Marine Trader Fuel Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidclark

Vessel Name
Jubilee
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Flooding on the Waccamaw has receded somewhat so was able to get down to the boat today. Question about the fuel tanks. Did any of the MT's come with an inspection port on the fuel tanks? On my boat I noticed that the filler pipe is actually stainless steel. Upon further inspection there is a 10 inch inspection port on both tanks. The ports are located on the aft facing end of both tanks. And even though the filler pipe is stainless steel, the tanks are steel. This leaves me to believe that the tanks have been replaced because I can't see MT manufacturing tanks in this manner. Thoughts?

There should be a certification plate on the tank somewhere showing it was pressure tested and date of manufacture among other things. That would show when it was made. If it was built to standards it will have the certification on it.

There should be a certification plate on the tank somewhere showing it was pressure tested and date of manufacture among other things. That would show when it was made. If it was built to standards it will have the certification on it.

There may be one, but I'd have to tear apart a whole bunch stuff to find it! I just thought it unusual to have a stainless filler and steel tank...

Mine are mounted so you can read them easily without tearing anything out. Just thought it would be an easy way to check.

Greetings,
Mr. S. From what little I know, I would doubt EOM equipment on any Taiwanese boat included tank inspection ports or SS filler tubes. While good value for the money, every boat is built to a price point and Asian vessels are no exception.

Perhaps a former owner was being proactive and had the ports installed OR he/she had a problem, of some sort and did the modifications. There IS a chance that what you have IS OEM. They're good to have. At some point I expect you will take off one or both of these ports and have a look-see but that wouldn't even be on MY "to-do" list.

Flooding on the Waccamaw has receded somewhat so was able to get down to the boat today. Question about the fuel tanks. Did any of the MT's come with an inspection port on the fuel tanks? On my boat I noticed that the filler pipe is actually stainless steel. Upon further inspection there is a 10 inch inspection port on both tanks. The ports are located on the aft facing end of both tanks. And even though the filler pipe is stainless steel, the tanks are steel. This leaves me to believe that the tanks have been replaced because I can't see MT manufacturing tanks in this manner. Thoughts?

I would think the filler pipe has a "rubber" hose connection between it and the tank?

Ken

I would think the filler pipe has a "rubber" hose connection between it and the tank?

Ken

Nope. The rubber connection is between the filler pipe and the deck plate.

How is the filler pipe connected? Weld? I wouldn't think it advisable to weld SS to mild steel? And why would you do that anyway?

Ken

How is the filler pipe connected? Weld? I wouldn't think it advisable to weld SS to mild steel? And why would you do that anyway?

Ken
The filler pipe itself has a 90 degree turn which is welded. The tank connection I'm unsure of. If it's welded I'm pretty sure they used the correct welding rod based on the welds on the filler pipe joints. They look really good and were tig welded. I was a certified welder and I would have used a 308 rod to make that weld to the tank. As to why, one less joint to leak? Tomorrow, I'll take a mirror and see if I can see that tank connection. I do think I have a problem with the stbd tank as I can't get fuel to flow from it. The inspection port will make things nice in that regard. The boat sat on the hard for quite a while, so I'm sure it has some stuff growing in there....

Is there a shutoff valve on the tank that you can’t get fuel out of? Mine has them on the top of the tanks.

Is there a shutoff valve on the tank that you can’t get fuel out of? Mine has them on the top of the tanks.

There are shut off valves at the top of both tanks. For a single engine boat, it's has a pretty complex fuel system. There's probably 18-20 valves involved counting the four for the sight glasses. You have the manifolds for supply and return plus the outlets and also the fuel polishing system and duplex Racors. When I switch over to stbd tank the motor will starve and die. I don't think it's sucking air. I'm betting on a clog somewhere in a line or manifold. I haven't gotten that far into troubleshooting the fuel system yet. Still working on the rpm/prop issue. The photo tach should be here any day...

Last edited:
Could be a clog, I was just thinking of the KISS principle. Your fuel system sounds way too complex. Any way to make it more user friendly?

Here's a shot of the fuel system. The PO did a nice job, I just gotta figure out where the clog is. The valves as you see them are not in position for running the engine.

The other shot is the engine room. The PO told me he spent two seasons just renovating down below. I believe him. The boxes with holes are the battery boxes. Port side holding two 4D's for the motor and genny, starboard side holding six golf cart batteries for house bank.

Fuel%2BSystem.jpg

J5.jpg

Wow, that is a nice looking engine room. I am jealous of all the easy access that you have.

Just completed solving a similar problem. Starboard fuel tank would not feed fuel. Polisher plugged too on that side so figured must be junk in both intakes. Shuttled fuel to port tank and opened access port at rear of starboard tank. Sure enough lots of junk in bottom of tank about an inch of stuff in the intake line. Cleaned that up along with scooping out the junk and voila we have fuel flow. Not a fun job but better than replacing the head and lines (another story)

John

That certainly is a nice looking engine room. Do you have to remove the dinette table for the full access as in the bottom picture? I do have to remove mine and it is kind of a PIA. I have learned, though. If I have any need to get at the starboard side of the engine I just remove the table and floor. It only takes a few minutes and although it is a PIA it is always worth the effort.

What is the orange cord running across the engine and coiled up on the valve cover? Looks like a temporary extension cord.

pete

I forgot to add...
The fuel system looks good but 20 valves? each valve having two connections, (in and out) leaves a lot of potential for an air leak and each valve is a potential blockage point. Ball valves like you have are not prone to problems and if it were my boat I would not change anything but still..lots of valves.

pete

Just completed solving a similar problem. Starboard fuel tank would not feed fuel. Polisher plugged too on that side so figured must be junk in both intakes. Shuttled fuel to port tank and opened access port at rear of starboard tank. Sure enough lots of junk in bottom of tank about an inch of stuff in the intake line. Cleaned that up along with scooping out the junk and voila we have fuel flow. Not a fun job but better than replacing the head and lines (another story)
John

The boat was on the hard for awhile so I'm betting I've got junk on the bottom too. Probably sucked some of it up and now have a clog somewhere. Both tanks do have drains located at the bottom of the tanks. Once I get a few other issues taken care of I'm going to open those drains and see what comes out. The inspection ports are pretty large so access to the inside is pretty good. Not sure how the tanks are baffled though.

That certainly is a nice looking engine room. Do you have to remove the dinette table for the full access as in the bottom picture? I do have to remove mine and it is kind of a PIA. I have learned, though. If I have any need to get at the starboard side of the engine I just remove the table and floor. It only takes a few minutes and although it is a PIA it is always worth the effort.

What is the orange cord running across the engine and coiled up on the valve cover? Looks like a temporary extension cord.

pete

Pete, My dinette table is located in the galley below. To access the engine room is just a matter of rolling up a small throw rug and removing the four floor panels. Everything down there is pretty easy to get to with the exception of the dripless shaft seal. It sits under the generator and it takes a mirror to even inspect it. Problematic for sure. The orange cord is a droplight that was used in the picture taking.

Mine are mounted so you can read them easily without tearing anything out. Just thought it would be an easy way to check.

When you say "filler" are you referring to the fill pipe that is welded to the tank, to which the hose is connected for the deck fill?

There are shut off valves at the top of both tanks. For a single engine boat, it's has a pretty complex fuel system. There's probably 18-20 valves involved counting the four for the sight glasses. You have the manifolds for supply and return plus the outlets and also the fuel polishing system and duplex Racors. When I switch over to stbd tank the motor will starve and die. I don't think it's sucking air. I'm betting on a clog somewhere in a line or manifold. I haven't gotten that far into troubleshooting the fuel system yet. Still working on the rpm/prop issue. The photo tach should be here any day...

If it's a clog, when the engine begins to die you will see the vacuum gauge on the Racor tandem filter spike. If it's air, you'll see air bubbles in the active Racor bowl if the air ingress source is before the filters. The vacuum gauge is your friend and an invaluable troubleshooting tool.

It's a neat, squared away looking engine room.

When you say "filler" are you referring to the fill pipe that is welded to the tank, to which the hose is connected for the deck fill?

I was referring to the certification plates for the fuel tanks. Mine are mounted out in plain sight and easy to see.

Here's a shot of the fuel system. The PO did a nice job, I just gotta figure out where the clog is. The valves as you see them are not in position for running the engine.

The other shot is the engine room. The PO told me he spent two seasons just renovating down below. I believe him. The boxes with holes are the battery boxes. Port side holding two 4D's for the motor and genny, starboard side holding six golf cart batteries for house bank.

Fuel%2BSystem.jpg

J5.jpg

I covet your engine room.

Steve, yes I am referring to the fill pipe that is welded to the tank. I verified that it was welded when I was on the boat today.

Wow, what a beautiful engine room, While I was in the US I had a 38ft Marine Trader Classic,1998 was told it was the last one imported to the US, It had stainless steel fuel and water tanks, don't know if they were original but they looked it.

Steve, yes I am referring to the fill pipe that is welded to the tank. I verified that it was welded when I was on the boat today.

OK, so the tank is mild steel and the filler is stainless? You are sure? That is unusual, but there's nothing wrong with that per se, you can weld those together. Your question is, is it original?

OK, so the tank is mild steel and the filler is stainless? You are sure? That is unusual, but there's nothing wrong with that per se, you can weld those together. Your question is, is it original?

Yes, the tank is mild steel verified with a magnet and the filler is stainless, verified visually and magnet. I thought it unusual too and got to me to wondering if the tanks are original. I contacted the PO and he is not sure either. The tanks did have the inspection ports already installed when he bought the boat. The tanks are also painted white but, again not sure if that is factory or not. In any case, the inspection ports are there and the PO has told me he has used them to inspect the tanks. Not sure when he did the inspection though.

The condition of the boat tells me she has had some pretty good owners. I have files and receipts onboard that go back to 1990. For a 1987 MT she is in great shape and I probably shouldn't worry about the tanks.

I'm confused, how does "stainless filler pipe" translate to a tank certification plate? Clearly I'm missing something.

Back in the beginning of the thread he said he was not sure if the tank had been replaced or not. I said to look for the certification plate. Not sure how it got to here though.

Was back down at the boat today and the more I poke around the more I'm convinced the tanks have been replaced. The inspection ports look professionally manufactured with a flange welded to the tank and bolts spaced close together. Here's a couple of shots of the port and the SS filler.

Also verified that there was a clog somewhere in the lines feeding the manifolds for the Racor and the polisher. The polisher works perfect when switched to the port side tank. However, when switched to the stbd tank, it runs for 2-3 seconds and shuts down. Gotta figure out what I'm going to do with the 90 gallons of fuel still in the tank.....

P1020625.JPG

P1020627.JPG

Do you have room in your other tank for the 90 gallons of fuel? If so get a transfer pump and pump it into the other tank. Are you going to have the tank professionally cleaned? If so they will have drums to put the fuel in temporarily.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom