Old 12-07-2019, 11:19 AM   #21
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
When I upgrade my galley I am planning to replace my three burner Force 10 with a consumer 24" four burner range and convection oven. I'm interested to see if anyone thinks this is a bad idea. The washer/dryer that I have in my boat looks to be an original apartment model from 1988 and is still running.

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:52 PM   #22
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
We have Viking appliances on Seafarer. Convection-Microwave, Cooktop and Warming Oven. Our refrigeration system is a built in marine system.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2598.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	97293
Old 12-08-2019, 12:02 AM   #23
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post

Thats my thought as well.

“marine” used to be 12 volts for things like fridges. Now days a well found boat probably has a high reliability, high capacity sine wave inverter, so 12 volt capability is not as important as it once was.

Then there is size. A lot of boats are size contrained, and have cabinets built to fit marine/rv referigerators. If size is not an issue there is little reason not to use home appliances.
And mine.
I'll only add that as for the washer dryer, I wouldn't have anything that was not truly vented to the outside.
And yes, I'd stick with gas also for the stove. Almost all gas ranges will have optional nozzles for use with propane instead of LPG. (Propane has a somewhat lower heat content).

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:28 AM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Using a domestic propane cooktops should be fine, as most modern ones will have a flame-out cutout.

But propane ovens can be a PITA. They usually have a pilot light, which obviously goes out when you turn on the solenoid cutout that is, or should be, installed at the cylinder. Then, when you turn on the solenoid for using the cooktop you need to re-light the oven pilot light or else within a few minutes there will be sufficient propane leaking out of the oven for the safety alarm to sound.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:56 AM   #25
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Wx. You may have meant to say "...for use with propane instead of LNG. (Propane has a somewhat lower heat content). " If so, propane delivers more BTU's per gallon/cubic foot than LNG. If not, I apologize.

You are correct, the nozzles ARE different.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:01 PM   #26

City: Green Cove Springs
Vessel Name: Laa-Dee-Dah
Vessel Model: 64’ Grand Banks Aleutian
I have an all electric boat (gas scares me - it's a fire and explosion thing).

All appliances including trash compacter, dishwasher, washer and dryer, refrigerator, oven, microwave, grill and stove top (induction) are non marine units all highly rated by Consumer Reports.

Looked into Miele and Bosch and they were double the price of a number of highly rated units by Consumer Reports.

All in all very happy with reliability and serviceability of highly rated appliances available at Sears, Best Buy, etc.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 02:21 PM   #27

City: Minneapolis
Induction the way to go

Just this week I replaced the 24" drop-in electric resistance cooktop with an induction unit the same size. It's amazing! Our old cooktop used 240v and so does the the induction, which I ordered from Amazon. The difference in speed is quite dramatic, the old unit would take about 5 minutes to boil a kettle for tea, whereas the induction has it done in less than 1.

My wife wanted an oven so I swapped out the conventional microwave for a combination microwave/convection oven at the same time.

We also have a conventional chest freezer (Sears) and under cabinet refrigerators
dbullendsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:42 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Key West
Vessel Name: Joe~lyn
Vessel Model: 46' Grand Banks CL
Regular Appliances, etc.

I, long ago, replaced my Princess 3 burner & oven with smooth top 3 burner, did away with the oven and replaced it with drawers. Use convection microwave for oven stuff. Additionally, I replaced cold plate fridge boxes with counter depth fridge/freezer. Finally, the washer dryers are Whirlpool and have been on the boat originally (still work great)Ö.'89. Not like the stuff 'built' today. I've been very pleased...more importantly, my wife is.
tdomenech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 05:25 PM   #29
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
If you decide to go with propane remember that it is heavier than air and will fill wherever the tank is stored if it leaks. There is also a requirement for a master shutoff valve IIRC to be able to pass insurance survey. Finally marinas that have exchange tanks are few and far between so you will need to drive somewhere to get more. We have a propane BBQ in our cockpit, but there is sufficient ventilation as well as large scuppers to allow leaking gas to readily go overboard. We also have a composite tank to keep from rust staining the deck from salt corrosion. Finally burning propane releases a lot of water into air and fighting humidity and mold is a constant battle on a boat, why add to your troubles?

Do not waste your money on a non-vented dryer, I would also try to avoid the combination units if you have the space for separates. We have a Kenmore stacked apartment sized set with a vented dryer and it works great. We also have a Bosch induction cooktop and home type refrigerator with drawer freezer.

Generator use is not a big issue since it needs to get run a few hours a day to recharge the inverter batteries, might as well do that when cooking and do your laundry at the same time. If you have air conditioning you will be running the generator for that for weeks on end anyway.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 05:56 PM   #30
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Count us in on the home stuff and electric. Woodland Hills makes a good point about generator use.

Not that we are adverse to a little propane here and there...

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:08 PM   #31
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Count us in on the home stuff and electric. Woodland Hills makes a good point about generator use.

Not that we are adverse to a little propane here and there...

That sure looks like a Hatteras galley and flybridge, not Boston Whaler.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:43 PM   #32
Guru

Well, it's a big 13 footer as they say.... ok, maybe customized just a tad...

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 12-13-2019, 08:07 PM   #33
Guru

City: Fleming Island, Fl
Vessel Name: Sakura Perdido
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Marine appliances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurc View Post
Hi,
Im starting to think about redoing my galley stove, adding a dishwasher and replacing the laundry machine. As I've been looking at the options it seems most new larger boats are going with home units not marine specific although not at a cost savings often so curious if there is another reason.

Specifically I think I'm locked on a Bosch or Miele dishwasher and there aren't marine versions that I know of.

For Range why use a princess or force 10 when I could put in a 24" blue star LPG range? Lots more power, better oven, etc but I might be missing something?

Lastly on the washer dryer it seams like Splendide makes the marine one but LG also makes one which does things like steam, etc for a few hundred bucks more. The only disadvantage I see is I don't think the LG one is vented..

Would love thoughts from those who have looked at this while doing upgrades.

Thanks
Arthur
I abhor any form of LPG on a boat. Just my personal opinion. You can buy a Refrigerator from WalMart for $100, use it till it rusts and then get another one. Same thing with all the other appliances. The question is whether you are cruising the ICW and inland waterways on a weekend basis or are you headed to Fiji? How you are using your boat and where you are going is the deciding factor on what your equipment is (mostly). A little research will show you that much of the "marine" equipment on a boat is the same stuff they sell for RVs but if it says "marine", it costs twice as much.
Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:18 PM   #34
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
I'm not a big fan of propane on boats either. Yes, a gas stove is nice to use, but it's a lot easier than it used to be to power an electric one at this point. In the case of my boat, I'm already carrying around a few hundred gallons of flammable gasoline, I don't need to add propane on top of that. Plus, there's no good space for a proper propane locker on this boat anyway.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:26 PM   #35

City: New Haven, Ct
Vessel Name: - - - -
Vessel Model: ex - Vicem 58
We have Bosch separate washer and dryer (vented outside) - they work as well as regular household units. my wife loves having them on board.
we have Gaggenau induction and convection for cooking. we've always had propane but this system is beyond awesome. (yes we have big generators onboard)
we also have a Bosch electric grill in the cockpit. I was super skeptical because I've always grilled with a Magma kettle, but after the first usage I am sold! no more propane on board.

As far as I know these are all household appliances.
Symphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:37 AM   #36
FF
Guru

"Putting in a boiler and hydraunic heat this winter so will have little need to run the gen"

These too require electric , just lots less. Gravity water heat distribution can be done , but its a heck of a retrofit.

Pumps ,thermostat ignition, blowers, toe kick units all use electric.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:40 AM   #37
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Sea Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Putting in a boiler and hydraunic heat this winter so will have little need to run the gen"

These too require electric , just lots less. Gravity water heat distribution can be done , but its a heck of a retrofit.

Pumps ,thermostat ignition, blowers, toe kick units all use electric.
They do but itís a few amps at 12v not 30a at 220 which is what my Heatpumps use when all on... I have a 2000ah house bank so plenty for anything 110v or 12. I donít have dual inverters so canít power any 220 stuff off it.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:26 AM   #38
Guru

If you are living on a boat full time in colder, damper climes, some sort of diesel heating makes sense to me, I think, even when hooked up at the dock. I'm curious as to how many gallons per hour does it take to heat a boat the size of a KK54?

Of course if you are in very cold water temps, the reverse cycle marine HVAC system may not work at all.

Old 12-14-2019, 11:32 AM   #39
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Sea Bear
The boiler I’m looking at uses .5g per hour and delivers 60k btu which should be fine for the kk54.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:35 AM   #40
Guru

Thanks.

So not as economical as dock power after all.