Mandatory Boat Safety Course for Boating in NY - Including Transients

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just like we defensively drive ashore. In fact, when I near the barrier island here lined with a tourist-rented pontoon boat about every 50 feet for miles, I can assume most of the operators were given the state-approved work around ten-minute boating safety course by the boat rental companies. You know we we can't have restraint of trade because of some stupid rule that might cause the tourists to not rent a pontoon for fear of having to spend a half day in a boating safety course. Talk about being defensive!!! You need your head on a swivel out there like a fighter pilot.

The Chapman professional course was a 2 week in length, 8 hours a day, including boat handling. We, the class, took the USCG captain's exam and I passed. The only reason I am not a captain is because I do not have a log indicating I have the required sea time.
I had captains offer to fill out my log, I thanked them and turned it down.

If you wish to equate what I accomplished to a high school safe driving diploma, that is your decision.
I would encourage you to take the Chapman's professional level course if for no other reason than to tell me, it is like driver's ed.

You present your safe boater card doesn't mean you are safe boater.
With the on-line certification, one can read the question, go look for the answers and then return to the exam with the correct answers.
I am not belittling the on-line certification, it is better than nothing.
I will admit, I have forgotten more than a few things including determining ones latitude with a sextant.
I am open to someone coming to my boat and instructing me.
Yup, I have my very own sextant too.

Psneeld, perhaps I am being too sensitive to the point when I am called Captain, I immediately correct them by saying, I do not hold a Captain's license, I just drive the boat.
Holding a Captain's license, to me, is something sacred and the title of Captain is only for those who earned and deserve it.
I taught both licensing and state certification for years......

Completing the course is no where near getting a license. Yes the USCG licenses many that completed the course successfully, but shouldn't. I would say 30 percent that completed the course should have never got their license if it were up to me....maybe more.

Fortunately even the USCG weeds out many who completed.

Now as to recreational boating...it gets really tiresome of those that try to make it harder than it really is. Just like truckers thinking all cr drivers should be off the roads... gimme a break.

Call it whatever you want, if you are the person who owns and "just drives" the boat, you are legally responsible as the captain, license or not, safety course or not. As a private boat owner, I'll happily answer to hey you or any other old thing regardless of the fact that several times I was the sole authority over crews a thousand miles from anywhere. And you I'll call captain until disabused of the notion.

NY is just late to the certificate party. Lots of states have this requirement already. The last holdouts in VA had to comply a couple of years ago.

More and more states are going to require this as times goes on. Since it is a one time deal and the cost is pretty low, it is not a real revenue stream for the states. Most of the money goes to the people who offer the courses, not the state.

It is about as difficult as taking the written test for a motor vehicle and you don't even have to take a practical test.

Back
Top Bottom