Old 01-06-2019, 12:01 AM   #21
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
There is plenty we can do about it. First of all, don’t accept that it is going to happen. Report anyone dumping garbage. Show your government that you want action to stop it. It is changing because most people are NOT accepting this type of disregard for the health of our oceans and shoreline.
Sir, please don't misconstrue what I said. I abhor polluting and anyone that consciously does it. BUT I have zero illusions about what is really going on OFFSHORE. Lol. It's a massive problem. It's really just "out of sight and out of mind".......SHIPS MUST MOVE CARGO. 24/7/365.

Of course the Top Gun yacht was wrong and absolutely should be held accountable. 110%....but the real violators do it legally all day long.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:40 AM   #22
FF
Guru

"Leave a Clean Wake"

Is the honorable way to cruise.,,,,,,,,,,, The SSCA motto.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:26 AM   #23

City: New York
Hangem high..
Genecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:19 AM   #24
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
I imagine someone picked it up and threw it in the proper receptacle. If man is present it is not pristine. Some ass will always dump his garbage where it doesn't belong. Some one else is paid to pick it up, job security. You cannot educate or legislate indifference and stupidity.

No, no one who draws a paycheck picked it up. Perhaps a conscientious cruiser picked it up and packed it out to an island that accepts trash (sometimes at $5/bag, depending), but there ARE NO receptacles in the park. NO trash service. Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints.

I'm sure there are charters that treat their cruising grounds with respect, just as there are the slobs highlighted in the posts about the trash who treat the cruising grounds as their own private litter box. "The world is my trash can" mentality. They richly deserve as much negative attention as they can possibly garner, perhaps a stint in service as a garbage scow...

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:47 AM   #25

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Name: Odin
Vessel Model: Albin 28TE
One can only hope:

Quote:
Excerpt - Exuma Cays Land and Sea Park (ECLSP) Rules & Regulations:

• Trash disposal is not available within Exuma Park — take out everything you bring in.

• Offences carry a penalty not to exceed $500 and confiscation of any boat, vessel or aircraft and of all equipment, stores, provisions or other effects used in committing the offence.
LN-RTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:06 AM   #26
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
I think if this is true that there should be fines levied. However, a few screen grabs from an alleged video isn’t very substantial evidence. Nor is giving someone filming you the finger an illegal thing. Even in the Bahamas. I fear this is just standard-issue internet clickbait. But, of course, it is only a suspicion. Viral things like this tend to always turn out poorly for a hordes of people that get their panties in a bunch, only to be left holding the bag... so-to-speak. If there is better evidence, I think they should face the same fines as anyone for their crime, but i have become so skeptical of like/share shaming, that I will sit back and see where the truth will land.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:29 AM   #27

From another board:

Quote:
It's not staged or hearsay, we are currently in the central Exumas and heard the whole thing on the radio. Another yacht in the mooring field saw it happening and got video/pictures and called it in to the park warden but in the meantime top gun left the mooring field, I am unaware if they have been found or delt with as of yet. The park staff along with the Bahamian Defense Force do an outstanding job and I have faith if found they will be made to pay. As for the comment about it possibly being a misunderstanding, the park rules are crystal clear these are just some ignorant asses.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:31 AM   #28
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
I hope the Bahamian Govt. confiscates the boat and it bankrupts the captain and the owner. The Exumas are being ruined by people like this.

Also, though these are not under way, Jet Skis should not be allowed to be operated above idle speed anywhere in the Bahamas except in certain areas close to beach rental concessions. Certainly not in a National Park.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Glad they got him.

Not being snide here—and I know Sunseekers are nice boats—but is an 82-footer really a mega-yacht?
What is a megayacht?

A mega yacht is another name for a privately owned yacht that measures over 24 metres long and carries a professional crew. This is the same definition for a superyacht, and the average price of a second-hand mega yacht for sale is €7.9 million, according to superyacht sales data from 2014.

There are currently more than 10,000 mega yachts in the world, with around 150 new yachts delivered each year. Motor yachts are the most popular by far, with sailing yachts counting for less than 20% of all mega yachts in existence.

https://www.boatinternational.com/ya...plained--27357
Old 01-06-2019, 10:13 PM   #30
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by LN-RTP View Post
What is a megayacht?

A mega yacht is another name for a privately owned yacht that measures over 24 metres long and carries a professional crew. This is the same definition for a superyacht, and the average price of a second-hand mega yacht for sale is €7.9 million, according to superyacht sales data from 2014.

There are currently more than 10,000 mega yachts in the world, with around 150 new yachts delivered each year. Motor yachts are the most popular by far, with sailing yachts counting for less than 20% of all mega yachts in existence.

https://www.boatinternational.com/ya...plained--27357
Thanks for clarifying. So, at 82 ft, the offending yacht is three feet over the (79-ft) minimum to be considered a megayacht. I did note that the asking price for used Sunseeker 82s seems to be just north of $1M—a paltry sum for something as pretentious sounding as a megayacht.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:16 AM   #31
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post

Also, though these are not under way, Jet Skis should not be allowed to be operated above idle speed anywhere in the Bahamas except in certain areas close to beach rental concessions. Certainly not in a National Park.
Why?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:19 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Why?
Noise pollution, wake, etc.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:44 AM   #33
Guru

Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Does anybody have access to any of the AIS tracking sites? I wonder where they are?

Is it legal for a vessel under charter to turn the AIS off if they are so equipped?
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:47 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Thanks for clarifying. So, at 82 ft, the offending yacht is three feet over the (79-ft) minimum to be considered a megayacht. I did note that the asking price for used Sunseeker 82s seems to be just north of $1M—a paltry sum for something as pretentious sounding as a megayacht.
I’m surprised that something so dinky would be in the same class as the new 300 foot plus yachts: that’s what I think of when I hear “megayacht”, not something under 30 meters.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:49 AM   #35
Guru

Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by LN-RTP View Post
Noise pollution, wake, etc.
Might as well ban outboards and big boats then or make the whole country a no wake zone.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:52 AM   #36
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
This appears to be the boat in question: https://www.boatbookings.com/yacht_s....php?pid=29789

On a boat that size you’d think they could find room for a few bags of trash for a few days.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:06 AM   #37
Guru

I’ve been calling around and a broker who shall remain nameless told me that Top Gun is on the MLS, so lots of companies will be able to book them. But he claims the listing agency is XXXXXXX Charters in Miami.

I called and left a message asking if they were aware of what was going on, but I haven’t heard back from them. They screen their calls so no direct contact.

Just got off the phone with them and they are horrified! Very concerned about this and they seem to be true lovers of the Bahamas as well. The broker has not yet been able to contact Top Gun to hear their side of the story, but he promises to get to the bottom of this and I believe him. From the tone of his voice this was a very big deal to them and not simply how it might affect his business, but that the whole thing was extremely offensive to them.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:59 AM   #38
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
I’ve been calling around and a broker who shall remain nameless told me that Top Gun is on the MLS, so lots of companies will be able to book them. But he claims the listing agency is XXXXXXX Charters in Miami.

I called and left a message asking if they were aware of what was going on, but I haven’t heard back from them. They screen their calls so no direct contact.

Just got off the phone with them and they are horrified! Very concerned about this and they seem to be true lovers of the Bahamas as well. The broker has not yet been able to contact Top Gun to hear their side of the story, but he promises to get to the bottom of this and I believe him. From the tone of his voice this was a very big deal to them and not simply how it might affect his business, but that the whole thing was extremely offensive to them.
Well done.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:40 AM   #39

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post

I'm sure it's just an off the collar remark and not what you really feel because that's crazy.

Could it be that this guy called someone to pick up his trash and they dumped it?

Probably not the case but it's possible.
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:11 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Might as well ban outboards and big boats then or make the whole country a no wake zone.
That would be great..

In the meantime there is an Idle only for dingies in the park and I believe jetskies are banned, but not sure.