Old 08-21-2018, 10:08 PM   #1
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
AC & WG NOAA Charts...what happened?

Is it just me (a distinct possibility) or have the NOAA charts disappeared from Active Captain & Waterway Guide? I can't pull them up on either site. Anybody else having a similar issue?
Old 08-22-2018, 06:31 AM   #2
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
I used the WG NOAA charts yesterday for the run into Charleston. When I just went in, yes, they are no longer there.

No idea why.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:43 PM   #3
Guru

Back on again.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:49 PM   #4
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
Good deal, thanks. I just checked & it's working for me so I'm glad to know it wasn't something dumb I was doing. The Navionics charts are ok but for a general referencing chart, I like NOAA charts. Easy to read plus they have the magenta line!
Old 08-23-2018, 04:14 PM   #5
Guru

.. and the MMs!
Old 08-27-2018, 03:42 PM   #6

City: Boynton Beach, FL
If you find that charts are not available online at one source or another you can also access charts for free here: Navionics ChartViewer
Has the same data as the Navionics app and chips so if you get the app or a chip you'll see the exact same charts. Pretty convenient because you can do some routing while you're at work.
cruiserChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:57 PM   #7
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
Good deal, thanks. I just checked & it's working for me so I'm glad to know it wasn't something dumb I was doing. The Navionics charts are ok but for a general referencing chart, I like NOAA charts. Easy to read plus they have the magenta line!
You can get all the US NOAA Raster charts with the Nobletec Time Zero app for IPad. I need the big picture and this app provides exactly what I want.

https://mytimezero.com/tz-iboat
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:11 AM   #8
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Ever since Garmin messed up Active Captain's on-line chart viewer's functionality, I have been looking for something similar. Thanks to cruisingChick's post above, I think I have found it.

The Navionics Chartviewer uses vector charts unlike AC's raster. That is a plus and a minus, but I must say Navionics chart rendering is as good as I have seen. Buoys are clearly green and red (unlike others) and depth contours and values are comprehensive (unlike others).

I particularly like it's route preparation and saving capability. It lets you easily link waypoints to create a route. There is a box to the left of the screen that gives the length of each segment, the time to reach the next waypoint based on the boat speed you enter, and even the fuel burned for each segment as well as overall totals for these.

Presumably these cloud saved routes can be synced to a tablet app or downloaded to a Navionics chartplotter.

The Navionics chartviewer does not give you Active Captain icons or data, nor does it give the ability to switch to road or satellite views. If Garmin and Navionics could team up to integrate their two chart viewers that would be the best of both worlds. How about it guys?

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:43 AM   #9
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Update on my previous post about the Navionics Chart Viewer:

I figured out how to get satellite image overlays. You just select Map Options from the menu and click on satellite overlay. Also the land detail even without satellite view selected is better than anything I have seen. The maze of canals in Punta Gorda is very detailed. Since it is more detailed than NOAA data I am sure that Navionics has integrated some satellite imagery into the nav display.

Also the detail available in the Bahamas is also amazing. No other on-line or free or almost free iPad app gives you detail in the Bahamas. Getting to like it more and more. Add AC data and it will be a total winner.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote