Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-27-2018, 01:28 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
SeaMoose's Avatar
 
City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 286
Everyone is giving you very good advice. Here's more:

Bolt bottom of mast to tabernackle with mast laid down towards the back end of the boat. Don't tighten the bolt just stick it through the hole and hand spin the nut/washer on.

Have one person at the base of the mast, one on the back of the boat.

Find the longest wire (rigging) which will be at the front (top) of the mast.

One person stands on the flybridge and pulls on the wire, the other person ensures the mast doesn't try to go side to side, e.g. goes straight up so as not to put too much stress on the tabernackle fitting at the bottom.

That wire will attach to the flybridge cowling at the center of the boat.

The other four wires - you'll figure out where those go really quick, as they will reach to where they go and no where else.

I prefer to leave the boom off, as I don't use the steadying sail, and it's something to bang your head on when moving around the boat. When you find the steadying sail, probably stashed in some locker, thread it on the mast (this will be obvious looking at the mast and the sail, trust me...). The boom goes at the bottom of the sail, the end of the sail attached to the end of the boom. At the end of the boom will be a pulley that you'll have to route a line (rope) through, it probably cleats off back there somewhere.

HTH! You're in Sandusky, I'm at Anchor Pointe in Curtice, call me if needed 734 six four five 4980
__________________
Advertisement

SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:03 PM   #42
Veteran Member
 
City: West River
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Shannon Downeast 36
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCycle View Post
Hello. We are new 1st time Trawler owners ,and cant figure out the mast system for our 36' 1985 Ka Shing.
The boat has sat shrinkwrapped for years, with mast system disconnected. We're not even sure we have all the parts.
We've got 2 long posts, one is a boom, and the mast holds wires for radios, etc.
We also have another random bracket (found in a cubby), and a small floor mount.
We did buy some Stainless Steel Nuts & Bolts that fit the floor fixture.
There's no marks on the Mast where it would have connected to boom before.

We've searched You Tube for help, to no avail. And, there's no similar boats around.
At this point, Most of the family is in favor of not re-hanging,and just going without, buying a handheld radio, installing a separate anchor light and calling it a day.
But ,we'd like to figure this mess all out and get it re-installed.
I'll post some pics below of the parts we've got.
If anyone can provide direction how to connect these or if we're missing parts, we'd appreciate it. thanks in advance!
I would definitely keep the mast and boom for all kinds of reasons. We had a similar issue with our boat. In spite of being very familiar with sailboat rigging, I had a difficult time trying to figure out how to to rig the mast, boom, topping lift, mainsheet, etc. Parts were missing and even after I figured it out, I saw major deficiencies in the original set up. I called a rigger and a fabricator for assistance. Well worth it. Added split fore stays, redesigned the mainsheet and had another stanchion fabricated for support. The rig is up and stronger than original. Not only is the mast a great antenna platform (radar, TV, Wi-Fi, AIS), it is also a great traditional look for the boat.
__________________

Avalon36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:58 PM   #43
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 12,105
We have a mast 33 feet above waterline. It's a great excuse to make bridge tenders do their job, as well as giving greater radar and radio range. There is a tabernacle, but a crane is needed to lower/raise the mast due to its heavy construction.
Attached Thumbnails
CootintheDelta_zps438271b0.jpg  
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:33 PM   #44
Veteran Member
 
City: Potomac Maryland
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCycle View Post
Hello. We are new 1st time Trawler owners ,and cant figure out the mast system for our 36' 1985 Ka Shing.
The boat has sat shrinkwrapped for years, with mast system disconnected. We're not even sure we have all the parts.
We've got 2 long posts, one is a boom, and the mast holds wires for radios, etc.
We also have another random bracket (found in a cubby), and a small floor mount.
We did buy some Stainless Steel Nuts & Bolts that fit the floor fixture.
There's no marks on the Mast where it would have connected to boom before.

We've searched You Tube for help, to no avail. And, there's no similar boats around.
At this point, Most of the family is in favor of not re-hanging,and just going without, buying a handheld radio, installing a separate anchor light and calling it a day.
But ,we'd like to figure this mess all out and get it re-installed.
I'll post some pics below of the parts we've got.
If anyone can provide direction how to connect these or if we're missing parts, we'd appreciate it. thanks in advance!
The covered connector should be four-pole connector for the spar light and the anchor light.


First thing I did in my trawler is to cut the mast in half and get rid of the guy wires holding it in place. Now I have a mast that can be brought down by a single person and do all the maintenance the spar and anchor lights may need plus the radar dome and the VHF antenna. In addition, the removed wires no longer interfere with the Bimini top covering the fly bridge.


Best change I made as the sail was never used at all in 30 years.
__________________
Rodolfo
SeaTrek
Marine Trader 40
rolomart3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:25 PM   #45
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 22,728
Assuming the boom will never be used ......a self supporting mast is a good idea.

But I use the mast and boom to lift all kinds of heavy objects aboard so it's original configuration is quite handy...then again I would rather have a nice dingy crane and a folding radar arch....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:12 AM   #46
Member
 
City: Sandusky, OH
Vessel Name: Shalimar
Vessel Model: Ka Shing 36 Sundeck
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMoose View Post
Everyone is giving you very good advice. Here's more:

Bolt bottom of mast to tabernackle with mast laid down towards the back end of the boat. Don't tighten the bolt just stick it through the hole and hand spin the nut/washer on.

Have one person at the base of the mast, one on the back of the boat.

Find the longest wire (rigging) which will be at the front (top) of the mast.

One person stands on the flybridge and pulls on the wire, the other person ensures the mast doesn't try to go side to side, e.g. goes straight up so as not to put too much stress on the tabernackle fitting at the bottom.

That wire will attach to the flybridge cowling at the center of the boat.

The other four wires - you'll figure out where those go really quick, as they will reach to where they go and no where else.

I prefer to leave the boom off, as I don't use the steadying sail, and it's something to bang your head on when moving around the boat. When you find the steadying sail, probably stashed in some locker, thread it on the mast (this will be obvious looking at the mast and the sail, trust me...). The boom goes at the bottom of the sail, the end of the sail attached to the end of the boom. At the end of the boom will be a pulley that you'll have to route a line (rope) through, it probably cleats off back there somewhere.

HTH! You're in Sandusky, I'm at Anchor Pointe in Curtice, call me if needed 734 six four five 4980
Hi neighbor! Great description, easy to follow. We are out your way all the time. We Had a sailboat pro from local marina that was going to help- but hasn't showed up, much like the mechanic to help w/ engine overheating ...
We Haven't been able to find parts local, so the mast/ boom are still laying at dock, and The boat sits dockside.

We're anxious to visit the Islands and start doing some fishing .
Not many of these boats our way here in Western basin- Have only seen 5 or 6 between Vermilion and PC. Thanks for the contact info- and maybe will see you out there, someday!
LCycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:40 AM   #47
Senior Member
 
SeaMoose's Avatar
 
City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 286
Hi Neighbor!
I'm at the Marina most every weekend, my slips are I-35 and I-36. Right now I have the Trawler in the barn, recoring the cabin top and doing some other repairs.

There's a Marine Trader sitting on the hard and Meinke's West, not sure what the story is on that one. And of course the old KK42 for sale in Erie. And me :-) My trawler always draws lots of attention at Middle Bass, or PIB and I am sure you'll have the same experience.

We fish off my other boat, a Bayliner 2750 Cierra a.k.a. the "Beater Boat"

I've been repairing boats as a hobby for 30 years, so if there's anything you need help with don't hesitate to ask. Or stop by to borrow a cup of resin LOL.
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:44 AM   #48
Senior Member
 
TomandJeri's Avatar
 
City: Lake Ontario
Vessel Model: Trawler Shopping 35-40'
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMoose View Post
And of course the old KK42 for sale in Erie.
Is that still for sale? RCR listed it, but it's not on their site any more. I was mildly interested, but for what it was listed for, I would guess it needs a lot. Plus, there's too much bright work and teak decking and such, and I'm not getting any younger or richer. My FIL had one for 26 years (bought new), and let it go for the same reason.


OP: I'm beginning to think that mast and boom didn't come off your boat. That, or there's a lower half to the mast that's missing.
TomandJeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:22 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
SeaMoose's Avatar
 
City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 286
Just looked, it's off YW too. I talked to the broker when it was first listed, he said it was an older couple who had trouble docking it and as a result rarely took it out.

I was thinking if one could pick it up for around $60K and put $100K in they would have a boat worth about $100 :-)
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:20 AM   #50
Newbie
 
City: East China, MI
Vessel Name: MARCY
Vessel Model: Kha Shing 36
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2
I have a sister ship

I have a sister ship, number 127, rigged with the identical Mast. Mine has had the aft side of the Combing cut away to allow the Mast to be lowered easily. I am away at the moment but will send pictures when I return. I have used a steading Sail, it is nice to have in a Beam sea like Saginaw Bay. I have a 10 foot RIB that we hoist on Weaver Davits. The Rigging is straight forward. Ours has a Ring on the forward side of the Mast and a fitting on the aft Bimini rail that let's me stand up the Mast and use a Pin to keep it standing while I put the 4 Stays in place. You should have 4 Tangs sticking up from your Combing to receive the Turnbuckles. No Forstay is needed.

MARCY
mark ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:59 PM   #51
Member
 
City: Sandusky, OH
Vessel Name: Shalimar
Vessel Model: Ka Shing 36 Sundeck
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 19
I've been repairing boats as a hobby for 30 years, so if there's anything you need help with don't hesitate to ask. Or stop by to borrow a cup of resin LOL.[/QUOTE]

You may be sorry you offered..when we actually show up! Thanks a ton- we are pretty excited to be part of this world.
LCycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:04 PM   #52
Member
 
City: Sandusky, OH
Vessel Name: Shalimar
Vessel Model: Ka Shing 36 Sundeck
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark ketcham View Post
I have a sister ship, number 127, rigged with the identical Mast. Mine has had the aft side of the Combing cut away to allow the Mast to be lowered easily. I am away at the moment but will send pictures when I return. I have used a steading Sail, it is nice to have in a Beam sea like Saginaw Bay. I have a 10 foot RIB that we hoist on Weaver Davits. The Rigging is straight forward. Ours has a Ring on the forward side of the Mast and a fitting on the aft Bimini rail that let's me stand up the Mast and use a Pin to keep it standing while I put the 4 Stays in place. You should have 4 Tangs sticking up from your Combing to receive the Turnbuckles. No Forstay is needed.

MARCY
Would love to see pics when you have a chance! ! Thinking once itís upright, the rest falls into place as others have given great descriptions.thanks for the help.
LCycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:18 PM   #53
Newbie
 
City: East China, MI
Vessel Name: MARCY
Vessel Model: Kha Shing 36
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2
Sorry this took so long! Find attached pictures of our Kha Shing 36 Mast. The cut-out aft of the Mast is to let us drop the Mast into a simple Cradle made of crossed 2 X 6 with a cross brace on the bottom that holds the Mast about level when down. Don't know if all the photos attached, there are 11.

Mark
ketchdesign@gmail.com
__________________

mark ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×