Old 03-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #141
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
You at Sea-I have read all your posts and all the replies while you and your daughter have been on your quest for a boat. First-to Nsail's question, I would be pretty sure that this boat has twins-a single 335 hp Cat 3306 would leave this boat seriously underpowered. The listing quotes a 3,000 mile range on 3,200+gallons of fuel. That clearly indicates twin 3306's.

Second-from all your posts describing your wants and needs, and the different boats you have looked at-I would be on the first plane to Lauderdale to look a this boat. I would have s surveyor meet me at the airport, and spend 2-3 days going over the boat. I know it is at the high end of what you want to spend, but it has always sounded like you guys will be cash buyers and cash talks, loud. This is, and should survey out to be, a very good boat, the seller wants to get rid of it soon. Put all that together with cash in hand, and you may find yourself with a very good deal on a boat that seems well-suited to your needs and is even on the same cost as you.

Just an aside for your daughter-you certainly could make it across the Atlantic in this boat, high bow or not.

Good luck!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #142
THD
Guru

Whoops-meant same "coast" as you.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:47 PM   #143
Veteran Member

City: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatsea View Post
Hello there!
While we're on the subject of Defever, and since I can't have my Sutton
maybe some would like to comment on this one:
1989 Defever Long Range Cruiser Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Seriously guys, all the help & knowledge has not been taken lightly.
I punched some numbers using formulas from Dave Gerr’s Propeller Handbook. I used a speed length ratio of 1.2 and a water line length of 70 feet. This is the formula where the speed length ratio of 1.34 gives the hull speed. If both engines are run at 1500 RPM and developing 100 horsepower each, the fuel consumption is 5.6 gallons per hour per engine. The speed for the boat is 10 knots and the nautical miles per gallon is 0.9

I like the boat. I say this not having seen a surveyor report and a diesel mechanic report. Does this boat have any ballast? That helps in a storm a lot.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:18 AM   #144
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds View Post
I punched some numbers using formulas from Dave Gerr’s Propeller Handbook. I used a speed length ratio of 1.2 and a water line length of 70 feet. This is the formula where the speed length ratio of 1.34 gives the hull speed. If both engines are run at 1500 RPM and developing 100 horsepower each, the fuel consumption is 5.6 gallons per hour per engine. The speed for the boat is 10 knots and the nautical miles per gallon is 0.9

I like the boat. I say this not having seen a surveyor report and a diesel mechanic report. Does this boat have any ballast? That helps in a storm a lot.
Here is a link to the engine propeller curves: http://marine.cat.com/cda/files/1013...Propulsion.pdf
Old 03-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #145
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Hello there!

Now that you sort of figure out the boat, before you buy one, you might want to go back in evaluate the dock/slip and yard availability as you went form a 50 ft to now75 ft. Make sure for a slip you have Plan A, Plan B and maybe even plan C. As marines can and do give 30 day to vacate notices, many have rules/regulations concerning children/pets, and just like boats, marains have a limited amount of resources, dock power, water, sanitation, garbage.

Live a boards to NOT have the same rights as living on the dirt. Every live aboard we know has been giving a 30 day notice for one reason or another. So we always have a back up plan! The reason is that the boat belongs to you and you can AWAYS move the boat to another locations, which many times is the case within 30 days.

Also there are pluses and minuses of owning a large boat, and fuel cost is a small % of the total cost on owning. So discussing the amount of fuel it burn is a waste of time, except if you are pushing the range of the boat. You will spend more money on diesel heating the boat than you will probable use for cruising.

Don’t get me wrong I would love to have a bigger boat, more closets/drawers/storage for cloths/shoes, but they come with their own problems and expense. Anyway, before you buy or get to far down the road made sure you understand what is required to be a live aboard.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #146
Veteran Member

Quote:
Hello there!

If you decide to look at this boat in Florida, there are several Cheoy Lee 66 LRC you could also look at one with Detroit engines and the other with Cat. The Detroits make more noise which bothers some people:

66' Cheoy Lee LRC

http://www.curtisstokes.net/pdf/broc...er-anhinga.pdf
Old 03-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #147

City: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Maybe this one?

5 State Room 70' Custom NZ Motorsailer US$ 199.000

Randall Burg Yachts

123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #148
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiziger View Post
Maybe this one?

5 State Room 70' Custom NZ Motorsailer US$ 199.000

Randall Burg Yachts

I really like this boat a lot. For instance the galley looks like a place you could prepare a meal while underway with fiddle boards on the edge of tables and what looks like the holders to keep pans on the stove. One would still want to wear a raincoat while preparing food incase a pan did come flying off the stove in bad weather to keep from getting badly burned. A pressure cooker is always nice as the lid is firmly attached. Just looking at the boat, to me it looks like a boat able to take on a gale or worse and might fit the plan A that GG has. I did not see handholds. The pictures did not show the sail plan well so I have no idea what GG would be dealing with there. The sails would give the boat stability. No need for failure prone mechanical devices to keep the boat from rocking. Those engines are adequate for moving the boat at trawler speed. The engines might need work, sails, rust, electronics upgrades? The teak needs to be replaced or removed and deck painted. Need cost estimates for what it would take, but GG would have money left over to upgrade this boat if needed. It's hard to say what this boat is worth and selling it again could be a problem. Any custom boat has this issue whereas a boat like the Cheoy Lee has a well known name and it is possible to do comparrisons on pricing.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #149
THD
Guru

For GG's location, this boat would be problematic. With a mast height of 70' and a draft of 7.5', she would be precluded from many areas on the East Coast, especially the ICW. The standard MLW fixed bridge height on the ICW is 65'. If she is planning on doing any extended East Coast cruising, she would be doing it on the outside for the most part. Plus, is addition to learning how to manage a 70' powerboat, she would also have to learn to sail!
Old 03-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
For GG's location, this boat would be problematic. With a mast height of 70' and a draft of 7.5', she would be precluded from many areas on the East Coast, especially the ICW. The standard MLW fixed bridge height on the ICW is 65'. If she is planning on doing any extended East Coast cruising, she would be doing it on the outside for the most part. Plus, is addition to learning how to manage a 70' powerboat, she would also have to learn to sail!
Never heard of these devices?
Attached Thumbnails
man-met-kettingzaag.jpg  
Old 03-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #151
Veteran Member

Quote:
Good points. This looks like a real sailboat then with sails that would be heavy and difficult to deal with. It would have been a lot better boat for her purposes if it had been rigged as a ketch with short masts and small sails, more of a motor type and less sail.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #152

Quote:
Good points. This looks like a real sailboat then with sails that would be heavy and difficult to deal with. It would have been a lot better boat for her purposes if it had been rigged as a ketch with short masts and small sails, more of a motor type and less sail.
Its not a Sailboat, its a typical Motorsailor, she will start to sail with 10 knots windspeed. But then you can shut down the engines and the real saving start. With 15 - 20 knots windspeed she will feel happy.

Without sails I will never cross an ocean.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #153
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Teak deck seems look compromised... especially in bow section.. Full survey needed throughout 43 yr old boat! Could low ball if desired and if accepted then spend much time and $$$$ on restoration??
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Teak deck seems look compromised... especially in bow section.. Full survey needed throughout 43 yr old boat! Could low ball if desired and if accepted then spend much time and $$$$ on restoration??
The designer was Allan Mummery and the vessel was built at Nelson Shipyard, New Zealand and was completed and commissioned in 1990 -1991.

On my school they teached me that 2013 - 1991 = 22 yr old.

Its in my opinion not a "leaky teaky" on most steel/alu boats of that era teak decks are bedded in SikaFlex.

But who buy's a boat without a survey?

My G#d I have no interests in this f&k#ng boat.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #155
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
How about this to fix up. It's also in Florida
85 Dutch Built Motorsailor Ketch 1985 MiamiYacht For Sale yacht for sale
Old 03-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #156
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiziger View Post
The designer was Allan Mummery and the vessel was built at Nelson Shipyard, New Zealand and was completed and commissioned in 1990 -1991.

On my school they teached me that 2013 - 1991 = 22 yr old.

Its in my opinion not a "leaky teaky" on most steel/alu boats of that era teak decks are bedded in SikaFlex.

But who buy's a boat without a survey?

My G#d I have no interests in this f&k#ng boat.
Reizi - I tranposed the 70' for the 1990 year - woops!

However, in video, deck seams do look as they may be compromised.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #157
Art
Guru

Quote:
I would not own that one on a bet! My head aches just watching the stills!
Old 03-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #158
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Yes, a Charlie Juliette indeed.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #159
Veteran Member

Quote:
The hull appears to be brought back to new condition. The strength is there. What it would cost to do a nice interior; though, is something I have no idea about. It might be that the boat even has a negative value, but what is the value of knowing what you have structurally? How good a survey can be done unless there is access to all structural parts of the boat?
Old 03-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #160

City: USA
Quote:
Yeah, I agree, and I'm just not interested in sailing and to have all that extra equipment, but never use it, would be silly. Plus, the height restrictions.....
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote