Me and my Johnson...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1454821123.526977.jpg

True love, only possible between a Man and his Motor!

I once wanted a 2 stroke Johnson but my wife vetoed the idea as she claimed two strokes wasn't enough

Is that a pre Bombardier Recreational Products one ? I don't think there was much love for the newer ones

???????

?

It's a 1995 2 stroke. Bad aSS on my 10' rib.

Funny thing was we were singing karaoke in my garage, and some dude said "hey man, you have a nice Johnson in you garage!" From then on every song was about "my Johnson".

Last edited:
I've got an old Johnson to, years ago it was a two stroke but now its a 4 stroke. It used to start by itself or just one small pull at most, now it takes considerable yanking to get it started. It works good once it gets going. Maybe the difficulty I have getting it going is due to not using it as much as in the past, but then again, my wife has no problems at all getting it started.

"Johnson, Johnson?.....youse don't have to call me Johnson!"

When your last name is " Johnson " then the possibilities are endless.
Our new to us 46 wood Grand Banks created one one such opportunity. " Big Woodie ". We looked at another boat that was named " Little Gurkin ".
The admiral put the kabosh on the first and the second was offensive to me.

The second boat was owned by a guy whose last name was Pickle. Go figure.:D

We've a real nice condition 1975 50 hp 2 stroke Johnson powering our near-cherry mono hull Crestliner 4 seat, tow-behind runabout with full cover canvas top and "manual" windshield wiper on starboard pilot side... what more could ya ask for! It tops out gps 39.6 mph with just one (me - 240 lbs). With us two she'll run all day at easy cruise of 20 to 25 knots getting 20 +/- mpg. She's a real econo little speed boat with comfort and seaworthy attributes. :thumb:

My wife simply loves that 2 stroker Johnson... cause it continues giving two stroke pleasures for many hours at a time! :dance: :lol:

I really like my 1985 2 stroke 6 HP Mercury. Push the button and it starts. :D

Ted

You gotta love a two stroke. Much higher ' STM ' aka " RPM " capability. Just gotta insure the oil mix is right. Otherwise they get gummed up. :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
Although a real Johnson, I use a Nissan 2 stroke.

Nissan 2 stroke is also really good o/b. I had 8 hp on a dink... 1st pull every time. No muss no fuss.

My mechanic says the mid-'90s Johnson 15hp 2-stroke is the best outboard motor ever made. I find it hard to argue that point.

My mechanic says the mid-'90s Johnson 15hp 2-stroke is the best outboard motor ever made. I find it hard to argue that point.

That's the one I have on my RIB in Baja. :thumb: Great motor, starts every time.

Cheers, Bill

Lets not forget the Mercury double strokes, my late 90s 50hp runs and starts great with minimal maintenance - gas & oil plus the yearly lower unit oil change and the occasional new impeller.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

My trusted Seagull. It always started.

Our 1998 5-hp 2-stroke Johnson.... was made by Suzuki.

-Chris

Lets not forget the Mercury double strokes, my late 90s 50hp runs and starts great with minimal maintenance - gas & oil plus the yearly lower unit oil change and the occasional new impeller.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Back in the day... 50's, 60's, 70's I heard bad rap about Mercs; in that they ran too hot and blew up too soon. Few years ago I listened to highly respected marine o/b and i/b mechanic relate to a few of us at a gathering that Merc's should be avoided due to more often breakdowns and expensive parts. Actually, you are the first I've seen praising a Merc. I'm brought to this question: Although I have always sided with (owned) Johnson, Evinrude, and Nissan o/b's... and if Merc's are bad mouthed too often... why in recent years (the last decade or more) have I seen the majority of new o/b's on boats being Mrecs? Hot/smart promoting/advertising?? Lower initial price on new o/b??? Or, has the down-beat info I've listened to for decades regarding Merc's stemmed from many years past; and, now Mercury has become a really good o/b manufacturer?

Deep in SF Delta where we boat there are many hundreds of fast fishing boats that compete in tournaments... with 100 hp to 300 hp o/b's on them. I'd say 75% or more are Mercs!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom