Marinehowto / CMS store closed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Pacific Myst
Vessel Make
West Bay 4500
Closed due to a medical issue.
May be long term closure.

Website says; "We'll be back soon!"................I sure hope so......:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Attachments

• CMS.jpg
    CMS.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 33
I really hope that Rod has a full, complete recovery. He has given much to many fellow boaters, freely offering good info and advice over many years. One can only hope that good "karma" comes his way!!
All the best Rod!

Yes, he's a great guy. Was just getting ready to place another order for a few alternators and regulators.

Excellent info and great products.

Alas, in my area I have but 2 choices.... West Marine and BOW (boat owner's warehouse)
Recently, I have noticed at 2 West a note on the "screw" bins, "Do not inventory" and the available supply is dwindling. I went to BOW and bought a box of the desired screws for the price of a dozen at West. Also, I have noticed at West, various parts seem to be in short supply.
Every thing cannot be blamed on Covid.
Two weeks ago my usual food bill increased $50. This past Sunday, my usual food bill has gone up another $50. No beer, no wine, no booze. The price of cigars has been creeping up too.

Sad to hear. I was also going to order again from him and noticed the site was down. Not always the cheapest, but like to throw some money his way for all the help he gives. Which is WAY MORE valuable than saving a couple bucks by buying elsewhere...
Hope he's ok and recovers from whatever it is!!!

Alas, in my area I have but 2 choices.... West Marine and BOW (boat owner's warehouse)
Recently, I have noticed at 2 West a note on the "screw" bins, "Do not inventory" and the available supply is dwindling. I went to BOW and bought a box of the desired screws for the price of a dozen at West. Also, I have noticed at West, various parts seem to be in short supply.
Two weeks ago my usual food bill increased $50. This past Sunday, my usual food bill has gone up another $50. No beer, no wine, no booze. The price of cigars has been creeping up too.

1. Stupid high fuel costs. 2. Inflation.

We all know the reason.

I first noticed this quite a while back. I don't know any of the specifics other than some medical issue. I really hope he is well. As others have said, he has been a very helpful resources to boater for a number or years. Very generous with his knowledge and experience. I like buying things from him partly as a way to help pay back in some small way the help he has been for so long.

New Ownership... Willing to bet you will have a better selection of sandals and sheets and such in near future.

I guess someone could buy it and the inventory or, run it till a decision is made?
Rod maybe could sit in a comfy chair, talk on the phone giving advice.
Gotta reemploy his staff too.

Last edited:
I first noticed this quite a while back. I don't know any of the specifics other than some medical issue. I really hope he is well. As others have said, he has been a very helpful resources to boater for a number or years. Very generous with his knowledge and experience. I like buying things from him partly as a way to help pay back in some small way the help he has been for so long.

10000% same reason I was buying from him as well! :)

I guess someone could buy it and the inventory or, run it till a decision is made?
Rod maybe could sit in a comfy chair, talk on the phone giving advice.
Gotta reemploy his staff too.

I heard on the rumor mill that Rod had suffered a hemorrhagic stroke last week. Word is that he is now out of ICU and will be undergoing rehab. Don't know how accurate this is.

Either way, our prayers are with him and his family. He has always been a tremendous help to me.

I'm another who has benefitted over the years from Rodd Collins's (aka Maine Sail) great threads and tutorials. I also purchased from his store as a way to both get good products and say thank you.

Phil Herring (who is a good/real guy and runs Sailboat Owners) is one who confirmed about the stroke and suggested that if people want to, they can donate to Rodd's site as a show of support (and to hopefully keep the site up and running which of course is not free).

Here is the link if anyone does want to contribute:

https://marinehowto.com/support/

Note that this is simply the donation button that has always been on the site for anyone who read the tutorials and wanted to donate. Not a special fund or anything.

Here is the thread I mentioned above if anyone wants to confirm:

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/threads/maine-sail-update.1249931174/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom