Make sure you slip is clean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampu

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Cajun Rose
Vessel Make
Biloxi Lugger
We were hired to instal some mooring piles after someone else dredged a slip, during the install I found a nasty pipe about 2’ under low tide pointing straight up, the only way to check for trash is a diver
IMG_2339.jpg
IMG_2342.jpg

https://youtu.be/IfLUQTCfRtk

I slipped off my swim platform in Annapolis to check my zincs.

Found a piece of rebar stuck in the bottom up to within a foot of the surface, only a couple of feet from where I hopped in. :eek:

I slipped off my swim platform in Annapolis to check my zincs.

Found a piece of rebar stuck in the bottom up to within a foot of the surface, only a couple of feet from where I hopped in. :eek:

YIKES! Make you shudder to think what could have happened.

Lost a tool overboard many decades ago in the boat slip. Put on scuba gear and retrieved it. The amount of garbage littering the bottom of all the near by slips was amazing and sad. Remember seeing metal milk crates and a surprisingly amount of ropes, some bigger than dock lines.

Ted

It's a good thing you found that pipe. Just think what it could do to a prop.

I'd hate to think of what is beneath my boat. Every spring I take one tool that I seldom use and hold it high in the air. After making a pledge to Poseidon I make a small ceremony before tossing the tool into the water. I've done this for years and thus far it's kept me out of trouble.

Our marina in NJ dredged the slips in the old section. First time it had been done since the sixties. Tens of dozens (no kidding) of beer bottles floated up from one spot near the end of a long dock. Gas trapped inside from decaying beer. No one wanted to take a whiff.

I live on the Potomac in the Dahlgren River Gun Range area. Apparently during a dredging exercise many years ago, some material was brought in from a channel in the central Potomac area to make landfill for a local marina. Fast forward to 50 years to last year. They were removing the railway system their and found a live 3-inch shell from a gun at Dahlgren. Oops! EOD came in and blew it up in the woods.

I tip my diver a bit extra to have him scout around under my slip when he's there to clean the bottom. Managed to find a neighboring slipholder's sunglasses one time. But thus far nothing extreme in or immediately around mine.

I've given my son a rig for 'magnet fishing'. Thus far it's not brought up anything other than discarded bits of broken tools and stray deck nails/screws. Nor has it caught on anything too heavy to retrieve.

Still, good advice to check periodically. Never know what's been swept along after a long winter or storms.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom