it. The 1985 6 HP Mercury had it as an accessory item.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:32 AM   #48

City: Chesapeake Bay
Vessel Name: High Noon V / SV Evelyn
Vessel Model: Golden Star 42 / Ericson 30 / Yard full of trailer boats
So a reputable American manufacturer outsources to foreign products which tarnish their name and leads to reccomendations to purchase from other foreign manufacturers. So much for globalization and the corporate geniuses that promote it.
Turtle Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 12:13 PM   #49
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
I've had my fair share of issues with 4-stroke outboards, no thanks. Went back to a 2-stroke OMC (Johnson 8hp) from the 80's and love it. Starts every time, simple to work on, parts are available and it runs like a scalded cat. The only downside is mixing the oil, but with modern low ash 2-stroke oils it barely smokes. It's lasted 40 years and since I flush it after use I expect to get 10 more out of it. Cost me $600.

I loved the 2 strokes as well but the fact is they are dirty. They pollute both the water and the air which was the driving force behind the development of 4strk outboards....also forgot to mention they stink when running. But i certainly loved the old 15hp Johnson and Evenrude 2strk engines they are sweet running and light weight power systems
Old 09-16-2021, 12:42 PM   #50
Guru

City: Vermont
Yamaha.

And if at all possible, get one with EFI. In my experience, the combination of EFI plus dosing every tank with Stabil completely solves the fuel problem.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:18 PM   #51
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
My primary dinghy motor is a 1973 6 hp Evinrude. It just starts and runs no question asked. The backup is a 2009 5 hp Tohatsu that buzzes my arm numb.
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:10 PM   #52
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: North Star
Vessel Model: Lindell 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
I loved the 2 strokes as well but the fact is they are dirty. They pollute both the water and the air which was the driving force behind the development of 4strk outboards....also forgot to mention they stink when running. But i certainly loved the old 15hp Johnson and Evenrude 2strk engines they are sweet running and light weight power systems
Not to be flippant, but don't we all drive around these huge diesels which belch soot and unburnt fuel? I really think a small displacement 2 stroke is a drop in the bucket in comparison.

And I had a lot of fuel which ended up in the water when I had my 4-stroke Yamaha since it was constantly having fuel issues, flooding and having carb overflows. Nasty little thing that shook the bejesus out of my arm....
Old 09-16-2021, 10:27 PM   #53
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
I found a new Merc 3.3 2 stroke as they were beginning to phase out, fussy about fresh fuel, otherwise good. Predecessor was a 5hp Tohatsu,totally reliable rock solid 2 stroke. Still have good memories of a 9hp Suzuki 2 stroke with twin cylinders, quiet, smooth,easy starting.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:34 PM   #54
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Not to be flippant, but don't we all drive around these huge diesels which belch soot and unburnt fuel? I really think a small displacement 2 stroke is a drop in the bucket in comparison.

And I had a lot of fuel which ended up in the water when I had my 4-stroke Yamaha since it was constantly having fuel issues, flooding and having carb overflows. Nasty little thing that shook the bejesus out of my arm....
Yes, its time they we insisted upon marine D engine systems that did not pollute the water and air. That said a far worse problem is plastic! It is every where and little is being done to correct this huge problem. All plastic is recyclable but no one wants it cause its cheaper to just use new ploymers. I would like to see an effort made to include the end of life costs into the initial purchase price to try and get a handle on this monster. Shoes for example: Everyone is wearing plastic shoes and at end of life they go in the trash exactly the place they should not go. I've been thinking of shoes for a long time and can see no way to make use of them again but there must be away. I've taken a personnal vow to only wear leather, real leather not the artificle stuff passed off as leather which is just more polymers. I'm not having great luck finding suitable footwear that dosen't include plastics. My Danner boots I've had for years are leather except for the soles. I suppose soles if made of the proper type of plastic could be easily recycled?
Any ideas?