Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2022, 05:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Washington
Maybe not technically a Trawler, but thoughts? Silverton motor yacht

It's gas, not diesel, which I don't know any more, with fuel prices like they are i'm half tempted to go with another sailboat anyway, but very roomy inside, and my intent is to live on it. Another bonus, it's 15 minutes away, so no flying to new jersey or florida to go look at it.. and price range is low enough that I'm comfy with it being what it is, although for the right trawler i'd spend way more. thoughts on this boat? https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1988...yacht-8026138/
Drummer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 06:36 PM   #2
Arc
Guru

City: Long island
Vessel Model: Eastern
Forget the fuel difference. You will win every time buying a gasser . The big concern should be heating and the entry door. Getting on off the boat needs to be convenient in all weather and you will need good heat . That boat has a lot of area and windows
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 07:10 PM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. D. Exactly what Mr. A posted. Consider frozen/snow or ice covered decks and navigating those narrow side decks and ladders in February @ O-dark 30.

That being said, for the price, you can hardly go wrong BUT, get a good survey! I know you may be tempted to save the $$ a survey will cost but one leaky fuel tank or faulty through hull can really mess up your day.

Also consider the availability of a live aboard slip. They're becoming fewer and far between.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:19 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
It will consume huge amounts of gas on plane, but if you run it at trawler speeds it won’t be horrible. The access during the winters for a liveaboard would be an issue. I would get it shrink wrapped to keep snow and ice off the decks and have them put in a zippered door for access. It will also save a huge amount of heating. Have it wrapped in white and you will still get a lot of light into the boat.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 07:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Forget the fuel difference. You will win every time buying a gasser . The big concern should be heating and the entry door. Getting on off the boat needs to be convenient in all weather and you will need good heat . That boat has a lot of area and windows
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. D. Exactly what Mr. A posted. Consider frozen/snow or ice covered decks and navigating those narrow side decks and ladders in February @ O-dark 30.

That being said, for the price, you can hardly go wrong BUT, get a good survey! I know you may be tempted to save the $$ a survey will cost but one leaky fuel tank or faulty through hull can really mess up your day.

Also consider the availability of a live aboard slip. They're becoming fewer and far between.
In NC frozen decks would rarely be a problem, and yeah it gets cold here and there, but rare for it to get to freezing and stay there all day let alone for weeks at a time. The dock that it's already sitting at, 15 minutes from current home, allows liveaboards, whether officially or not, they allow it. So those aren't issues really. A survey is a must, I've bought an old sailboat before and restored it, or tried, til a storm damaged it too far gone to keep chasing that dream, so yeah I know all about being sure to buy a solid boat to start with.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Now that you mention it, the only entry does appear to be awkward as far as moving groceries, etc..aboard. climb up and out, then back down to dock..that could get annoying. I've got some feelers out for trawlers that i'd actually prefer, so yeah that's a good point. Thank you.
Old 01-08-2022, 09:09 PM   #7
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
I'd expect fuel burn to be similar to my boat with twin 454s. Figure on 1.2 - 1.3 nautical miles per gallon at 6.5 kts (about 1300 rpm for me). Maybe a little better if you're lucky Figure 0.5 - 0.6 nmpg at a good planing cruise.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 04:28 AM   #8
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
This is about as far away from a sailboat as you can get

Is the door large enough to get a new sofa or fridge in, or do windows need to be removed? I agree with others about issue is less related to gas than general livability (unless you rarely go out).

Resale will be slower - perhaps much slower even if you reduce price greatly just to get it to sell (I'm tempted to use the phrase "fire sale" but since she's a gasser.....)

Current sellers' market is highly unusual so easy to overlook that owning a boat has at least one similarity to marriage - easier to get into the deal than out.

Regardless, good luck and thanks for sharing.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 08:55 AM   #9

City: Hobe Sound
Vessel Name: Kumatage
Vessel Model: Grnd Bnks 46 cl
Looks to be in reasonable shape. Nice and roomy, boarding will be a PITA. I fell down that companionway just looking at it.
And strap down those batteries. Good luck!
Steve1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:02 AM   #10
Guru

I agree with those mentioning poor boarding access. And those narrow side decks with only partial length rails (and low ones at that) are pretty useless. There are plenty of good boats in that category (cheap, gas powered, in that size range), but I'd pass on this one just on design / layout alone.
Old 01-09-2022, 10:10 AM   #11
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Agree on the poor boarding access, and that would be a show stopper for me, for a live aboard.

The gassers would be a show stopper for me also, unless it would never leave the dock, which is not my cup of tea.

And because it's butt ugly would be another show stopper.

There's a TONS of better options out their for not much more money but a huge amount of better value. Lots of old trawlers with a diesel (or two) with much better access also. And that's what I'd shop for. And would really look hard for someone that had refurbished their old trawler and now wants out.

However, we all have different wants.

YMMV
Old 01-09-2022, 10:35 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
The gassers would be a show stopper for me also, unless it would never leave the dock, which is not my cup of tea.

The gassers will be thirsty, but in my mind, that's the only big concern with them. Other than appropriate safety precautions for a gasoline boat, of course. The old school low output 454s are about as durable as gassers get for a boat and they're pretty simple engines. So it's not hard to keep them reliable.

Diesels would be nice, but in a boat of that size range and type (planing hull motoryacht), the gas powered ones are so much cheaper to buy that I wouldn't consider it a dealbreaker.
Old 01-09-2022, 10:42 AM   #13
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Very nice Looking gas cruiser.

But I’d suspect there’d be “issues” or the price would be higher.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 11:01 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
The gassers will be thirsty, but in my mind, that's the only big concern with them. Other than appropriate safety precautions for a gasoline boat, of course. The old school low output 454s are about as durable as gassers get for a boat and they're pretty simple engines. So it's not hard to keep them reliable.

Diesels would be nice, but in a boat of that size range and type (planing hull motoryacht), the gas powered ones are so much cheaper to buy that I wouldn't consider it a dealbreaker.
Good points, but YES the 454s are a maintenance headache compared to a diesel.... no comparison. While they are not the worst engine that Merc made, all of the gassers are relatively high maintenance and short lives. Just look at the ads, rarely to you see one with much over 6 to 800 hours.. they just don't last. And, they're NOT simple. Plugs, manifolds, cooling issues, etc. And reliable to a point, but a lot of work.

I've had some 15+ gassers (IO or inboard) boats and not one was as reliable or low cost per mile compared to my diesels. Never again. Yes, deal breaker and I'd bet for most of us.

There's a reason it's so cheap.
Old 01-09-2022, 12:06 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Good points, but YES the 454s are a maintenance headache compared to a diesel.... no comparison. While they are not the worst engine that Merc made, all of the gassers are relatively high maintenance and short lives. Just look at the ads, rarely to you see one with much over 6 to 800 hours.. they just don't last. And, they're NOT simple. Plugs, manifolds, cooling issues, etc. And reliable to a point, but a lot of work.

I've had some 15+ gassers (IO or inboard) boats and not one was as reliable or low cost per mile compared to my diesels. Never again. Yes, deal breaker and I'd bet for most of us.

There's a reason it's so cheap.
That boat has crusaders, not Mercs. But realistically, my Merc 454s just work. Change the plugs every spring, risers every few years (manifolds are in the coolant loop) and they just run.

The ones dying at low hours are mostly bad owners. One of mine was replaced a few years ago after an oil line failure. The replacement now has about 300 hours on it. The other engine has about 1800. They run identically, the older one still has good compression, etc. So at 1800 hours, all signs point to plenty of life left.

I also don't understand the unreliability thing. Any decent gasser installation with good maintenance is not unreliable. I think the previously mentioned oil line failure is the last time my boat had an engine shutdown for an engine related reason. I've only had 1 shutdown since I've had the boat (about 250 running hours). And that wasn't for an engine issue, but a trans issue. No point in keeping the engine running because the trans wasn't providing any drive.
Old 01-09-2022, 12:17 PM   #16

City: Seattle
I noticed it is missing an anchor and there doesn’t appear to be a windlass. Given the size of the boat, having to drop and retrieve an anchor by hand would be a dealbreaker for me as well.

I also think it was a wise comment by mvweebles about taking into consideration of trying to sell it later. It is a unique design that isn’t desirable.

The egress as a liveaboard is the other dealbreaker, regardless of price.
BradBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 01:26 PM   #17
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Man is that boat spacious! Odd, but sure takes advantage of 37 ft.. Anyway, I can see the appeal but others are right about access. Everything, including interior space, comes at a cost.

More than the gas engines, I worry about the gas genset. It’s got to be done right with exhaust fumes, especially at anchor. I’d hate to need the Genset with a winter wrap.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:45 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
That boat has crusaders, not Mercs. But realistically, my Merc 454s just work. Change the plugs every spring, risers every few years (manifolds are in the coolant loop) and they just run.

The ones dying at low hours are mostly bad owners. One of mine was replaced a few years ago after an oil line failure. The replacement now has about 300 hours on it. The other engine has about 1800. They run identically, the older one still has good compression, etc. So at 1800 hours, all signs point to plenty of life left.

I also don't understand the unreliability thing. Any decent gasser installation with good maintenance is not unreliable. I think the previously mentioned oil line failure is the last time my boat had an engine shutdown for an engine related reason. I've only had 1 shutdown since I've had the boat (about 250 running hours). And that wasn't for an engine issue, but a trans issue. No point in keeping the engine running because the trans wasn't providing any drive.

454s are 454s... basic Chevy block, Merc or Crusaders. Sure, you can get life from an old gasser, but I wouldn't call it close to reliable. And 1800 hours, just starting in a diesel. And most gassers don't come close to that.

Disagree about the "bad owners"... it's just hard to keep old gassers running for most any owners.

You can keep them, not for the rest of us. And there's a REAL reason they are so cheap and not popular.
Old 01-14-2022, 01:01 PM   #19

City: St. Pete
Vessel Name: Becca
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44
The problem with many gassers is old bad gas. Need fresh fuel to keep them reliable.
Silvertons are well made boats.
Make sure it’s an inboard not an I/O if you’re going to be in salt water.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 01:19 PM   #20

City: Galveston Bay
Vessel Name: Pirate
Vessel Model: Kady Krogen 42 Hull #5
Gas engines

Run from gas engines. They are inefficient and can be dangerous.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote