Man Ship Door Latch problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Escape
Vessel Make
Mariner 37
This may be a rookie mistake, but one of the Man Ship Door Latch 7200 models has stopped working. The hook bars no longer rotate and the button is stuck in. Is there a trick to free up the mechanism so it operates properly again?

1852938440_orig.jpg

Gave it a thorough WD40ing and it's still locked closed, as in button stuck in. It's not stuck in really, it feels latched in. It's as if something is not letting the button pop back out. It moves maybe 1/16 or more and seems to travel freely in and out, but just won't come all the way out to the open position.

We have different door latches. One was stuck so I took it apart and found a broken spring inside it. Replaced the spring and it works fine now. Maybe take it apart and see what is inside.

Guessing they simply pop apart, but the plastic case gave me the "I'm going to break if you twist any harder with that little screwdriver" look when I tried.

None other than those that mount the latch to the door. There is a seam between the main body and what I would call the backing plate of the latch. That's where it closes and can be opened, but I'd say there's a 50/50 chance of breaking it while trying to open.

None other than those that mount the latch to the door. There is a seam between the main body and what I would call the backing plate of the latch. That's where it closes and can be opened, but I'd say there's a 50/50 chance of breaking it while trying to open.

HTT, I assume you fixed this. I just had the same thing and fixed mine. Bottom line I used a knife to pry it open and spent 3 hours searching for springs and pieces as it exploded. Took 2 hours of reassembly and trail and error to get it back together and it works. My guess is the slider is stuck.

If you need to buy a new one, and you have two rods that open a closet door I think you need to order the 7300 system. I thought the 7200 latch would work but it doesn't have a way to turn the rods.

If I ever take it apart again, it's slow going and take pictures of the pieces in place as I very slowly pry it apart.
Tom

Hi Tom. I did finally get that latch to let go and open. Either I broke the mechanism during disassembly or that was what caused it to jam. I found a supply of new ones and have since replaced it.

Now on a related note, have you taken apart the pilothouse door latches? I really want to have the lock barrels re-keyed alike as it seems insane to have three different keys for the three doors. After all these years, the lock barrels don't simply unscrew with a key inserted. Taking the screws out didn't loosen the mechanism at all and like a lot of things on those boats, the screws mostly hold the parts together while the adhesive sets. I'm pretty sure I will destroy the doors or latches or both trying to take them apart. Surely there is an answer I am not seeing...

stainless_steel_sliding_door_lock_with_key_1__17042.1460986529.900.900.jpg

yes and agree, too many keys. Mine are different from your pic, is that your set or a new set?

No have not tried to replace and do wish one key.

When we lock everything, we carry away two so if we lose one we can still get back in.

Sorry no real help. I do know Kevin the mechanic guy for Scott knows the locking mechanisms well.

Attachments

• keys.jpg
    keys.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 7
We have different door latches. One was stuck so I took it apart and found a broken spring inside it. Replaced the spring and it works fine now. Maybe take it apart and see what is inside.

And most any hardware store has a selection of springs. Take the pieces in and find one that fits. You don't need OEM.

yes and agree, too many keys. Mine are different from your pic, is that your set or a new set?

No have not tried to replace and do wish one key.

When we lock everything, we carry away two so if we lose one we can still get back in.

Sorry no real help. I do know Kevin the mechanic guy for Scott knows the locking mechanisms well.

Those are far more sophisticated keys than our's. Escape is a 2007 Mariner 37, hull 3, and there have been steady improvements over the years. Looks like the locks are one of them.

Back
Top Bottom