Old 08-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #1

City: Spring Lake
Mast paint

Since taking down the mast on my IG, I sanded it since the paint was chalking real badly. Sanded and used a Rustolium primer. Something tells me that I should have used an AwlGrip primer and paint. Can somebody clear that up that has some experience with AwlGrip paint. I like the paint to be tough and UV resistant so that I don't have to do this again anytime soon.
sunvale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
LWW
Veteran Member

City: Richmond Va
I've used Rustoleum primer under Petit Easypoxy with great success but not under Awlgrip. Larry
LWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:19 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunvale View Post
Since taking down the mast on my IG, I sanded it since the paint was chalking real badly. Sanded and used a Rustolium primer. Something tells me that I should have used an AwlGrip primer and paint. Can somebody clear that up that has some experience with AwlGrip paint. I like the paint to be tough and UV resistant so that I don't have to do this again anytime soon.
I don't know what's right but here's what we're doing. Everything will be sanded, mast, boom and paravane poles, down to bare surface metal then we'll clean with Alumiprep 33, then 3 coats of Aiodine 1201, then 3 coats of 545 Awlgrip Corrosive Epoxy Primer, then prep and paint with 3 coats of Awlgrip paint.

The Alumiprep 33 is a phosphoric acid cleaner.

DGR Industrial Products, Inc. :: Specialty Coatings :: Conversion Coatings :: Alodine Chromate Conversion For Aluminum Alloys :: Alumiprep 33 Aluminum Cleaner

The Alumiprep 33 is a chromate.

Alodine® 1201

It might be over kill but after taking everything down and stripping off every pieces of hardware. Hopefully, this will be the the last time we ever do it.

We,ve hired a local to do the sanding and painting. Here's a picture of the start.
Attached Thumbnails
016.jpg  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #4

mast paint

Would be nice if mine was made of aluminum but it's fiberglass with a wood core and heavy as hell. I sanded it down to the glass, but have the feeling I should have left the Rustolium primer off
Old 08-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #5
TF Site Team

[QUOTE=sunvale;99521]Would be nice if mine was made of aluminum but it's fiberglass with a wood core and heavy as hell. I sanded it down to the glass, but have the feeling I should have left the Rustolium primer off[/QUOTE

The Alwgrip 545 primer is also recommended for fiberglass.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:34 AM   #6

looks like the Rustolium primer is coming off.
Thanks all
Old 08-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

For the roof, I used Rustolium marine gloss white that has held up very well, even with the foot traffic and 10 months of rain. Might want to look at their marine paint?
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #8

I will do that. Awlgrip sounds great but I find it a mumble jumble trying to figure out the steps to take for a good application. I called the tech line and still have not heard from them. The stuff is just to costly not to know what the right way is in applying the paint etc.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
I will do that. Awlgrip sounds great but I find it a mumble jumble trying to figure out the steps to take for a good application. I called the tech line and still have not heard from them. The stuff is just to costly not to know what the right way is in applying the paint etc.
You can buy a Lowes.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
TF Site Team

Quote:
There are other 2 part polyurethanes that are just as good and some will say even better than Algrip. Hatteras Yachts, who has been using Algrip since the 70's, switched to Axlseal. Axlseal is supposably better and easier to repair. We are using Algrip because it is what is available here and Algrip is what our painter Nigel uses.

Regardless of what you use, a two part polyurethane is going to more durable thus longer longer lasting than a one part.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #11

I just finished the boom with Rustolium and will do the mast with one of the 2 part Urethane's and see what they look like. I had the boom primed with Rustolium and did not like the idea of having to sand that all of again.
I'll report back.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #12
Guru

Maybe this might help a bit. Voyages of Sea Trek: Refurbishing The Spars . Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:31 AM   #13
FF
Guru

With any paint on aluminum the hassles come with blisters , and the mast then dissolving under the paint.

If you can stand the look stripping and cleaning down to bare will have the mast live longest.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:16 AM   #14

I'm in the Great lakes area. Fresh water an minimal corrosion on metal surfaces. Plus the mast is made of fiberglass and so I don't have the corrosive concern there either.
Just finished the boom with Rustolium and the finish is so so. Since I used a roller and allowed the paint to float, it did not get the coverage that I would have liked.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
With any paint on aluminum the hassles come with blisters , and the mast then dissolving under the paint.

If you can stand the look stripping and cleaning down to bare will have the mast live longest.
Ummm, the poster says it's fiberglass. Leaving exposed aluminum on a mast if the boat is going anywhere near salt water is a very bad idea. That's why mast manufacturers anodize them. Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #16
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Chuck View Post
Ummm, the poster says it's fiberglass. Leaving exposed aluminum on a mast if the boat is going anywhere near salt water is a very bad idea. That's why mast manufacturers anodize them. Chuck
Anodizing them just keeps the looking purdy...I'm pretty sure aluminum ...almost all of the alloys are self-protecting...a mast should only get a dousing of salt infrequently enough that the salt crystals can be washed off before real harm is done.

Not to say it will have a pretty chalkiy appearance like a cheap screen door...but it shouldn't be compromised by being left unfinished...not as a mast at least.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #17
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
I would think it would be best to use the primer for what ever paint you intend to use.
i.e. Rustolieum primer for Rustolieum paint.

The company's research this to find the best bond to bond.

Primer isn't just all purpose.

Sd
Old 08-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #18
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperdude View Post
I would think it would be best to use the primer for what ever paint you intend to use.
i.e. Rustolieum primer for Rustolieum paint.

The company's research this to find the best bond to bond.

Primer isn't just all purpose.

Sd
I agree. Use products from a single manufacturer and products intended to be used together by that manufacturer. And follow the manufacturer's instructions for preparation and application.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #19

just stripped the Rustolium of the parts and got hold of some 2 part epoxy marine paint that I will spray on after a few coats of primer from the same company. I must have been drunk to do it the other way.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #20

Went to West Marine and purchased upon recommendation some paint and primer for the mast. After reading the cans label I returned the stuff cause it was not intended to be used on a Mast, (bright work).
Received some new stuff and coated the mast and boom with a coat of primer.
20 hours later the stuff will still stick to my fingers. According to the label it should be dry after 15 hours.
Something tells me that if a person wants some advise on boat paint, don't ask any self designated experts in the field.
Last time I shop at West Marine....

Tags
mast, paint