Old 11-02-2019, 01:21 PM   #1

City: San diego
Vessel Name: Dessert
Engine question

I’m very interested in a 65 foot boat that has twin Man i6 800. I know they are made in Germany and are popular with buses and trucking, but that’s as much as I know. How is their parts distribution in the U.S.? Are they slow and expensive like Volvo? Can your average mechanic work on them? I’m only a 2 out of 5 rating mechanic myself. Sorry for all these questions but I’m more familiar with CAT. Than Man. I bow to TF for their knowledge and honesty.
Captain Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:54 PM   #2
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Those are high hp engines for a not so big boat. I assume it goes fast. You have the usual problems of exhaust gas temperatures and engine lifespan. MAN makes a good, reliable engine. My experience is the big engines and parts are available world wide. But it's not like parts for a US made engine. There is a big parts depot on the East Coast, don't know of one out west. On ship engines, ordered parts will be waiting at your next port or flown out to you for lots of $.
You don't have the ease of parts in every state and every big city like with Cat, Cummins, or Detroit. I don't know the availability of trained MAN mechanics. Non MAN mechanics are not going to have the diagnostic tools needed on all newer engines. The typical marina mechanic will probably have no experience with MAN. Because MAN isn't as widely used in the US, there aren't aftermarket parts. So everything is whatever price MAN charges.

Compared to Volvo? A steam engine would be better than a Volvo. At least a blacksmith shop could make you a part.
You might try https://www.yachtforums.com/. Mostly East Coast, bigger yachts, and more MAN engines there.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 02:21 PM   #3
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I mostly agree with Lepke's comments above. Although I don't use them (do all work myself) I believe that many marine diesel mechanics won't touch an engine that they are not familiar with. If you can find someone local who will work with you and maintain the engines, then ok. The Man is a very solid engine. As noted you might have to wait for parts to be shipped across country or across the pond.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 03:02 PM   #4
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
One member of the forum has a big vessel (Terra Nova Explorer) with MAN engines. His boat is named Super MAN and his user name is 101Tug.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:57 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Glenn View Post
I’m very interested in a 65 foot boat that has twin Man i6 800. I know they are made in Germany and are popular with buses and trucking, but that’s as much as I know. How is their parts distribution in the U.S.? Are they slow and expensive like Volvo? Can your average mechanic work on them? I’m only a 2 out of 5 rating mechanic myself. Sorry for all these questions but I’m more familiar with CAT. Than Man. I bow to TF for their knowledge and honesty.
Wifey B: Love my MAN'S.

We have or have had several boat with MAN's. Now, I'm assuming you're talking recent somewhat recent engines. I don't go back that far, but assuming we're talking MAN Common Rail. Any complaints I've heard were from before common rail.

Parts distribution and repairs are fine. You get certified MAN mechanics. Now, CAT may be more prevalent in the US but worldwide they don't come close in volume. Definitely not slow.

We have 800's on my fave boat, my Baby Riva. 44' and runs 40+ knots, cruising at 35+. Definitely not slow. MAN dominates the market on medium hp and speed engines. So, I love love love my MAN 800's.

MAN vs. CAT. CAT has a bit of a cult US following but MAN has more hp in the same size. CAT dominates the SF market, MAN dominates the Performance and sport boat market. Also, much quieter than CAT. In the US, likely more CAT mechanics, but plenty of MAN. I hear CAT people say MAN is expensive to maintain but frankly don't buy that it's more or, if it is, only marginally.

Now, depending on what you're looking for, thinking of typical MAN installations, 800's are a bit small for a 65' boat. 1000 and above would be more common. We've had 800's, 1200's and 1360's and no issues with any.

In the 800 hp to 1400 hp ranges, worldwide, MAN is by far the leader. They now are pushing up to 1900 hp. Above the MAN and CAT ranges, MTU owns the market.

I'd recommend taking some MAN courses or at least spending time working with a solid MAN mechanic. Follow their maintenance schedule religiously.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:58 PM   #6
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

Now, depending on what you're looking for, thinking of typical MAN installations, 800's are a bit small for a 65' boat. 1000 and above would be more common.
How can you possibly claim that without knowing what the boat is?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:19 PM   #7
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
No personal MAN knowledge, but the owner of the local shop I use mentioned that the cost of MAN parts would, 'take your breath away'. Right in there with Volvo in that regard. No local MAN service here so it comes from Seattle and you're on the meter up and back.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:40 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
How can you possibly claim that without knowing what the boat is?
Wifey B: Then I'll stay they're smaller than I've seen used on 65' boats. Not saying they won't be adequate but the time to plane would be a concern and I'm assuming the boat planes or wouldn't have such engines. We have a 63' with MAN 1360's, had a 65' with 1200's although 1000 was standard. Best friend's 56' has 1000's.

Admittedly would be nice to know what boat.

As to the parts cost, I hear that all the time from CAT people and, yet, the knowledgeable engineers I know say the parts and the service is little different, perhaps 10%. I think at one time the parts prices had a greater disparity than today.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:59 PM   #9

I didn’t want to muddle the discussion with the boat builder. It’s a Fleming 65. Top speed of 18 knots and I’m thinking a cruising speed of 10 knots. Thanks to all that responded.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:34 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
I didn’t want to muddle the discussion with the boat builder. It’s a Fleming 65. Top speed of 18 knots and I’m thinking a cruising speed of 10 knots. Thanks to all that responded.
Wifey B: Fleming doesn't aim for more speed so it makes sense. Great boat. I'm sure you've seen them but if not, they have their full performance charts on their web site with fuel usage and range at all speeds.

Great boat. One of the few "slow" boats that temps me as it can reach at least a little faster speeds. Still would be nicer with like a 1200 hp.

Don't let MAN naysayers discourage you on that boat. Just the quietness alone will make your cruising so much more enjoyable.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:24 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Then I'll stay they're smaller than I've seen used on 65' boats.
Could be a trawler
65 ft 100 tonne steely a mate owns has a 325hp 855 Cummins same engine in our 60fter
Another mate with a 65 fter has a 170hp 8lxb Gardner
Old 11-02-2019, 10:28 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:

There are a few in our part of the world.
Never seen any of them going faster than 8.5knots.
Thats a whole lot of HP for doing relatively slow speeds
Old 11-03-2019, 12:23 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
There are a few in our part of the world.
Never seen any of them going faster than 8.5knots.
Thats a whole lot of HP for doing relatively slow speeds
Wifey B: That's the nature of Flemings to have the ability to go faster. As to an 800 hp MAN in a steel trawler, I can't imagine it. Never heard of a MAN in one. Cummins yes, MAN no.

78 Fleming has MAN 1550's, WOT 21 knots.
65 Fleming MAN 800's, 18 knots.
58 Fleming MAN 800's, 20 knots.
55 Fleming Cummins 500's, 18 knots.

I remember they will put larger in some.

I've never known of MAN's in full displacement boats in this size range. Not saying it can't happen, just doesn't often if at all. They offer 730 hp to 2000 hp right now. Man targets medium weights and speeds.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:31 AM   #14
Guru

Wifey B: I should have said for other applications they'll go far larger, like for commercial ships and power plants. MAN is owned now by VW, since 2011.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:48 AM   #15

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Old Town Loon
The Flemming is my dream boat and if they fit the MAN engines they must be good. Sorry my knowledge on them is not extensive so I can't contribute much but if you buy it I will say
Jetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:15 AM   #16
Guru

City: Northport
A couple of boats that my daughter helps reposition have the Mann engines and they have not given any problems over many years running up and down to Fla..
The larger Bayliners have Manns as well and show no issues from that owners group - they have/had a rather extensive list of cross referenced parts for the engines including but not limited to: water pump impellers, belts, fuel filters, lube filters, injectors, etc.
Most all of their hundreds of posts indicated that most parts were readily available at good pricing but that in general they do not need that much work.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:18 AM   #17
Guru

City: Northport
More details and performance charts on the Fleming 65':

https://www.flemingyachts.com/model/Fleming-65
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:50 AM   #18
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
A couple boat neighbors have MANs in Viking fishboats, and they seem happy with 'em. The "mandatory" services -- by their MAN techs -- had some huge (to me) price tags, though. Not sure what the "mandatory" services included, at what intervals.

Didn't know the Flemings have MANs; we're next door to the local dealer, so our immediate area is awash with Fleming eye candy.

-Chris
Old 11-03-2019, 10:46 AM   #19

I just talked to Fleming and they said they also have Man 1000hp and Cummins 405hp and maybe able to work with me on other engines. I like the idea of cruising at 10 knots (smelling the roses) it’s economical and the top speed of 18 knots to scoot out of the way of things. I don’t know much about other engines of this size to pass on to Fleming. My plans are to cruise up to Alaska and then back down to Panama and across to East coast of US. I just didn’t want to be stuck somewhere for 3 months waiting on parts or searching for a mechanic to work on Man engines. But after all the feedback from TF, Man should be fine if I can get a list of parts distributors and certified techs along the way.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:08 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
A couple boat neighbors have MANs in Viking fishboats, and they seem happy with 'em. The "mandatory" services -- by their MAN techs -- had some huge (to me) price tags, though. Not sure what the "mandatory" services included, at what intervals.

Didn't know the Flemings have MANs; we're next door to the local dealer, so our immediate area is awash with Fleming eye candy.

-Chris
Look at the "mandatory" services of CAT or any others as well. Not small.

Here is the MAN maintenance schedule:

https://www.jimmyrogersyachtbroker.c...ntenance-plan/

or in another form

http://www.jimmyrogersyachtbroker.co...nance-plan.pdf

Only items that stand out are adjusting valve clearance every 800 hours and then every two years changing both valve caps on expansion tanks and cleaning the inter-cooler, charge air pipes, turbocharger, and heat exchanger. Actually very similar to CAT 1000 hour service.