Old 10-29-2018, 03:51 PM   #1

City: MIAMI
Make offer on 2 boats simultaneously?

I'm narrowed down to 2 similar trawlers with similar asking prices. It's basically gonna come down to which seller is willing to negotiate on price.

Can I put an offer in on each simultaneously, and then choose to go forward with the best accepted price? (Since I'm offering below asking, I'm very doubtful they both will accept my original offer without countering.)

Is that acceptable practice?
ERTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:04 PM   #2
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
What if they do accept? I think one at a time is a better way to handle it. My 2 cents.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:08 PM   #3
Guru

City: Vermont
I think it really depends on the terms of your offer. A typical formal offer is a signed P&S plus a deposit check. If the seller accepts, they sign and you have a contract. At a minimum you would have two deposit checks out there. And if you end up with two contracts, you will have to back out of one which you normally can do up until you accept the boat post survey etc. Then you are bound to buy.

But that’s the form process. Lots of people go back and forth with verbal offers, then paper the deal once there is agreement.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:08 PM   #4

City: MIAMI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
What if they do accept?
Well that's the second half of my question. If they both accept. Can I just cancel one, or am I already required to get a survey if they accept?
ERTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:14 PM   #5
Guru

Make offer on 2 boats simultaneously?

What does your P&S say? That will be your contract.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:15 PM   #6
Guru

City: Solomons, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
You're asking contractual questions about a contract that doesn't exist. Your offer will be (should be) a written list of terms that are designed to protect both you and the seller. You can put anything in there that the owner will agree to and vice-versa. There are examples of offers available on the web or the seller or seller's broker may have a form they want to use. Read the contract and that should answer most of your questions.
GregBrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:30 PM   #7
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Typically one can back out due to "cause". You can insert any "cause" you want, including "my other offer was accepted" its up to the seller whether they want to accept your conditions.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:32 PM   #8
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
There are many tricks to making multiple offers. Talk to your broker. If you are not using a broker, then I would avoid making multiple offers.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:37 PM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
While I wouldn't make two offers at the same time, I guess you could make them contingent on your wife's approval.....

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:47 PM   #10

City: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERTF View Post
I'm narrowed down to 2 similar trawlers with similar asking prices. It's basically gonna come down to which seller is willing to negotiate on price.

Can I put an offer in on each simultaneously, and then choose to go forward with the best accepted price? (Since I'm offering below asking, I'm very doubtful they both will accept my original offer without countering.)

Is that acceptable practice?

In the marine buying / selling, everything is acceptable .......

Depending on how desperate the seller is ( many are btw. ) and if I was a seller ( and I have been ) and saw an offer with trumped up ridiculous conditions, I would not even reply and if I did, I would insert; " go play with yourself "

Even if you go low / low ball, be credible. ............. just sayn' f
Ex Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:51 PM   #11
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
You are basically being unfair to both sellers.
If nothing else, you may give one seller a heart attack because your offer is so low.
How long have these two boats been on the market? The longer they've been on the market, the more willing they may be to negotiate on the price.
You can stipulate they have 30 days to get it through survey and complete the things on the list for you to complete the sale.
Choose the one you like best and start there.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:59 PM   #12
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
While I wouldn't make two offers at the same time, I guess you could make them contingent on your wife's approval.....

Ted
Ted - In line with similarity to your statement above: He could always make it contingent on anchor type and rode in regard to another family members preference.

In other words... the buyer and/or the seller can write the contract and clauses in what ever-way desired. And, said contract and clauses can either be accepted or not by either party.

Bottom line in the way I purchase most anything. I state what I will pay, and will not move forward into contract till that number is accepted by the seller. Then... the clauses/contingencies get into the contract between us. In my clauses I include ability for me to change my mind with full money back during research on the product to be purchased. If the seller does not want to work with my contingencies... no problem. The next deal is somewhere just around the corner

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:14 PM   #13
Guru

ERTF, you are begining to sound like the guy who wanted to buy a boat only if he could turn it.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:25 PM   #14
Guru

City: SoCal and Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 63
This isn’t really that hard. You don’t have to make up contingencies. Write the offer with a clause stating that you are making an offer on another boat concurrently with this one, and you will proceed with the first accepted proposal. You can always withdraw an offer before it is accepted and you can specify that your offer, if not yet accepted, will terminate upon acceptance of the other offer.

It gives a seller additional motivation to try to make a deal before the buyer (you) makes another deal.
guy with a boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:32 PM   #15
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr.ER. I think Mr. guy has hit upon the solution. Be totally up front with both sellers. This approach also signals that you're not just kicking tyres, you're ready to buy.
The one problem I can see with this is you won't actually know which is the better value for the $$ without a survey on both. Please don't base your decision on $$ alone.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:16 AM   #16
Guru

A couple more thoughts to add to the pile.

Grab yacht brokers P&S agreement and give it a look over. They can be found online and are typically from one brokers association or another. But they are all pretty much the same.

Some key points:

- until the survey is complete, the buyer can walk away anytime, for any reason. So that alone covers your need.

The offer it typically good for only a short time. Order a day or two. So if you aren’t comfortable with two offers and possibly two acceptances, Space your offers a couple days apart.

Keep in mind that a sellers dream is to have multiple offers at the same time. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander. So I would have no problem working two deals simultaneously. And I think it’s to your advantage to let them know you are planning to buy one boat or another based on the deal you can arrange. It can be their boat, or someone else’s.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:57 AM   #17
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Seems as though there are as many unethical buyers in the marketplace as there are brokers and sellers.

Can't believe there are two boats exactly equal and the only thing that will separate them is which seller is willing to most underbid the other on price. Are you certain you looked at them more than superficially?
Old 10-30-2018, 07:06 AM   #18
Guru

I am still fuming about the one guy who came in here stating, he was looking for a boat he could by and make a quick profit basically at the expense of the current owner.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:24 AM   #19
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
I am still fuming about the one guy who came in here stating, he was looking for a boat he could by and make a quick profit basically at the expense of the current owner.
Why would you be fuming? If the current owner is desperate to sell quickly then he will do what he has to do. And the guy who is willing to buy today -- even if his plan is to make a quick profit -- is, in a manner of speaking, helping out the current owner. So long as no one is forced into the deal against their will, it really doesn't matter what the motivation is on either side for agreeing to the deal. If it's a bad deal for the seller, he shouldn't agree to it.

As for the original question, I would suggest that if you are making an offer on two boats at the same time, you had darned well better read the contracts VERY carefully! Otherwise you may end up losing a deposit, or even worse.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:27 AM   #20
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Why would you be fuming? If the current owner is desperate to sell quickly then he will do what he has to do. And the guy who is willing to buy today -- even if his plan is to make a quick profit -- is, in a manner of speaking, helping out the current owner. So long as no one is forced into the deal against their will, it really doesn't matter what the motivation is on either side for agreeing to the deal. If it's a bad deal for the seller, he shouldn't agree to it.

As for the original question, I would suggest that if you are making an offer on two boats at the same time, you had darned well better read the contracts VERY carefully! Otherwise you may end up losing a deposit, or even worse.
Agreed - On both counts!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote