Old 08-24-2017, 02:57 PM   #21

City: Sunshine Coast BC
Vessel Name: Sea Gypsy
Vessel Model: 45 CHB Pilothouse
Couches

Curious about what is marine about any couch? I have used leather couches on the last two boats, as the leathers cleanability and waterproof qualities, make them "marine" I also like the afternoon nap, or extra berth that a real couch makes work. (Ie the $3200.00 couch does not really look like a good mapper, let alone sleeper) Removing the feet makes them easier to get in a tight fit. I removed the windows on a 4588 bayliners, to get one in. It was a snap.

Steve

Howesounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:35 PM   #22
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAlyssa View Post
Another question. Should the furniture in the boat be made of a certain upholstery material? It will be in the boat during the season with a dehumidifier on and damp rid canisters all over the boat. Thoughts?
Our original FlexSteel sleep-sofa was (and the dinette upholstery is) ultraleather or some such. OK.

We just picked a regular fabric for the recliners. Stain resistant magic in it/on it...

FWIW, one feature of LazyBoy chairs is that the come in two pieces -- not obvious and no one mentioned it while we were shopping -- so delivery to the boat and then "installation" was even easier than I had expected.

Realize you're going the other direction, but it may well be many sofas come apart too. The back lifted off our FlexSteel original, so getting it out the door wasn't difficult except for the weight.

-Chris

Old 08-24-2017, 09:06 PM   #23

City: Solomons Island, MD
Vessel Name: Heather Alyssa
Vessel Model: Mainship 350/390
Thanks Chris!
HeatherAlyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:29 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: orange beach, AL
Marine Sofa

Heather,

If you are still in the market, I may have exactly what you are looking for. We just purchased a Carver 530 and the wifey, with her "nesting", wants to change out the Sofas. They are in great shape and the one that fits your size requirement is a sleeper.

The only problem is, we are located in Orange Beach, AL.

PM me if interested.
geauxcruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:09 PM   #25

geauxcruise,

Thanks but I've already purchased one. Waiting on delivery. By the way.... I lived in Pcola for 4 years over by Perdido. Got married at Johnson's Beach. Love the area!!!!! Orange beach is beautiful. Jet Ski'd like a mad man while I was there.

Alex
Old 09-05-2017, 09:56 PM   #26
Veteran Member

sofas

Quote:
geauxcruise,

Thanks but I've already purchased one. Waiting on delivery. By the way.... I lived in Pcola for 4 years over by Perdido. Got married at Johnson's Beach. Love the area!!!!! Orange beach is beautiful. Jet Ski'd like a mad man while I was there.

Alex
No problem. Happy you found something. Im going to post them on TF when we are actually ready to sell.

Pensacola 4 years?? Military?
Old 09-05-2017, 10:02 PM   #27

Blue Angels Enlisted crew 04 to 08.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:40 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I'm jealous!! Spent all four of those years (and many more) in Little Sabine on our boat for the Air Show watching and wishing it was me!! Thanks for your service.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:18 PM   #29

Thank you geauxcruise. It was a great experience! I'm happy you enjoyed it.

Alex
Old 09-06-2017, 08:35 PM   #30

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Everything from toilet paper to electronics skyrockets once you add the word "Marine". It's amazing. I'm in the wrong business."

Try "aircraft" or "military" for best markups.
Yea, what was that adage "An Elephant is a mouse built to MilSpec". Oh, and we have two Lazy Boy recliners on board. The compact "apartment" sized ones.

Marty...........................
MartySchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:52 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Sofas

Alex,

You know a Navy fighter pilot named Dean Castillo? Spent some time based in Pensacola. Then Norfolk. Flew Angels a few times. Iraq War Pilot.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:15 PM   #32

City: Osage Beach
Vessel Name: Cell Mates
Vessel Model: Californian 45'
Echo that thought on aircraft. Just went to a manufacturer's customer committee meeting this week. A fuel door (approx 10" x 12") for a Learjet with a couple latches - $17,000. Touted new window shades (kinda like cellular shades) for the same medium jet, $58,000. Probably the only thing worse would be for a SpaceX rocket.......
LearPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:35 AM   #33
FF
Guru

"Echo that thought on aircraft."

A toilet seat from Sears , with an aircraft mfg sticker added increases the price 100 fold.

This is because the aircraft is "certified" , and everything has to be an exact replacement with the certified mfg sticker.

Normally a new $125,000,000 people carrier will take $250,000,000 extra to keep it flying legally for 20-25 years.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:13 AM   #34
Guru

City: Palmetto
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Our Chris Craft needed a new sofa and we only had 60" to play with on one wall. We, too, seriously gagged at the price of RV and marine furniture. My wife, ever the comparative shopper, kept looking until she landed at Ikea. Turns out they have a whole selection of sofas to fit that size. We settled on one that was L shaped, had an impressive amount of storage under one side and the other side pulled out to make a queen bed. It came partially assembled in three boxes so it was easy to get on board for assembly and it only cost $600. One of the best investments we made.

MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:36 PM   #35
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
We just bought a Home Reserve sofa. Very comfortable and it came in two 19 inch boxes that fit through our 20 inch door.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:11 AM   #36

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
I have a leather couch from a Mainship 390 in my classic MK1 purchased from a member on this forum.

Got lucky but people's needs change and this thing would look great in any boat. Pulls out to a large bed to boot.

If you read this post and go this route specifically for a MK1 know you'll have to unscrew the back off the couch.. The screws are hidden behind the cover(feel for them).
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:17 AM   #37

City: MIAMI
Quote:
Another question. Should the furniture in the boat be made of a certain upholstery material? It will be in the boat during the season with a dehumidifier on and damp rid canisters all over the boat. Thoughts?
There's a never ending supply of free (or almost free) furniture on craigslist. Why not just start there? If/when humidity gets to it, throw it away and pull up craigslist again.
ERTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:02 PM   #38
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERTF View Post
There's a never ending supply of free (or almost free) furniture on craigslist. Why not just start there? If/when humidity gets to it, throw it away and pull up craigslist again.
Just be very aware and very careful regarding bed bugs and fleas. I would recommend treating any used furniture thoroughly before bringing in a house or on board. The problem is widespread.

We have a couple of stores in the used furniture business, mostly upscale. We quarantine and treat every item upon receipt. We find that about 5% of all upholstered furniture we buy either has bed bugs or fleas or some other infestation. It's a low probability, but if allowed in and allowed to spread becomes a serious issue.

Also, this isn't a shot at Craigslist. Estate sales are worse. Many times an owner had pets and the few fleas remained on the pets, but after the pets were removed from the house, the fleas quickly got in the carpet and furniture.

You can find some incredible deals and there are many other resources beyond Craigslist now, a lot for mobile phones. Just be wary of bed bugs and fleas.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:35 PM   #39
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Starting a long time ago, all my "furniture" is built in. Part of the boat. That way there's no place to put new furniture and no reason to buy new furniture. Just reupholstery from time to time.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:10 PM   #40

City: Green Cove Springs
Vessel Name: Just Sayin'
Vessel Model: Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
Here ya go: www.homereserve.com
You can design your own, and it's not expensive. I put a wall-to-wall leather sofa on my Hatteras. It's about 9 to 10 feet long. I think it was just under $1,000. Love the storage underneath which I did not have with the free-standing furniture. I got two ottomans, too.
I know this is an old thread, but I searched using "furniture". Our new to us boat has pinkish, ugly and uncomfortable furniture. The door opening is only 24" which really limits options. This site is PERFECT and better than Ikea due to the 100's of fabric choices.

Just wanted to say THANKS!

CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote