Old 07-20-2018, 05:26 PM   #21

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: Shin Shing, Eagle 35'
I think you should give up and just give it to me....

Jbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:38 PM   #22

City: Sandusky, OH
Vessel Name: Shalimar
Vessel Model: Ka Shing 36 Sundeck
After reading these comments, I definitely think we need some locals to assist now, as Dhays suggests. Maybe a sailboater , since trawlers are few and far between in our neck of the woods
And Jbear - you'll be 1st on the list, should we just ditch the whole thing

LCycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:00 PM   #23
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Just a consideration. Our boat, which we just sold, the boat came with the same setup you have only complete. We chose to cut the mast down and use only the mast for antennas, anchor light, radar detector etc. The reason being was we were covering the cockpit so we couldn't hoist anything aboard with it, we had little use for a steadying sail on the Great Lakes, and thirdly it was too tall for the fixed bridges on the Trent and Erie canal systems and we didn't want to bother putting it up and down. Just a thought.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:38 AM   #24

City: Kingsville, MD
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: Pacemaker 1990 37' Convertible
Wish mine still had its mast. PO removed it.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:52 AM   #25
Guru

City: Fairport, NY and Palm Coast, FL
If u donít give lightning a good mast to hit, consider the effect of hitting the next items down.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:21 AM   #26

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Agnus Dei
Vessel Model: 36' Shin Shing
I just had a mast and boom custome made, because the PO lost it overboard. Search the internet for pictures... study them, you'll see it in no time.

Dave
Old 07-21-2018, 10:41 AM   #27
Guru

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
Dave. There was a mast with cables found in the vicinity of Birch Bay a few years ago. Was at our marina laying around for a while, Might be yard art now!
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:23 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBomba View Post
Just a consideration. Our boat, which we just sold, the boat came with the same setup you have only complete. We chose to cut the mast down and use only the mast for antennas, anchor light, radar detector etc. The reason being was we were covering the cockpit so we couldn't hoist anything aboard with it, we had little use for a steadying sail on the Great Lakes, and thirdly it was too tall for the fixed bridges on the Trent and Erie canal systems and we didn't want to bother putting it up and down. Just a thought.
Good point on the bridges. A few here are draw but not all. If we ever get this up, I can't see it coming down.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:52 AM   #29
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I lower/raise mine pretty regularly back and forth to Florida on days where the bridges will impact travel for more than an hour or so.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:47 AM   #30
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
Looking at post #15, you’re looking at the wrong end of the gear... here’s the fitting...hmm, didn’t want to attach thepic.look on the lower right of the photo in post 15
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:25 AM   #31
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Mast/Boom Reinstall? Or just Give Up?

Do you have any past photos from the PO of your vessel with everything installed? Otherwise, Iíd suggest getting some professional assistance on this matter. The forces on the mast and boom can be large and mistakes can be costly. Second, before proceeding, take all stainless cables to a cable outfit and get them to make up cables with new thimbles, etc as stainless cabling looks fin up until it fails. It isnít necessary to go to the expense to get swage fittings. New cables could be made up for size for less than $200.
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:23 AM   #32
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. AR. I think the bit you're referring to in post #30 is the outboard end of the boom. There's appears to be a shackle for a line or clip attachment or maybe not...
Old 07-22-2018, 11:09 AM   #33
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
If you are able to put it back up, make sure you can fairly easily take it down. You wonít be able to do the TSW if it is up and the TSW is awesome. Are there running lights or other equipment mounted on the mast? If so that can be something to consider in remounting it or not. To me, the ability to do the TSW would be a huge factor.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:32 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
If you are able to put it back up, make sure you can fairly easily take it down. You wonít be able to do the TSW if it is up and the TSW is awesome. Are there running lights or other equipment mounted on the mast? If so that can be something to consider in remounting it or not. To me, the ability to do the TSW would be a huge factor.
There are running lights and maybe radio wires inside. Agreed on the TSW, author that'd be a long way away. I could post more pics, but everyone's probably over it. Lol
Old 07-22-2018, 04:13 PM   #35
Guru

I have a radar arch so that is where my lighting, etc is located. Since we live on the great lakes, I would either change to a different system or modify the mast so it can be lowered easily so you can do the canals. Just something to think about while you are planning your work on the boat.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:37 PM   #36

City: Brunswick, georgia
Vessel Name: M/V Marcail
Vessel Model: Marine Trading 44
Send a message via AIM to marcail
Donít give up. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0269.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	78921

Flat end of mast fits in a tabernacle. This allows the mast to be lowered, So it is a hinged piece. The standing rigging goes through the yardarms at the top of the mast. They attach to the main cabin, There should be turnbuckles to adjust the tension on the the shrouds ( standing rigging on sides). The collar fits on top of the mast and it the attaching point for the shrouds and four stay, Which is the wire to attach toward the front of the boat. Mine attached to a frame (reinforced) on my Bimini.

The aft facing attachment point is for the boom lifting rigging. You should have two sets of block and tackle. One for lifting the boom the other for lifting the object to lift. Mine is primarily used for lifting my outboard motor. But I have lifted swimmers in distress and coolers of beer. Both emergency activities.

I have attached I hope a picture showing my rig. Good luck.
marcail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:06 AM   #37

City: Lake Ontario
Vessel Model: Trawler Shopping 35-40'
Here's a sketch based on the pictures you posted, with annotations color-coded to the markups on the photos below.

The boom appears to have a toggle, which is expected as it has to swing side-to-side as well as up-down. There should be a fitting on the mast to accept this toggle. The boom suspension appears to originate where the yards mount, and there will be a lug or clevis on the end of the boom to accept the bottom block. On the bottom of the boom will be another lug or clevis for the upper load block.

The shrouds are presently terminated at the top of the mast, and there will be chainplates or deck lugs for the lower terminations. The will mount aft of the boom tabernacle, as they counter the forestay (for fore-aft stability) as well as each other (for side-to-side stability). The forestay is not visible, but there will be an attachment point on the front of the mast, in the area of the shroud terminations.

It looks like the anchor light and masthead light are both there. The masthead light will attach to the front of the mast, which is facing down in your pics, high enough to clear obstructions and not cast annoying light into the fly bridge area.

I have no idea what the bottom of the mast looks like, though, as it should either socket to the deck, or pin to that clevis.

The yard arms are only there to hold antennas, possible spreader lights to light the deck like sailboats often have (not present, though), and even flag halyards, but they're not actually spreaders as the shrouds terminate at the mast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotate 1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	78943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotate 2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	78944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trawler Mast Arrangement 1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	78945  
TomandJeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:04 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandJeri View Post
Here's a sketch based on the pictures you posted, with annotations color-coded to the markups on the photos below.

The boom appears to have a toggle, which is expected as it has to swing side-to-side as well as up-down. There should be a fitting on the mast to accept this toggle. The boom suspension appears to originate where the yards mount, and there will be a lug or clevis on the end of the boom to accept the bottom block. On the bottom of the boom will be another lug or clevis for the upper load block.

The shrouds are presently terminated at the top of the mast, and there will be chainplates or deck lugs for the lower terminations. The will mount aft of the boom tabernacle, as they counter the forestay (for fore-aft stability) as well as each other (for side-to-side stability). The forestay is not visible, but there will be an attachment point on the front of the mast, in the area of the shroud terminations.

It looks like the anchor light and masthead light are both there. The masthead light will attach to the front of the mast, which is facing down in your pics, high enough to clear obstructions and not cast annoying light into the fly bridge area.

I have no idea what the bottom of the mast looks like, though, as it should either socket to the deck, or pin to that clevis.

The yard arms are only there to hold antennas, possible spreader lights to light the deck like sailboats often have (not present, though), and even flag halyards, but they're not actually spreaders as the shrouds terminate at the mast.
WOW,just wow. the time you put in to labeling the pics is much appreciated! The detail is amazing! Learning the vocabulary will help get that elusive extra peice, as The end of mast is just plain, similar to pic below. there's not really hardly marks on mast either at bottom. the only other solid peice we've got is the clamp (pic posted earlier). Forum input seems to suggest bottom needs some sort of "pivot thing or tabernacle" at the bottom. And i agree with Comodave, must be easy to manipulate here in Great Lakes.
I love the sound of a radar arch, but that seems like a luxury at this point. The frugalness in me says use what you've got, add the arch to the list for later.
Lots to digest..thanks again!
Old 07-23-2018, 08:41 PM   #39
Guru

Good luck with the mast. If you do get to a point where you go to a radar arch, look at Atlantic Towers. I put one on a previous boat and it was really nice and relatively inexpensive. No affiliation.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:15 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Good luck with the mast. If you do get to a point where you go to a radar arch, look at Atlantic Towers. I put one on a previous boat and it was really nice and relatively inexpensive. No affiliation.
Works for me, got it, wiil add to files. thanks.