Old 03-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #181
Guru

City: Szczecin
Vessel Name: Dryade
Vessel Model: Trawler 72
On witch base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiziger View Post
I am the last one who say "please stop posting", I only say I will not respond anymore.

Still think you are better off buying a nice house then a +50 ft trawler.

My 2 centavos

did you built your advise:
"Still think you are better off buying a nice house then a +50 ft trawler."

Just for exemple I have a friend ,he never saw the ocean but he built a 12 m lenght boat
(in Moutain !!)
Bring his boat to the sea, we navigate 5 nm together and he said : i like that , I will sailing to Mareseile (from Martigues) but finaly he don't stop go to Balearics, Canaries , Brazil, west Indies, Usa and come back to France ....

And during this time lot of "experienced" sailors who detains THE true stay .... in their berth
long-cours.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #182
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Walt,
I can appreciate your point. The reason that I need a big boat is because 85% of the time we will be docked at the marina as liveaboards. I want my family to be comfortable while living aboard at the dock. It won't take much for us, but a 20' boat certainly won't do it.
I get clear picture of marine naiveté that is beyond comprehension!

Been fun though!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #183
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
GG-I will echo KSanders-keep us posted. Most of us have had the same or a similar dream. I do know folks, myself included, that started on larger boats. It can be done and has been done, many times. I appreciate what you are doing and do hope you get to the end of the road.

I also will reiterate what I told your Mom the other day-Get yourself down to Lauderdale ASAP and check out the 75'DeFever in person and with a good surveyor. IMHO-that is the best suited boat you have shown us, it is seriously for sale by a very motivated owner. You have looked at a lot of boats from a distance-it should be time to put feet on deck and get a true feel for what will work for you. As with most of us, when you walk on "The Boat", the boat will let you know it is the right one!

Good Luck
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #184
Veteran Member

City: Wisconsin
Lin & Larry Pardey have written a number of books about sailing. I just started reading Cruising in Seraffyn, their first book that’s been republished a number of times. When they started out for the first time, a number of people tried to discourage them, tried to get them not to go, but they spent a lifetime sailing and showed the way for may to follow.

I do not know why there is so much negativity on the Trawler Forum, but I think it might be because you are female. I do know that the American Sailing Association has classes only for women because of the interference in the learning process by husbands. I am amazed the way you have put up with all the negativity. For my own selfish reasons, I would really like to see you hang in there at least until the ice on the lakes melt and the snow is gone as it really has given me something to do here this winter watching your process unfold. I have pushed the idea of motor sailors some; however, I can see you really want to stay away from sails because it would be just another complication, and that’s true.

You have your female friend who has a 100 ton rating to help with your hands on learning. Eventually I imagine you will go for that rating yourself, which will be a lot more than most anyone here has. You could start with the theoretical classroom work, take the test, and then collect the time and experience needed to eventually get that license. I have learned a lot from formal classes. I just finished the American Sailing Association Coastal Navigation Course and can recommend it for the trawler owner. After all, the principles of coastal navigation are the same, whether it’s by sail or by power.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #185
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds View Post
After all, the principles of coastal navigation are the same, whether it’s by sail or by power.
Not necessarily. When under sail, coastal obstructions and narrow channels become much more challenging, and dangerous especially when the wind is controlling the direction you can safely steer. Or equally bad when the lack of wind puts you at the mercy of the currents. The best prayers for sailors are often those intended for the iron genoa and that extra 30 liters of fuel.

We have a friend who 3 years ago when doing an Anacortes to Glacier Bay round trip did not raise the sails once on his very nice 40' sloop. He for sure used the same navigation techniques as us MV guys.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #186
Veteran Member

City: Wisconsin
Quote:
Ok, great, here is the document. Would love to hear what you think.
I read it. A lot of jargon with the conclusion that 20 more hours of study are needed using the rationale mentioned in the jargon. He suggests the boat would most likely need ballast after the conclusion of the 20 hours of study. My take on this is the boat could be made stable with ballast.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:24 PM   #187

City: Northern California
A ocean crossing power boat is a tall order. One that provides space for 7 is taller yet. Since you think 85% will be in a slip at a marina, have you considered a houseboat on inland waters? I know it misses the allure of crossing an ocean (I have crossed many), but for 1/5 the purchase cost and less than 1/10 the running cost, you could have triple the square feet and a modern, late model build. If the itch to cross an ocean still needs scratching, the depreciation of ownership of a used house boat is much less, besides, look how much easier it would be to move aboard in a sheltered inland waterway. You have the Great Loop (if your not too beamy and have decent freeboard) and many lakes that cater to houseboats. Just maybe after a year or two of schlepping groceries from the market to your car, from the car to the marina cart, two person effort of loading onto the stern, then lugging it all to the galley and dry stores on your boat, you might think just that aspect alone is a bit much. If not and you still want bigger, ocean capable, then one of the above steps could be easier, and that would be using your deck crane to hoist up the grocery filled cart.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #188
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
GG, if you look back at my post, 167 then at Ksanders 171, Longcourse62 @ 181. and THD's @ 183, I think you get the prevailing sentiment, so as suggested, don't give up, stay focused, and when the house sells, if that De Fever 75 is still not sold, making a tight offer might well get it for you, (or another if a better prospect presents itself in the meantime), and there be enough left over to make whatever additions/alterations that are needed, and you would have a terrific boat. If long offshore coastal trips don't find it a perfect ocean-going vessel, you could trade up.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #189

City: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
GG The nay Sayers will tell you to abandon your dreams. They will tell you to give up, buy a house with a white picket fence and take up gardening.

Let me tell you my story, because the naysayers said I couldn't do it.

23 years ago I was a single parent and I had a dream. My dream was moving To Alaska, buying an airplane, buying a cabin in the woods, and living an adventure.

Well I'm here to tell you, I raised my son and nobody died, I owned a floatplane, logged a thousand hours behind the wheel, own a cabin in the woods, and shot a really nice bear on my porch step.

In 2003 the naysayers told me I was going to die bringing a Bayliner all the way from Washington to Seattle. Well I'm here to tell you they were wrong, I brought my first Bayliner to Alaska and I lived, and I've lived through lots of other adventures since then.

What I'm getting at, is the adventures in life are the ones we make, and if you let people tell you you cannot do it, if you believe them, then you will have led less of a life.

So as far as I'm concerned, you just go right ahead asking your questions, continue living your dream, and eventually you will of had a better life than the naysayers
Kevin,
Thanks for the kind words and thanks for sharing your story. It is inspiring.
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
GG-I will echo KSanders-keep us posted. Most of us have had the same or a similar dream. I do know folks, myself included, that started on larger boats. It can be done and has been done, many times. I appreciate what you are doing and do hope you get to the end of the road.

I also will reiterate what I told your Mom the other day-Get yourself down to Lauderdale ASAP and check out the 75'DeFever in person and with a good surveyor. IMHO-that is the best suited boat you have shown us, it is seriously for sale by a very motivated owner. You have looked at a lot of boats from a distance-it should be time to put feet on deck and get a true feel for what will work for you. As with most of us, when you walk on "The Boat", the boat will let you know it is the right one!

Good Luck
THD,
Thanks for the good advice. I think we have decided to try and stay under 66', but I will look at that Defever, just in case, when we go to Florida mid April.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds View Post
I read it. A lot of jargon with the conclusion that 20 more hours of study are needed using the rationale mentioned in the jargon. He suggests the boat would most likely need ballast after the conclusion of the 20 hours of study. My take on this is the boat could be made stable with ballast.
Thanks for checking out that document for me. They were estimating $200k to finish the work, for a second, I was thinking again of considering that boat, but I have came back to my sense. It probably needs 4 times what they say and too many unknowns.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #192

What do you guys think of the Florida Bay Coaster? I know that it is NOT an ocean-crossing boat, but the interior space is amazing as a Plan B boat. I have been watching one on Yachtworld for some time, but had outruled it because of the design, but otherwise it might be perfect. I am somewhat concerned that one sunk, but, I don't think it was a design flaw, just bad luck or something?

They also seem to hold their value fairly well, so in a few years when it's time to upgrade to transAtlantic, I might not lose ALL of my money.

Westwinds,
It has John Deere engines, with low horespower, so it should get great fuel economy, right?

2000 Florida Bay Coaster 60 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 03-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
A ocean crossing power boat is a tall order. One that provides space for 7 is taller yet. Since you think 85% will be in a slip at a marina, have you considered a houseboat on inland waters? I know it misses the allure of crossing an ocean (I have crossed many), but for 1/5 the purchase cost and less than 1/10 the running cost, you could have triple the square feet and a modern, late model build. If the itch to cross an ocean still needs scratching, the depreciation of ownership of a used house boat is much less, besides, look how much easier it would be to move aboard in a sheltered inland waterway. You have the Great Loop (if your not too beamy and have decent freeboard) and many lakes that cater to houseboats. Just maybe after a year or two of schlepping groceries from the market to your car, from the car to the marina cart, two person effort of loading onto the stern, then lugging it all to the galley and dry stores on your boat, you might think just that aspect alone is a bit much. If not and you still want bigger, ocean capable, then one of the above steps could be easier, and that would be using your deck crane to hoist up the grocery filled cart.
Bob,
A houseboat Seriously
I thought you knew me better than that...
Old 03-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #194

Quote:
Bob,
A houseboat Seriously
I thought you knew me better than that...
GG,

Have you looked at what your budget would buy? You can still have a conventional bow and good freeboard, diesels, more room, and late model so stuff works. An aluminum hull is both strong and much lighter than steel, at least take a look....... 1999 Stardust Cruisers 17 X 100 Houseboat - Boats.com
Old 03-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #195

City: Toronto & Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Island Eagle
Vessel Model: DeFever
Quote:
What do you guys think of the Florida Bay Coaster?

2000 Florida Bay Coaster 60 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
This would be an excellent choice for you. Simple, stable, tough, well-designed, and easily maintained. The example you posted appears to be in great condition.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
IslandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandEagle View Post
This would be an excellent choice for you. Simple, stable, tough, well-designed, and easily maintained. The example you posted appears to be in great condition.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
Wow Scott! I must admit, that response was a big surprise, especially coming from you....It MUST be a nice boat. You're a tough judge (I mean that in a good way )

Mikey likes it...
Old 03-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #197
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandEagle View Post

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
And you can rename it 'Ugly Stick'
Old 03-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #198

Quote:
Wow Scott! I must admit, that response was a big surprise, especially coming from you....It MUST be a nice boat. You're a tough judge (I mean that in a good way )

Mikey likes it...
Fuel tankage 800 gallons, so you have decided not to cross oceans?
Old 03-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #199
LWW
Veteran Member

City: Richmond Va
100' houseboat. Boston. I don't think so. Even stupid me wouldn't do that. But that being said it's not me looking to buy. Now that Florida Bay Coaster, I believe they're built in either Guatamalae or Elsalvador and come to the states on there own bottom. The one that sank in the upper Chesapeake in rough weather had something come loose in the engine room and putting a hole in the hull. Coastal cruiser they are and most are steel.Larry
LWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #200

Do you guys think the Florida Bay Coaster will be okay to make Carribean runs?

Also, the shallow draft 4' 6" should put me back on the ICW?