Making conversation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frndrfoe

Veteran Member
Hi,
Since my first post in the Welcome Mat with my long term plans I have been convinced to work on short term plans to get on the water sooner. Current financial situation has me looking to get in on the cheap and having two young men (children) I am looking for something with three discreet sleeping areas. I am not finding much that fits that bill better than a Bayliner 3288. I live in the Pittsburgh area and have no interest in river cruising so Lake Erie is my short term target. It looks like docking something much larger might be more trouble than it's worth in the Erie PA area.

There seems to be a huge range of asking prices for this model in the 1989-1992 year models ranging from $1 to three times the NADA estimated value.

Are some people holding gold or do they just think they are?

My Dad owned several boats that were very utilitarian so I have no need for luxury, camping on the water with a few added comforts is fine for me.

I really just want to sleep indoors at anchor and have the boys along for the fun.

Any other model suggestions that I haven't seen? (32 seems like a good weekender length)

/end rambling

Before you say it... yes on the surveys

we also scuba dive so the cockpit type stern is desired.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. f. Good plan re: sooner. About the only suggestion I can make is start looking at boats in person. Since PA and surrounding area is, I suspect, in the throes of an early winter and the local boats are put away, your search may well start in the south. Throw the family in the car. Arm yourself with a stack of boat listings and do a road trip.

https://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/cache/searchResults.jsp?cit=true&slim=quick&ybw=&sm=3&searchtype=homepage&Ntk=boatsEN&Ntt=&is=false&man=bayliner+3288&hmid=0&ftid=0&enid=0&fromLength=&toLength=34&fromYear=&toYear=&fromPrice=0&toPrice=&luom=126¤cyid=100&city=&spid=107&spid=147&spid=112&spid=118&spid=119&spid=120&spid=121&spid=122&spid=128&spid=131&spid=132&spid=134&spid=137&spid=145&spid=148&pbsint=&boatsAddedSelected=-1

VERY quick sampling.

Thx RT,
I have been eyeballin' that one in OH since its would be under 200 miles to get it to home port but it is almost 2x the NADA value ( ~22-25k).

What am I missing?

NADA values typically are off on larger boats.. from what I have seen

HOLLYWOOD

There seems to be a huge range of asking prices for this model in the 1989-1992 year models ranging from $1 to three times the NADA estimated value.

Are some people holding gold or do they just think they are?

IMHO it is a combination of the two. Some boats in that age range are not worth $1. Some are worth 2x the NADA value. The ones worth the most have been extremely well maintained and continually upgraded.

However, that asking prices are very often wildly unrealistic. My advice is to look at a bunch to get a feel for them and determine what you think they are worth. If you can look at 4 or 5 you will start to get a good idea.

Some boats are listed for way less than they should be. They tend to sell fast. Others are listed for way more than they should be. They tend to be on the market for years until the owner gets more realistic.

Greetings,
Mr. f. Re: Post #4..."What am I missing?" You're missing a familiarity of that particular model AND something to compare it to IMO. "Book" values are usually simply an average of what boats sold for. As Mr. RD noted, some are above and some are below that average. Condition, condition,condition should be the mantra you subscribe to. Some sellers are realistic and some are on "fishing trips". ANY boat is ONLY worth what someone is willing to pay for it and EVERY boat is a compromise. What are you willing to compromise for lower $$?

Fresh water boats usually can command a premium price.

I gave that OH boat listing a quick once-over: Given you can't realistically tell very much from pictures alone it seems to be in fairly good shape. Full compliment of canvas (seems OK). Brightwork and interior seems OK. ER, fairly clean but limited pictorial coverage. No idea of bottom.

Why that boat is commanding an asking price that appears to be higher is something only YOU can decide and whether that price difference is worth it to you. I'm guessing the aft canvas alone is worth at least $5K if in half decent shape.

You mention that it is only 400 miles away which IS a $$ factor BUT that should be way down the list in your decision making process. Think about it. How will you get a boat "home" if you buy it at some distance away? Well, you'll probably have to boat to do it. Isn't that what you're buying the boat for? To boat?

Take a look at and actually go on board comparable makes and models. That exercise alone will minimize the "coulda, woulda, shoulda" factor AFTER you eventually purchase "THE" boat.

I live in the Pittsburgh area and have no interest in river cruising so Lake Erie is my short term target. It looks like docking something much larger might be more trouble than it's worth in the Erie PA area.

I'm curious as to why you feel this way.

Was interested in these boats at one time and did some research, Be especially aware of the engine stringers as they tended to rot out, Also, the radar arch had the same situation. If Hino diesel equipped, can have difficulty in obtaining turbos, and heat exchangers. If I recall there is only one guy who can provide these and other parts and they are not inexpensive. Just some thoughts.

I'm curious as to why you feel this way.

On which?
River cruising:
I prefer open water, scuba diving, and many more destination possibilities.

Docking something much larger:
A few of the marinas I looked at have up to 40' capacity, not to mention the cost grow quickly. I am early in this endeavor so there might be more options.

If Hino diesel equipped, can have difficulty in obtaining turbos, and heat exchangers.

Many ads do not mention turbos. Were turbos standard equipment? That might have me looking elsewhere in a hurry. I don't want that complication.

If memory serves me (lol), they were on engines over 110hp

The 3288's (and the larger Bayliners in general) were very well laid out. They remain popular, although they are starting to get on in years, so condition (and price) will be all over the place. There's a "Bayliner Owners Club" forum which will offer some good information.

That said, you really need to zero in on your requirements by doing a lot of web searching on places like yachtworld. I'm thinking the requirement for 3 separate berths is going to be a challenge. Some folks like sleeping on the flybridge, so that's something to think about. You'd want a full enclosure though. Another option is a proper settee with a table which lowers to convert to a bunk. Newer, curved, "Euro style" seating sometimes doesn't lend itself to that.

I'm thinking the requirement for 3 separate berths is going to be a challenge.

I expect the third berth to be the salon, not many two berth boats in this range is the primary reason I am looking at this model.

There is also a Bayliners Owners Club website that has lots of info.

H

BUC and NADA are based on depreciation tables and various economic formulas. Very often they have little to do with the real world but are used mostly by banks trying to determine loan percentages.

Real world is soldboats.com attached are all 1989 - 1992 Bayliner 3288 YachtWorld actual sales data since January 2014.

Attachments

• Bayliner 3288.pdf
    143.6 KB · Views: 68
If you are new to trawling, my suggestion would be to charter first for a period of time. This will give you experience in handling a larger boat, and will help you decide more about the type of boat that you might want for your "forever" boat.

BUC and NADA are based on depreciation tables and various economic formulas. Very often they have little to do with the real world but are used mostly by banks trying to determine loan percentages.

Real world is soldboats.com attached are all 1989 - 1992 Bayliner 3288 YachtWorld actual sales data since January 2014.

Nice!
Don't mean to hijack the forum, just a quick tangent...
How do you get into this 'soldboats.com'...?
Looks like a treasure trove. Gotta be a broker or something?

Nice!
Don't mean to hijack the forum, just a quick tangent...
How do you get into this 'soldboats.com'...?
Looks like a treasure trove. Gotta be a broker or something?

Just gotta be in the marine business and part with about $500/yr.
You can also pull up the original sales listing for each boat with photos.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom