Marine Couches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sofas

Alex,

You know a Navy fighter pilot named Dean Castillo? Spent some time based in Pensacola. Then Norfolk. Flew Angels a few times. Iraq War Pilot.

Echo that thought on aircraft. Just went to a manufacturer's customer committee meeting this week. A fuel door (approx 10" x 12") for a Learjet with a couple latches - $17,000. Touted new window shades (kinda like cellular shades) for the same medium jet, $58,000. Probably the only thing worse would be for a SpaceX rocket.......

"Echo that thought on aircraft."

A toilet seat from Sears , with an aircraft mfg sticker added increases the price 100 fold.

This is because the aircraft is "certified" , and everything has to be an exact replacement with the certified mfg sticker.

Normally a new $125,000,000 people carrier will take $250,000,000 extra to keep it flying legally for 20-25 years.

Last edited:
Our Chris Craft needed a new sofa and we only had 60" to play with on one wall. We, too, seriously gagged at the price of RV and marine furniture. My wife, ever the comparative shopper, kept looking until she landed at Ikea. Turns out they have a whole selection of sofas to fit that size. We settled on one that was L shaped, had an impressive amount of storage under one side and the other side pulled out to make a queen bed. It came partially assembled in three boxes so it was easy to get on board for assembly and it only cost $600. One of the best investments we made.

m8_wbQpkrbawYej9nD7-zg8rgRy107U8Z4V4ghw7zBWA6kNuLMBtdP4o1Zn1JY6VjQ2vntDSBBd_lnTUqi9n64aRWVoilwpJoonFe0tlRDtYj1a-f8XOlGjAYnkgn2WVSvJ3z3NEnqrsmUju1fMrnS0Q0cI2lpcd-HS-dNpozrZxd23_drNIPBtyHUkWFtCHteSomvWf6FmcCXVesAXaqyHZRO4LU_rrQ-NWmR4NrSuKAuJRWwv3CXTcF1Fx2pGUrDcRjDkD6n437uuQ-c-Ok9UGpKoIbyTqfpho0aJ_uAcAQ-Rso2QAUj3FzbkQAorORS857hD8PkP6lFk9GMInT2psToUlcHbUM9LskBSncGAyoxpqwMEwFcR2ZkXLyYe-zSYQ-H4clCWKMuY3nt7AeKZTenTQvAZ7m89ScVOpNRh_l9CA28leE43e6fM8sYyj5b0X4lYZTxhn_9xvfqRGro6po62YuG5Fyj9XY83fQnl414mA0EdEWLopVBxy4XhcVlofhgDYOg0lpUmSLzx5iyzdbVLRKuyVQ7MLWEYmA9VLx8cNMhRHqQk9JAEoDJlpFBmOLb8qDTGT2AMNSb0mdTD_kFf8RGkTzpKUPbMRKqkr2smrUWNLZNy73jBT2ttYnXgqvBjiOhHHj_2KIJUeeKIcJfvj2lANPae1S_uYe8sXDxhOQm-0OfiqhQ=w980-h735-no

We just bought a Home Reserve sofa. Very comfortable and it came in two 19 inch boxes that fit through our 20 inch door.

I have a leather couch from a Mainship 390 in my classic MK1 purchased from a member on this forum.

Got lucky but people's needs change and this thing would look great in any boat. Pulls out to a large bed to boot.

If you read this post and go this route specifically for a MK1 know you'll have to unscrew the back off the couch.. The screws are hidden behind the cover(feel for them).

Another question. Should the furniture in the boat be made of a certain upholstery material? It will be in the boat during the season with a dehumidifier on and damp rid canisters all over the boat. Thoughts?

There's a never ending supply of free (or almost free) furniture on craigslist. Why not just start there? If/when humidity gets to it, throw it away and pull up craigslist again.

There's a never ending supply of free (or almost free) furniture on craigslist. Why not just start there? If/when humidity gets to it, throw it away and pull up craigslist again.

Just be very aware and very careful regarding bed bugs and fleas. I would recommend treating any used furniture thoroughly before bringing in a house or on board. The problem is widespread.

We have a couple of stores in the used furniture business, mostly upscale. We quarantine and treat every item upon receipt. We find that about 5% of all upholstered furniture we buy either has bed bugs or fleas or some other infestation. It's a low probability, but if allowed in and allowed to spread becomes a serious issue.

Also, this isn't a shot at Craigslist. Estate sales are worse. Many times an owner had pets and the few fleas remained on the pets, but after the pets were removed from the house, the fleas quickly got in the carpet and furniture.

You can find some incredible deals and there are many other resources beyond Craigslist now, a lot for mobile phones. Just be wary of bed bugs and fleas.

Starting a long time ago, all my "furniture" is built in. Part of the boat. That way there's no place to put new furniture and no reason to buy new furniture. Just reupholstery from time to time.

Here ya go: www.homereserve.com
You can design your own, and it's not expensive. I put a wall-to-wall leather sofa on my Hatteras. It's about 9 to 10 feet long. I think it was just under $1,000. Love the storage underneath which I did not have with the free-standing furniture. I got two ottomans, too.

I know this is an old thread, but I searched using "furniture". Our new to us boat has pinkish, ugly and uncomfortable furniture. The door opening is only 24" which really limits options. This site is PERFECT and better than Ikea due to the 100's of fabric choices.

Just wanted to say THANKS!

This is all great for anyone who can fit a standard-size couch or love seat in their saloon. In my case, the engine room hatch is about 26" from the outside bulkhead. There's just no way a normal 33" couch will fit.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has tackled this problem.

My built-in seating is uncomfortable; you can't really sit back in it. Sort of like a church pew. I spent a fortune on an expert upholsterer, and while it looks really good now, he didn't make it much more comfortable.

I bought a couch from home reserve. It’s actually pretty comfortable.

This is all great for anyone who can fit a standard-size couch or love seat in their saloon. In my case, the engine room hatch is about 26" from the outside bulkhead. There's just no way a normal 33" couch will fit.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has tackled this problem.

My built-in seating is uncomfortable; you can't really sit back in it. Sort of like a church pew. I spent a fortune on an expert upholsterer, and while it looks really good now, he didn't make it much more comfortable.

We had a heavy couch covering our starboard side engine hatch. Pain in the neck.

Replaced the couch with two rocker/recliner chairs; at least each chair is individually movable, and it's easier to find some place to put them while that hatch is open.

Didn't have to work around any built-in furniture, though...

-Chris

We're in the process of buying a Grand Banks 42 Classic. The settee and table that normally exists on the fly bridge is missing. Does anyone have a suggestion of where I could go to duplicate these pieces?

Larry

Back
Top Bottom