Old 06-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #1

City: Tacoma, WA
Vessel Name: Matilda
Vessel Model: Ponderosa (CHB) 35' Sundeck
Matte Cetol?

A lot of talk about Cetol and other finishes on here. I hear a lot of good stuff about Cetol, and it is what's already on my exterior brightwork (from PO), but it's pretty worn now. All the talk seems to suggest several coats of the Marine, followed by several coats of the clear gloss. But I'm specifically looking for a non-gloss finish that still has the look and feel of stained wood rather than a lacquered coating. Can I just use the Cetol Marine on its own? I recognize it would probably need yearly touch-ups due to the lack of extra protection the gloss provides, but it should still work well, right?
schrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:52 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. s. For many years before we discovered Cetol gloss we went with straight Cetol Marine. Worked OK but eventually built up too many layers and appeared dark/unsightly. I think the finish with Cetol Marine can be best described as semi-gloss rather than matte.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:06 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Interlux makes a one part flattening agent for varnish that might work. You'd get your matte finish plus uv protection.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...+Part+Finishes
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:50 PM   #4

City: Northern Ontario
Vessel Name: Chickadee
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
If you are wanting the matte or satin look, it is always best to build up the protective layers with gloss, and then add one final coat of matte. The reason being, the matting agents tend to mask the beautiful wood grain just a little, whereas the gloss varnish magnifies that wonderful wood grain and colour.
SlowGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:13 PM   #5
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowGypsy View Post
If you are wanting the matte or satin look, it is always best to build up the protective layers with gloss, and then add one final coat of matte. The reason being, the matting agents tend to mask the beautiful wood grain just a little, whereas the gloss varnish magnifies that wonderful wood grain and colour.
Just for the record, that is not the case with Cetol.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:44 PM   #6
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
I use Cetol and found it is a wonderful product.I used it on my interior everything. I do not find it to be too glossy. My teak and holly floors look spectacular and the finish is extremely durable. Just got back from a month long trip to the Bahamas and all I had to do was wipe down the floors with a mixture of water and Murphys Oil Soap. At this rate I don't see having to use Cetol anytime soon.

I do not know how well it works on the exterior since I painted my teak with Pettit EZ Poxy. Yes, painted the exterior teak and it too looks beautiful. I did not want to be a slave to the exterior teak. 5 coats and that is also holding up extremely well. I also changed out my exterior teak stair treads to Trex. Everybody at marinas comment how nice my stairs are! LOL!
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:54 PM   #7
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I use Cetol and found it is a wonderful product.I used it on my interior everything. I do not find it to be too glossy. My teak and holly floors look spectacular and the finish is extremely durable. Just got back from a month long trip to the Bahamas and all I had to do was wipe down the floors with a mixture of water and Murphys Oil Soap. At this rate I don't see having to use Cetol anytime soon.

I do not know how well it works on the exterior since I painted my teak with Pettit EZ Poxy. Yes, painted the exterior teak and it too looks beautiful. I did not want to be a slave to the exterior teak. 5 coats and that is also holding up extremely well. I also changed out my exterior teak stair treads to Trex. Everybody at marinas comment how nice my stairs are! LOL!
I find the Cetol finish rather soft. I am surprised that it is holding up on floors. Do you allow shoes on your boat?
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:26 PM   #8
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Shoes are ABSOLUTELY ALLOWED on! The boat is to have fun! I love to entertain on her and I don't stress about anything except engine work. That always comes first.

But truly the Cetol is great. I got 1 scratch in it when they installed my new fridge, but it was easily buffed out and touched up with Cetol. I don't even know where it was!
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:10 PM   #9
S41
Veteran Member

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Model: Currently boatless
I used Pettit Sea Gold on the teak around my sundeck railing and the side doors entering into it from the side decks. I find that the satin finish is nice. I goes on much like Cetol, but is easier to clean up. It doesn't hide the wood grain at all and builds up nicely with 5 coats that can be applied over 2 days. Plus, it is water clean up. Time will tell how it hold up in the weather.
S41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:49 PM   #10
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Cetol vs varnish is almost as contentious as anch....Oh no ya don't...By the same token, most if not all anecdotal information is based on the specific AREA one keeps their boats in. A product suitable for the PNW may not last or work at all in Florida and vice-versa although in the case of wood finishes UV longevity and subsequent degradation is pretty well the determining factor and what works well in the scorching south should work well in the perpetual dampness of the PNW.