Marine Fabric Testing Results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
Today I received three fabric samples from Sailrite.com

They were:
Nauga Soft "Doeskin"
Sunbrella upholstery fasbric Canvas collection "Antique Beige"
Sunbrella upholstery fabric Spectrum collection "Sand"

All 3 are light beige in color.

The Nauga Soft is a vinyl product
The Antique Beige is a soft canvas fabric
The Sand is a medium weave fabric

I decided to test each sample using four common "spills" that we encounter on boats. These were:

Water
Ball Point Pen
BBQ sauce
Mayonaise

Here are the results

Water

To test water spills I put 1/2 teaspoon on each sample, let it sit for 5 minutes and then cleaned it up with a paper towel.

On all three samples the water beaded up, and upon cleaning only the "spectrum Sand" sample allowed any water to pass through to a paper towel beneath the sample

Pen

To test pen marks I just drew a quick line, trying to simulate sitting on a cushon with a pen in your pocket.

Pen is difficult to clean up. I tried a wet sponge with Dawn diswashing soap, then 409 then powerhouse orange solution degreaser. None of these worked on any of the samples. Then I tried isopropyl alcohol, which successfully removed the pen from all three samples.

BBQ Sauce

To test BBQ sauce I put a bit of BBQ sause on the sample and lightly moved a finger across it one time simulating a spill, and an attempt to quickly remove it, like you would do during a meal.

I was able to clean up the BBQ sauce leaving no trace from al 3 samples using a wet sponge and Dawn dishwashing liquid.

Mayonnaise

To test Mayonnaise I did the same as the BBQ sauce. I put a bit of Mayonnaise on the sample and lightly moved a finger across it one time simulating a spill, and an attempt to quickly remove it, something you would do during a meal.

Mayonnaise was a challenge for the fabrics, but wiped right off the Nauga Soft vinyl. I tried to remove the Mayonaise using a wet sponge with Dawn dishwashing liquid. I tried repeated scrubbings. This resulted in a very light noticiable discoloration of the "Canvas Antique Beige" fabric. The "Spectrum Sand" shows a very noticiable stain.

Possible even more repeated scrubbings would reduce the stains on the fabrics, but I spent considerable effort to get the results I did.

Attached are several photos of the testing and the results.

Because of this testing I have eliminated the Sunbrella "Spectrum Sand" from consideration. My boat gets used, and the testing I did represents spills that I almost guarantee will happen during the expected life of the upholstery.

I might go with the Sunbrella "Canvas Antique Beige" fabric, but I'm really leaning towards the Nauga Soft. If I boated in a hot climate I would probably go with the fabric, but in the PACNW sticking to Vinyl is a non issue and the vinyl seems to clean up much easier.

Attachments

• IMG_5126.jpg
    IMG_5126.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_5127.jpg
    IMG_5127.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_5128.jpg
    IMG_5128.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_5130.jpg
    IMG_5130.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Hi Kevin,

That is an interesting and useful post thanks.

One question from me - have you tried Ultraleather? For my flybridge lounge I have found that to be very 'kid proof and dog proof', which is important for me. Expensive comparatively, but it works.

good luck.

H.

Hi Kevin,

That is an interesting and useful post thanks.

One question from me - have you tried Ultraleather? For my flybridge lounge I have found that to be very 'kid proof and dog proof', which is important for me. Expensive comparatively, but it works.

good luck.

H.

I have not ordered a sample of ultraleather, but I might.
I have heard its a very good product.

Kevin, nice post and you do your homework.

Now you have me second guessing on how kuch mayonaise I eat...:eek:

For another dlant....My microfiber gray couch is 5 years old now and has someone who lives all day long on it and sleeps on it when my snoring is bad....might as well say thats every night....:D

It also endured a dog laying against it for 4 years and me brushing up against it coming out of the engine room continuously now. Despite my engineroom being pretty clean, I still manage to look like Humphrey Bogart in the African Queen when I exit, just not as handsome.

I cant imagine a better wearing material other than vinyls that I dont prefer to sit on. It also doent show dirt being gray, sovI cant say I would be as happy if it werd a light color.

Last edited:
Nice comparison. (I'd have to include red wine for a test to be valid on my boat :D)

Yes I needed to do a red wine test as well. :blush:

Thanks for the info Kevin. Great post!

Cheers.

H.

We never had stain or water issues (and did create plenty of stains) with the interior Sunbrella fabrics, of which we had extensive amounts in light colors and patterns. . A little extra 303 protectorant if particularly paranoid, which also was applied after cleaning a stain. We usually used any off the shelf bleach based multicleaner, and also found West Marine fabric cleaner very effective too. We used nauga type material on the double helm seat and the dinette seat bottoms just for a little variety if nothing else. Though we did have to replace the first lot of helm seat material rather quickly with something better as it was prone to abrasion (getting on and off, rubbing side to side when standing at wheel, etc). Don't go cheap if you use the boat a lot; we lived and cruised aboard full time year around.

I had ultra leather in my last rv. It is awesome feeling, think baby veal hide, so soft...

But its a magnet for chocolate lab hair. I used to swear it would literally pull the dogs hair out. Maybe they can treat it to keep it from happening, but if you have a dog its worth testing for. It was a big reason I sold the rig.

Mayonnaise stain?

Use a wet vac instead of spreading it into the surrounding fabric.

I find when cleaning things the alcohol is an amazing cleaner. And I also wet vac spots.

Mayonnaise stain?

Use a wet vac instead of spreading it into the surrounding fabric.

I find when cleaning things the alcohol is an amazing cleaner. And I also wet vac spots.

I had it in the fridge at work :)

i felt like it represented something greasy.

Yes I needed to do a red wine test as well. :blush:
Kevin
Great test & write up.
Red wine removal can be EZ
If a lot has soaked in... eg carpet sprinkle liberal amount of salt on the spot and let sit. It will absorb the wine and turn red. Vacuum up the salt.
Next apply hydrogen peroxide and let sit a few mins. Blot w paper towels. Repeat H3O if necessary.
Blood can also be removed w the peroxide.
We always keep a bottle handy...
Great cleaner for anything organic.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Back
Top Bottom