Old 06-09-2020, 01:33 PM   #1

City: Charleston Sc
Medium Range cruising

Hey all
I have spent years reading this forum and have learned a great deal.
One thing I am struggling to wrap my head around is what type of boat is appropriate to reach beyond the Bahamas.
I understand if you want to cross oceans you are looking at Kady Krogen and Nordhavn. If you just want to go to the NE and down to the Bahamas, lots of boats will work for you.
I don’t want to cross oceans but would like the ability to get to the Southern Caribbean and possibly even through the Panama Canal. I want something slightly faster than a Nordhavn and want something with better outdoor areas.
I like the Swift Trawler 44 & 47 as well as the Grand Banks in the 40+ range. These seem to have plenty of range but would you feel comfortable taking them south of the Bahamas? If not what would you suggest?
Price wise under $1M and under ~50’.
gt7834a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:51 PM   #2
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Given your $1m budget, you have a ton of options. I am refitting my tiny Willard 36 for basically the same requirements to go from California to Florida. Here is my list along with some comments based on your list:

1. Stabilized. You can decide what type (fin, paravane, gyro, etc.). But stabilization is mandatory.
2. 1500 nm range. This is somewhat arbitrary. 1000 nms is enough to cruise from Maine to Alaska, but I chose 1500 nms as it gives flexibility in where I stop. Fuel is particularly expensive in Bahamas and Caribbean - having range to save a buck or two a gallon is nice. For your use and desire for speed, you'll have to decide what speed you want to have at what range. 1500 nm range at 15 kts (for example) is pretty unlikely.
3. No exterior woodwork. Sun is brutal and will make short order of any exposed brightwork. For you, this would rule-out a lot of GB style boats. For me, this means I had all the caprails encapsulated in fiberglass and painted LPU.
4. Flybridge. Several recent threads and I won't re-hash except to say that many of these areas have shoal anchorages. I like an open flybridge with a hard top over. Personal choice.
5. Protected running gear. Again, this will confound your speed requirement, but for me, I like the ability to touch bottom without damage.
6. Engine room access and room for stores. By far, this is the biggest compromise I've made. A 36-footer just doesn't have much room. But it's important for long term running.
7. Water tight. Spray over the bow is fairly common and nothing is more annoying that chasing leaky windows with every towel on the boat.
8. Easy access to dinghy at anchor. This rules-out full-width aft cabin boats unless they have a cockpit extension of some sort. The DeFever 44+5 is a great example, though does not have the turn of speed you're looking for. Tags many other bases though - a helluva boat with a fine engine room.

I think you will need to reconcile what 'speed' means to you. The Nordhavn 57 is a relatively fast boat that easily cruises at 9+ knots and makes 225 nm days while burning 6gph. Easily has a 2000 nm range. A bit bigger than you mentioned, but under $1m these days. Yes, can cross oceans, but in my opinion, a great boat for serious coastal passages too.

I'm sure there are many others who will contribute. Great dream - good luck.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:04 PM   #3
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
How about an old Hatteras or Viking sportfisher or mototyacht? At hull speed with 1000+ gallons fuel there’s your medium range with the potential to go twice as fast if you need to. 1/3 to 1/2 of your $1M budget will buy a good solid boat and the savings will pay for any extra slip fees for a larger more comfortable boat. 55 to 65 feet will have a lot of choice of good boats.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:10 PM   #4

I’m fine spending the majority of time between eight and 10 knots. I would like the ability to go up to 15 knots but it’s not mandatory. I just don’t think I can stand spending most of my time going 5 to 6 knots.

I really like the larger cockpits as I feel like at anchor that will be where we spend most of our time. When we charter boats, that’s where we always end up. So no aft cabins. I definitely want a flybridge.

I would rather avoid a ton of exterior teak but it’s not a dealbreaker for me. I have an old Whaler with teak and I like working on it. Granted the scale is vastly different. The amount of teak on a Grand Banks 47 feels overwhelming.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
How about an old Hatteras or Viking sportfisher or mototyacht? At hull speed with 1000+ gallons fuel there’s your medium range with the potential to go twice as fast if you need to. 1/3 to 1/2 of your $1M budget will buy a good solid boat and the savings will pay for any extra slip fees for a larger more comfortable boat. 55 to 65 feet will have a lot of choice of good boats.
I have looked at those and thought about them. My only problem with them is there’s no lower helm or pilot house. If you’re planning to make a multi day crossing that is a dealbreaker to me
Old 06-09-2020, 04:20 PM   #6
Guru

Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Consider getting yourself a copy of The Gentleman's Guide to Passages South.

BTW, I wouldn't call what you are planning on doing medium Range. To me that is certainly long range.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:12 PM   #7
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt7834a View Post
I’m fine spending the majority of time between eight and 10 knots. I would like the ability to go up to 15 knots but it’s not mandatory.

I really like the larger cockpits as I feel like at anchor that will be where we spend most of our time. When we charter boats, that’s where we always end up.

I would rather avoid a ton of exterior teak but it’s not a dealbreaker for me.
For what you say you want to do, If it were me I'd buy an older fleming 55 for less than $1Mil & put it in top shape. Huge cockpit that is covered by the boat deck, 1000 gals of fuel, speed in the teens, great resale value & a stunning interior.
Attached Thumbnails
55 Fleming.jpg  
Old 06-09-2020, 05:25 PM   #8
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
For what you say you want to do, If it were me I'd buy an older fleming 55 for less than $1Mil & put it in top shape. Huge cockpit that is covered by the boat deck, 1000 gals of fuel, speed in the teens, great resale value & a stunning interior.
Good suggestion.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:27 PM   #9
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
There is a Kadey Krogen 52 for sale in Florida asking $1.1 million. Great boat. Good range and offshore capable. Cruising speed about 8+ knots. Will not do 15 K.
The boat has hydraulic stabilizers and hydraulic bow and stern thrusters. Seems to meet what you have asked for, except the higher top speed. Only 1800 hours (2012 BOAT) on the John Deere single engine.
My good friends own one of these, and it is a great boat.
Good luck with your boat hunting.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:58 PM   #10
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Another option of a boat (different style) that could do the travels you ask (if you watch weather carefully) would be the American Tug 485 (flybridge) for sale in Florida. This boat will do the 12 knots or so (and a bit more) if wanted. This one is stabilized and has bow and stern thrusters. Semi displacement vs full displacement for the Krogen. 2015, low hours but 600 hp. Asking $900,000.
There, done boat hunting for you
Old 06-09-2020, 06:19 PM   #11

I try to like the tug style boats because they do seem to check a lot of boxes but I just do not like how they look. Maybe I can get over it. I need to get on one and check them out.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:19 PM   #12
Guru

City: Friday Harbor, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
Agreed. As I read the OPs request I immediately thought he just described a Fleming. Several listed here that are well below $1M that would fit the bill.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats-for...ming/model-55/

If you have some time watch Tony Fleming's videos on YouTube. Venture went from the Aleutians to the Sea of Cortez to the Galapagos Islands, through the Panama Canal, up the other side, along the Loop, Nova Scotia and beyond.
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:33 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream345 View Post
Agreed. As I read the OPs request I immediately thought he just described a Fleming. Several listed here that are well below $1M that would fit the bill.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats-for...ming/model-55/

If you have some time watch Tony Fleming's videos on YouTube. Venture went from the Aleutians to the Sea of Cortez to the Galapagos Islands, through the Panama Canal, up the other side, along the Loop, Nova Scotia and beyond.
Problem is, as has been discussed on another thread here, there are one to none for sale in the US. A strange phenomenon.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:15 PM   #14
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Another vote for Fleming. And I agree with the advise, get something older then upgrade to your maximum budget. This way you are getting what you want. If you get a used boat close to the top of your budget, then you could have money problems making it yours. I'd rather buy a $700,000 and put $300,000.

And I agree watch Tony Flemings vids.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:20 PM   #15
Guru

gt7834a. Steve D'Antonio is a commercial member on here offering boat buying consulting.

With your budget and plans, it might be an idea to engage with him and see what he offers.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:44 PM   #16

I like the Fleming. It’s a little bigger than I was wanting but I would consider it since it’s small for its length if that makes sense. Unfortunately there are zero for sale. That’s the type of boat I’m looking for though.
I agree with others about buying used. I said my budget was 1 million but really my plan is to buy about 5 - $600,000 boat and upgrade from there unless it was in immaculate shape.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:18 PM   #17
Guru

City: Windmill Harbour, Hilton Head Island, SC
Vessel Name: River Girl
Vessel Model: 2004 DeFever 49 RPH
Suggest u further refine your requirements. Medium Range Cruising is a rather all encompassing term. Please define why u want faster than (approx.) hull speed.
For instance -want to cruise the AICW, do the loop? Nordies carry too much depth & have marginal rear vision for daily docking/locking with any degree of comfort, but are superb in the Caribbean, draft a potential issue in the Bahamas & South FL. I have difficulty comparing the build & fitting quality of Swift Trawlers & Nordhavns in the same sentence. But following the Gentleman’s path probably doable with the Bebe. My personal opinion is that offshore (displacement) boats are splendidly built but have some definite shortcomings for coastal cruising & as are a PITA if u want to loop. Similarly, a spacious salon with non fixed furniture is great inshore but a nightmare in a sea where u need to hold on for every step. So consider carefully how u actually will use your dream boat - it will drive your choice.
(My favorite was a Nordhavn 46 Fly or Selene 42/47. Krogen Express 47, or GB 49. Ended up with a DeFever 49 for practical reasons)
Old 06-09-2020, 08:29 PM   #18

City: Houston / Ketchikan
Vessel Name: Backchuck
Vessel Model: 28' Crozier / Hunt
www.burryachtsales.com

They are the East Coast Fleming dealer, 3 - 55's and 1 -53 in inventory.
Jon H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:02 PM   #19
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
What about a nice Defever 44?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...shore-3464487/
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:34 PM   #20

City: Seattle
Vessel Model: 55 Offshore
I am looking for a similar boat and price range (55-65 up to about $1M) but on the west coast. Inventory seems very slim to me. Maybe it’s just because I’m looking / serious. But it seems like maybe folks are hanging on for the local vacation etc. this year who would be selling normally? I’m trying to practice patience.
Bradenvlp is offline   Reply With Quote