Old 11-05-2014, 09:36 AM   #1

City: Hendersonville
Smile Marine Trader vs Albin 36

If you had a choice, which vessel would you choose and why? Will be used mainly on the Great Lakes. The Marine Trader Europa or the Albin 36 aft Cabin.

Les
Captcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Depending on the vintage it was quite common for Albins and Marine Traders to be made in the same Taiwanese yard as I learned on my visit there. I have owned a 1979 Albin Aft Cabin and it was virtually identical to a Marine Trader of the same era. Both are very prone to water leaking through the teak decks staining the interior paneling. Other than that I was happy with the boat.

The choice between a sedan and an aft cabin is a matter of taste. Again I have had both and despite the cramped sleeping arrangements and wave slapping noise on the bow I prefer the sedan because of the back porch...cockpit...for relaxing. On an aft cabin boat without a hard top over it, it is difficult to find a place to sit and read a book or whatever.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. CC. If I missed you, welcome aboard. MT's and Albins could be exactly the same vessel. I know of a 1974 MT with an Albin hull. Earlier Taiwanese boats have a muddled ancestry and brand/nomenclature.
Personally I prefer the Europa style with the larger saloon area. IF you have need for more passenger accommodations (the Europa generally having fewer berths) the DC is the one for you I would expect.
Both have their pros and cons. So, let me be the first to ask. What kind of anchors do they have?

Rats. Mr. 007 was too quick for me.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:01 AM   #4

City: Hendersonville
They both come with Danforth style anchors. I also have a 25# Plow anchor that would be put aboard.
Captcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I find many comfortable places to sit on my double cabin...both have things likable and not....entirely personal preference...

Age and access can be a factor many forget when choosing either one.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #6
Guru

City: Trenton
These two are basically peas in a pod. I've had an MT for over 20 years and it could have been an Albin for all that mattered. At one time Albins were considered a better boat but by now it comes down to owner maintenance and use.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:25 PM   #7

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
I narrowed our choices to these two builders as well and agonized over the same decision. We ended up buying an Albin. All other things being equal the tipping point for us was that Albin is one of the oldest builders on the planet and was one of the very few who had company Engineers on site in Taiwan overseeing construction. That said, I "now know" if they were there, much of the time they must have been drunk or sleeping because I have many of the same problems that plague all the other brands. If you have narrowed the choice to these two builders based on specific features you seek, my advice is forget which brand and buy the best maintained of either you can find. Even the poorest built boats afloat "if lovingly maintained" are a better buy than a big brand name that has been neglected and abused. If it comes down to flipping a coin, take the one with the newest canvas, a 36 with full bimini and enclosed aft will suck up upwards of 8K to replace.

As to features, I heartily second SeaSalt in that an enclosed aft deck is a really big plus. In fact a must to my wife if I wished to remain in boating.

PS: Both having Danforth's, I guess choosing based on anchor styles is out
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:18 AM   #8
FF
Guru

That said, I "now know" if they were there, much of the time they must have been drunk or sleeping because I have many of the same problems that plague all the other brands.

The techniques to build a TT are common to all the TT builders of an era.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote