Mast too high for slip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Dream Catcher
Vessel Make
1979 Island Gypsy 44 Flush Aft Deck
Getting ready to move the boat to it's new location, a covered slip in Stockton. So to just make sure I don't have problems I check the marina for the roof height. Twenty feet.

Top of mast we estimated at 23 feet.

52124180247_88107bb5f3_o.jpg

I'm thinking the bimini will fit, but not the mast. The bimini will be easy to shorten (plenty of headroom now) but the mast not so easy.

Tabernacle?

I'll be out to the boat next week and get a good waterline measurement and also out to the marina to do the same.

Just when things were looking good...

My GB42 had a masthead height of 26 feet, and it was mounted very differently than yours with a pivot on the aft cabintop rather than the flying bridge as yours looks to be. I was able to arrange several blocks in such a pattern as to effect a lowering to 17 feet above the water. I could raise and secure that heavy, solid wood mast for sea when coming out of the covered slip in 2.5 minutes, solo. You might want to look into mounting a couple of single-sheave becket blocks on each side and as far forward and as high as possible on the flying bridge. Another pair of blocks or a single double-sheave block as high on the mast as possible with lines rove to and from the mast blocks such that you end up with a line from each becket block coming to your hands as you stand in front of the mast. You could handle both side simultaneously or get a second person to make really light work of the task.

Thanks. I'm thinking the bottom could be hinged and then lowered to a block close to the fly bridge aft and secured.

Next week, I'll go and measure close and chat with my "boat guys" in Alameda.

I would just shorten the mast so I didn’t have to deal with lowering it and raising it.

Another idea I've thought about. The radar might be a problem, but I can deal with that later. The anchor light could be on a plug in stick. I'm not going to need radar in the Delta anyway.

Keep 'em coming, the more ideas the better!

Have you measured your bimini height above water lever? Eyeballing the picture, I would guess the height at about 15 feet, and the mast top at about 18.

Have you measured your bimini height above water lever? Eyeballing the picture, I would guess the height at about 15 feet, and the mast top at about 18.

:thumb:

Have you done your measurement?
I recently measured the height of the highest point on my venturi, on my similar sized boat. 13.5' from the water to the outside corner of the venturi, which is the nearest and most likely contact point with the shelter roof. If yours is similar in height off the water, you masthead doesn't look to be more than 6' higher, so you should have no problem.

I'm going to measure with a tape this week.

I know for sure that the bimini is at least 6'-6" off the fly bridge deck because I'm 6-2 and no problem. The top of the mast (anchor light) is well over 8 feet as I can't touch it with arms over my head and I can touch an 8 foot ceiling.

I'm going to measure with a tape this week.

I know for sure that the bimini is at least 6'-6" off the fly bridge deck because I'm 6-2 and no problem. The top of the mast (anchor light) is well over 8 feet as I can't touch it with arms over my head and I can touch an 8 foot ceiling.

Those estimates are consistent with a total height of less than 20'

You are correct. I measured today and I'm 19 feet 10 inches from top of anchor light to waterline.

The berth entrance is 19 feet six inches.

So I have my crew cutting the mast to minimum (not disturbing the radar) and I'll do the anchor light on a stick with a plug socket for easy in/out.

You are correct. I measured today and I'm 19 feet 10 inches from top of anchor light to waterline.

The berth entrance is 19 feet six inches.

So I have my crew cutting the mast to minimum (not disturbing the radar) and I'll do the anchor light on a stick with a plug socket for easy in/out.

Is there a tide variance?

No, floating docks.

The roof is attached to the floating dock. It all stays the same. The roof slopes down (as roofs should) to shed the rain and the low point is the entrance. Which is a 2x6" steel beam, not something you want to hit. That would just shear the mast off the boat.

But once you clear that all is well the space gets larger.

https://www.tikilagoon.com/

Last edited:
Check the regs re your anchor light requirements. I am going to take a wild guess and say that those little pole lights don’t meet them. This is a copy …

“ Vessels at Anchor
When anchored at night outside a designated anchorage, an all-round light visible for at least 2nm is required.
During the day, when anchored outside a designated anchorage, a black anchor ball must be displayed.
Minimum Visibility Range

Boats less than 20m (65.7'), a masthead light must be visible for 3nm. All other lights must be visible for 2nm.

Thanks, I'll do that. Might just use a folder or make one from an approved lamp. With all the high power LED cobb lights available, shouldn't be too hard.

I'm happy that I'll not have to disturb the radar. Shouldn't be too hard a job. Mast is wood, easy to cut but the power for the anchor light runs inside it. So remove the anchor light cut off the mast above the radar and cap off the top. I can even make a folder using the existing light.

Just happy I found this little problem before the 10 hour boat ride to it's new home.

Just eyeballing if the radar is OK and only the mast light you might consider 2 options.
If radar mount could be lowered (there looks to be room above Bimini that would allow lowering) then the mast light might be lowered to an acceptable fixed height. More work but once and done.
I have seen others use a good SS VHF antenna mount to mount a mast light on.
The problem is ease of access if near the Bimini ht. Same idea could be used on a new completely separate mast head light with longer tube and hinge mounted at more convenient ht.

I've got a Signal Mate combo steaming / anchor light on my boat. It's 3nm visibility and 3 wire (so it can be operated as a 225* masthead or a 360* anchor light). Model is "3NMMHANC". More importantly, they sell an adapter to mount it to a pole, so you could easily make it foldable or removable.

I have seen others use a good SS VHF antenna mount to mount a mast light on.
The problem is ease of access if near the Bimini ht. Same idea could be used on a new completely separate mast head light with longer tube and hinge mounted at more convenient ht.

I like the VHF mount idea. Plenty sturdy and easy to deploy and lay down.

Thanks!

Glad to hear your preserving the radar. Although I no longer depart the slip in heavy fog, I have found myself plying the foggy waters unexpectedly in my transit around the Bay and Delta. Having the radar, radio, autopilot and foghorn at the ready is helpful.

Faced with a similar dilemma, I shortened my anchor light slightly and placed it on a pivoting mount so that if it hits anything, it just folds down.

I hear good things about the new owners at Tiki Lagun! Hope you enjoy your new boat home. Maybe we'll cross wakes sometime this summer when out anchoring in or near Mildred Island.

PS...Your boat will love the fresh waters of the California Delta!!

I've got a Signal Mate combo steaming / anchor light on my boat. It's 3nm visibility and 3 wire (so it can be operated as a 225* masthead or a 360* anchor light). Model is "3NMMHANC". More importantly, they sell an adapter to mount it to a pole, so you could easily make it foldable or removable.

I looked that up and it looks good. I think I only have an anchor light and not the steamer, so that would be a good option, low current LED too!

The highest point of your boat is the windshield of the upper helm so you can just hinge the mast at the same height. This way you only have lift up some 2.5 to 3 feet of the mast to setup.
It shouldn’t be that complicated to implement!
Good luck,

We decided on a plan;

Move halyard and spreader stays down
Remove anchor and steaming lights
Cut mast level with top of radar and cap off

I bought the signal mate combo light and the 1 inch tube mount. Going to install a rail socket on the "step" (little flat part) of the mast and a clip further up. Removing the steaming light allows space for the light to run through the radar bracket. Then all that's needed to deploy is run the post through the bracket, press into the clip and secure to the socket and plug in the harness. Should take less than a minute and no ladders or mast steps needed.

Can you find something to cover the socket when the light is out of the socket. Maybe keep spiders and bugs from nesting inside the socket and creating a bad connection.

Glad to hear of the plan and DO hope you will post a couple of photos to "splain" it all to us.

Can you find something to cover the socket when the light is out of the socket. Maybe keep spiders and bugs from nesting inside the socket and creating a bad connection.

The socket is just a plain Jane SS rail (deck railing) socket, no electrical. I'll install a 3 pin connector on a pigtail out the side through a grommet to plug in the power.

This pic is good to show the plan.

52152039975_24278d9f1e_c.jpg

You can see the "step" in the mast and the steaming light above. With the light removed it will be easy to pass the combo light on the 1 inch dia SS tube through the radar bracket and drop into the socket screwed to the step.

Back
Top Bottom