Old 07-11-2014, 05:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Pittsburgh Pa.
Marine Trader 34? 36? 38?

I have narrowed my boat choice down to Marine Trader. I plan on living onboard alone, with 2 dogs for at least one year while I make the Loop. I'm inclined to trade off some fuel efficiency for larger accommodations. I expect to have guests, mostly family, for some parts of the trip.
I'm wondering though if there are more advantages or more disadvantages between a 32' and 38'.
Iknowimcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:59 PM   #2

City: Bradenton, FL
Vessel Name: Coconuts
Vessel Model: 1996 49' Krogen Express
I went through same size dilemma with Grand Banks 32, 36, and 42. Price was part but found great '81 42' GB and couldn't be happier. Operational costs not much different but somewhat higher marina costs due to length. Normally wife and I plus two dogs but with other guests often on board. We normally anchor out so length not normally a problem. Spend as much time on each size as you can to make sure you have a good fit for your needs. Good luck !
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
I've always found the principle that worked well for us over a long period has been to think what is the minimum of whatever it is under consideration that you will need, then go at least one size, bigger, longer, stronger, more powerful, whatever…up the scale. Worked for us...
Old 07-11-2014, 08:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Sportster, then a Dyna, then an FLH...always turns out like that eventually.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:28 PM   #5
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
There's more than a few couples living on Marine Trader 34's full time cruising. There's more than a few single men that would not live on anything less than 40'. Some smaller, still others larger still. The point is the question you ask us can really only honestly be answered by you.

You make no mention of the size of your 2 dogs. If they're miniature poodles almost anything works, if Bull Mastiffs a 60' boat may not be out of the question. If they are large dogs in all seriousness I personally would avoid any kind of sundeck model as hoisting large dogs daily into a dinghy to let them get some exercise would get old real fast.

Enjoy your search and step onto some boats to try them on for size.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #6

I have a 43 labelle model 1985 Marine Trader that is loop ready --- twin Volvo 160s --- good condition and good price
Jlucas1212@gmail.com. If interested
traderjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm considering a Europa model.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:31 AM   #8
Guru

City: Trenton
I've had a Marine Trader 34 for over 20 years. We did a summer cruise with two adults and a 10-11year old. It was the perfect size. Ours is a classic aft cabin trawler style. It's nice to have a separate sleeping accommodation that is not part of the daily traffic scheme. There are hundreds of MT34s for sale in all styles, conditions and price ranges. The bigger ones are nice too but then everything costs more: dockage, lockage, haulouts, storage, shrink-wrap ect... But not really fuel. Bigger will also have more room for systems like air conditioning, generators and a second engine as well as space for more than one season of clothes. It is really your choice and what comes up for sale when you get bitten by the bug.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #9
Guru

City: gulf coast
All boats shrink after owning them for a while. Larger boats are often easier to handle.
They are a bit more expensive to run and for by the foot charges but I prefer larger all else being equal.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:10 AM   #10
Guru

City: gulf coast
Kind of surprising that you chose a brand first. I look for features then see what boats fit. I don't know MT but have not heard of anything that makes it a hands down choice as a brand
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:43 AM   #11
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Kind of surprising that you chose a brand first. I look for features then see what boats fit. I don't know MT but have not heard of anything that makes it a hands down choice as a brand
This is a very good point. In my case when I went looking, I had a few brands in mind but wanted at least decent quality. After looking at a number of boats, I ended up going with a different boat than I had originally thought because it much better fit my needs. All I can say is look at different boats and keep your mind open.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #12
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
There's more than a few couples living on Marine Trader 34's full time cruising. There's more than a few single men that would not live on anything less than 40'. Some smaller, still others larger still. The point is the question you ask us can really only honestly be answered by you.

You make no mention of the size of your 2 dogs. If they're miniature poodles almost anything works, if Bull Mastiffs a 60' boat may not be out of the question. If they are large dogs in all seriousness I personally would avoid any kind of sundeck model as hoisting large dogs daily into a dinghy to let them get some exercise would get old real fast.

Enjoy your search and step onto some boats to try them on for size.

Craig,what are you talking about?I'd board up the house,shoot the dogs,and move onto a 25 foot Bayliner cuddy if I could.

I kid. I kid. I'd wouldn't shoot the dog.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:42 PM   #13

City: Vancouver Rowing Club, Coal Harbour, Vancouver, B.C.
Vessel Name: Summer Wind 1
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 41
I have a Marine Trader 41, which is 42' form anchor to swim grid and is identical to a Defever 42. From what I gather Marine Traders, Defevers, CHBs, if made in Tawain can be identical to each other, especially in construction. The advantage of the Europa design, which my boat is not, is a nice place to sit on the aft end, under cover.
grahamdouglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:24 AM   #14
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
This was my first thought too. As a former owner of a boat that was like a Marine Trader... but not a Marine Trader... you would be well served to search for the style, design, and features you like. It would be tragic to miss a boat that would fit as good or better just because your search terms only filter to a specific brand. As we have all said before: It's not the boat, it's the condition.

Good luck with your search.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:02 PM   #15

City: Redlands
I have recently completed the loop, single handed, in my marine trader 36. My primary reason for the 36 over the 34 is the port side cabin door. Makes locks and docking very easy. I just crossed the 8,000 mile mark in just over a year. I still consider the MT 36 a great boat for me.

Good luck,
Arch
Old 07-19-2014, 12:17 PM   #16
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
How do you get through the locks single handed?
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote