Make a model of your boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgano

Guru
Vessel Name
FROLIC
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Few have the patience or desire or skill to make ship models from scratch, but I once had all three. For those who wish there are numerous places on the internet which advertise completed models of various makes of boats and some will build to suit, but the prices are sporty.

I was assigned to command of USS Tawakoni (ATF 114) in September of 1976. The ship was homeported in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii and a part of Service Squadron Five. Very soon after I took command, several other captains of salvage ships in Service Squadron Five and I were invited to the home of our squadron commander, Commander Boerner. There we were treated to the sight of a number of model salvage ships he had constructed, all under glass cases. They were exquisite in detail, and we all marveled at his skill. Having gone through the usual spate of plastic models as a kid and slowly graduating to more difficult wooden models when I was bored going to long Navy training schools, I began to form a plan.

Salvage ships, being relatively small lend themselves to a workable scale and satisfying level of detail dependent on the modeler’s skill and inventiveness to make parts. I wanted a model in the two-foot length range; so 1/8-inch to the foot worked out well for the 205-foot long ship. The math was also simpler when calculating lengths of various parts.

First up was a visit to the base library (no internet back then) to check out a book or two on modeling because I was not sure how I would fashion the hull, the most demanding part of all. Thinking back to some sailing ship models I had built, I at first considered a plank-on-frame model which could have allowed me to build out the interior showing details of engineering spaces etc. There were limitless possibilities here, but I soon realized I could have been years doing this thing. After all I was a full-time naval officer without butt loads of time on my hands as a commanding officer.

In the end, I elected to build a “bread-and-butter” hull. I had the complete booklet of blueprints for the ship at my command which helped immensely as I made a paper pattern for each of the levels of the hull on pieces of broken pallet wood I had scavenged from the supply warehouse on base. The wood was planed at the Hickam AFB hobby shop not far from my Naval Station BOQ room to a scaled height between levels per the blueprints. As a commanding officer with a place to live (normally the ship because I was not married), I was granted the privilege of being able to live at the BOQ until we deployed. This afforded me some privacy from the crew and relieved the crew of the burden of having the captain aboard at all times.

Next I glued the patterns to the wood (first photo) and cut out the shape on a bandsaw. The levels were all glued and clamped to form the rough “wedding cake” or bread and butter hull. Now all the squared corners needed to ne sanded away using a vertical disk sander. Then I patterned ten or so of the ship’s key frames from the blueprints onto modeler’s plywood and cut them out. Back in my room, I used a shoe rasp over a period of a few days to slowly remove wood from the hull while frequently checking for the proper fit of the frames and the marked locations.

Here I received the only outside help I got on this project as my friend and next door neighbor in the BOQ, Stretch Morrill, a US Coast Guard Warrant Officer Four Carpenter (few of them in that rank ever existed) would come over from time to time after I had all the frames fitting against the hull well and grab the hull from me and run his hands over it with his eyes closed in the most intimate fashion. He would point out places where I need a bit more hand sanding to fair it perfectly. Few photos were taken, but the first photo shows the very beginning.

I returned Stretch’s favor helping him at various points in the construction of an eight-foot sailing dinghy which he was constructing in his room. It was a real interesting job when it came time for us to lower it from our fourth-floor balcony into the bed of his pickup, but I digress. This was all the basis of a friendship which endures to this day. We were quite a pair!

Anyway, once the hull was formed and the superstructure started, I needed it painted and fastened to the base I would use to continue construction because it was going to sea with me on a five-month deployment. The paint was obtained from the Tawakoni’s own paint locker and holds up well to this day.

Photos 2, 3, 4 and 5 show the state of completion before transfer aboard ship. Note the four-story drop in the background in the photos before it was transferred aboard ship.

In preparation for deployment, I had a frame bolted to the starboard side of my cabin where I carefully fastened the incomplete model now sporting its unfinished superstructure made of modeling plywood and sheet brass for the bridge wings. Photo 6, ready to deploy to the Western Pacific.

As time went on, I used a lot of brass rods and tubes for various masts and ladders and booms. All the small pieces were attached using super glue while articles like the bulwarks were strips of wood glued on with Elmer’s glue. Once we deployed, I sometimes had to wait for parts to be mailed by my girlfriend (later fiancé and finally first wife) before I could continue. Working on it at sea was often not possible. I remember the propeller (photo 8) and the whaleboat were fashioned from clay while the 3”/50 gun (photo 7) in the photo was made from wood after several attempts.

While the blueprints were essential for the hull and superstructure and masts, there were many changes made to the ship in the years since she was commissioned in 1943, and I was often seen with my tape measure out on deck measuring various ducts and salvage pumps and buoys so that I could go back and scale them before making them out of small chunks of wood.

As the model came together, it was common knowledge amongst the 69-man crew what was going on, but of course they could not see into my cabin, it being a sacrosanct part of the ship. However, the for-noon messenger of the watch was required to find me (usually in my cabin just before lunch) and perform the time-honored ritual of reporting the approaching hour in the following manner. Knock on door and listen for admission; step in covered and salute saying, “Sir, the officer-of-the -deck reports the approaching hour of 1200; all chronometers have been wound and compared; request permission to strike eight bells on time. Here are the fuel and water reports and the noon position from the navigator.” While this ritual was going on, he would be looking over my shoulder at the starboard bulkhead where the model was progressing so that he might make a detailed report to his mates. So here I was allowing time to actually continue past noon while discussing my progress with the lowest ranking member of the crew. ?

In later internet years I wanted to replicate the ship’s numerous campaign ribbons and battle stars worn on her bridge wings. I went to a navy interest site to find them for the ship all properly grouped. I copied that and printed the grouping on photo paper until I got the right scale, and then I cut it out and glued to the bridge. (Photo 9)

From left, squadron insignia, battle and campaign ribbons, captain’s outside bridge chair, .50 caliber machinegun.

Main mast details requiring a steady hand and super glue.
Watertight door dogs on the main deck were fashion from bent sewing pins.
The model, with the exception of the ribbons as mentioned, was complete by the time we returned to Pearl Harbor from deployment where Stretch bear-hugged me and my fiancé was a bit more delicate. Elapsed time for construction about eight months.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 7 fixed to cabin on Tawakoni8.jpg
    7 fixed to cabin on Tawakoni8.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 3 inch 50 caliber deck gun.jpg
    3 inch 50 caliber deck gun.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 14 battle and service ribbons.jpg
    14 battle and service ribbons.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Tawakoni.jpg
    Tawakoni.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 58
That’s an amazing project. Obviously a huge job and very nice work. Congrats on creating a treasure.

Rich, that is massively impressive. I'm a HUGE model nerd. I've built lots of kits, and even worked in a maritime museum cleaning and repairing ship models of various sizes and levels of finish. I've always wanted to do a scratch build, but I've never had the attention span to actually follow through with it. Good for you, man, and thanks for sharing!

Dumas used to make a kit model of the tug that I run. 48" fiberglass hull with a separate deck and superstructure kit. Harbor models makes it now. It is the Mister Darby( Now Atlantic Salvor) kit which is very well known by model boat enthusiasts. Several times a year I get requests from model builders who want pics of a certain piece of deck gear or other detail pic for their build. Several of the guys I work with have built it.

Last edited:
Dumas used to make a kit model of the tug that I run. 48' fiberglass hull with a separate deck and superstructure kit. Harbor models makes it now. It is the Mister Darby( Now Atlantic Salvor) kit which is very well known by model boat enthusiasts. Several times a year I get requests from model builders who want pics of a certain piece of deck gear or other detail pic for their build. Several of the guys I work with have built it.

I used to lust after that kit when I was a kid looking through my grandfather's RC catalogs. I still remember the ad boasting that it was strong enough to pull two men in a rowboat. I didn't know that was your rig!

I used to lust after that kit when I was a kid looking through my grandfather's RC catalogs. I still remember the ad boasting that it was strong enough to pull two men in a rowboat. I didn't know that was your rig!

I have one of the original Mahogany name boards on my shed. The other one was restored by our assistant engineer (who does F/G work for Hinkley on his off time) and adorns a bulkhead in the galley. One of my colleagues has the RC kit and runs it around.

On the subject of making models of vessels in the 40-foot plus/minus 15-20 feet, the scale to make something,say, about 15-20 inches long would have to be closer to a half inch to a foot which makes for some very detailed work. Think about manufacturing windshield wipers i/2 inch long to fit that scale or antennas and electronics or even a bimini. When I considered the idea of making a model of my GB42, these daunting issues came to mind. If I could not make it with clear windows and the inside of the salon visible with precise and perfect workmanship, I didn't want to do it. Pride of ownership of such a model would have been immense while the job of creating it would have been imposing to say the least. Besides, people are making them to sell for less than a thousand dollars - so not unique like my ship model; however, they are normally in the 35-inch range, just too big for my tastes.

This is not to say that owners would not enjoy making models of their vessels with whatever detail suits them. It is doable if you have the prints to go by. Otherwise, the end result may lack authentic lines and not look right and be more in the way of a bathtub toy.

Rich, that is massively impressive. I'm a HUGE model nerd. I've built lots of kits, and even worked in a maritime museum cleaning and repairing ship models of various sizes and levels of finish. I've always wanted to do a scratch build, but I've never had the attention span to actually follow through with it. Good for you, man, and thanks for sharing!

Dave, the most impressive model collection I have seen to date resides in the Newport News Maritime Museum. Worth your visit next time you pass through Norfolk.

Dumas used to make a kit model of the tug that I run. 48' fiberglass hull with a separate deck and superstructure kit. Harbor models makes it now. It is the Mister Darby( Now Atlantic Salvor) kit which is very well known by model boat enthusiasts. Several times a year I get requests from model builders who want pics of a certain piece of deck gear or other detail pic for their build. Several of the guys I work with have built it.

Are you now thinking of executing one?

Are you now thinking of executing one?

I'm not sure. I really don't have the time or skill to devote to it. I have been offered a fully built one for $2000 made by a friend. It is in the Boston area and I live in Fl. If I drive up and see some family, I may buy it but don't trust shipping it. My Chief mate has one being built now by his neighbor from the kit.

Tools: I mentioned a disk sander and a bandsaw used in a base hobby shop because I had zero "stuff" back then. Everything I owned fit in the back of my Jeep. However, today with all the equipment available to modelers like miniature lathes and saws, outside of those two hobby shop tools, I probably would build my model with the Exacto knife kit, handheld sandpaper, shoe rasp, and tweezers I used back in the day. Well, I would probably find use for my battery operated Dremel set. :)

I have built the Coast Guard 44 MLB kit and a New England lobster boat kit but nothing as intricate as Rganos stuff. I agree about the collection Newport News ..

I'm not sure. I really don't have the time or skill to devote to it. I have been offered a fully built one for $2000 made by a friend. It is in the Boston area and I live in Fl. If I drive up and see some family, I may buy it but don't trust shipping it. My Chief mate has one being built now by his neighbor from the kit.

This model has traveled from Hawaii, to Washington DC, to Norfolk, to San Diego, and finally to here in the Panama City area always in my personal custody in a special wooden box. Once, as a member of the National Association of Fleet Tug Sailors, I took my model from Panama City over to a NAFTS convention in Pensacola. I removed the plexiglass cover for better viewing, and one old WWII veteran dragged his ever-patient wife over to show her where he used t o stand his watches. With his unsteady finger pointing, he got a bit too close and began knocking antennas down. It was a quick fix for me, but the models has not moved again in the last quarter century. It's next and last move may be the fourteen miles to the Navy Dive/Salvage School here.

Superb work, Rich. Hard to put together a combo for such a project. Takes talent, patience, passion and opportunity. Great result.

This model has traveled from Hawaii, to Washington DC, to Norfolk, to San Diego, and finally to here in the Panama City area always in my personal custody in a special wooden box. Once, as a member of the National Association of Fleet Tug Sailors, I took my model from Panama City over to a NAFTS convention in Pensacola. I removed the plexiglass cover for better viewing, and one old WWII veteran dragged his ever-patient wife over to show her where he used t o stand his watches. With his unsteady finger pointing, he got a bit too close and began knocking antennas down. It was a quick fix for me, but the models has not moved again in the last quarter century. It's next and last move may be the fourteen miles to the Navy Dive/Salvage School here.

I'm only trusting myself or my brother as caretaker for storage and bringing back to Fl in my truck. I know it won't be crated as needed by others...

I'm only trusting myself or my brother as caretaker for storage and bringing back to Fl in my truck. I know it won't be crated as needed by others...

That's the kind of thinking that will make it ok. I never had any kids, but I think treating it like a new-born is the only way.

Dave, the most impressive model collection I have seen to date resides in the Newport News Maritime Museum. Worth your visit next time you pass through Norfolk.

I have built the Coast Guard 44 MLB kit and a New England lobster boat kit but nothing as intricate as Rganos stuff. I agree about the collection Newport News ..

I'm 14 miles away in Hampton right now. I would dearly love to go. The museum is closed until further notice. Stupid covid. :banghead:

Rich, superlative story, thanks very much for writing it up and including the pictures. I have always wanted to build a model of MSO-492 USS PLEDGE in which I served many years ago - first I'll build one of RIPTIDE, and then try PLEDGE based on your story - thanks for the push down yet another slippery slope! WR/Pete

I knew two of Pledge's commanding officers. I relived Dick Branum as weapons officer in USS John Paul Jones (DDG32), and Tom Ellis was a Destroyer School classmate and later chief engineer in USS New Jersey.

Last edited by a moderator:
I commanded PLEDGE while she was stationed in Seattle 1990-1992. Great crew and ship all around! Wish I'd thought to make detailed measurements of all of her interesting gear, though - that would have come in very handy when making the model!

This was the best I could do :blush:

Attachments

• 20201123_150857_copy_1612x907.jpg
    20201123_150857_copy_1612x907.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 16
Very cool Rich!

I attempted a build of a Chesapeake Bay skipjack several years ago. I bought a book which had the patterns and dimensions. All the parts were made from scratch using materials I bought or had around the house. It occupied an entire Pennsylvania winter.

I was pretty proud of it, even though it isn't even close to perfect.

BTW The black "rocks" are supposed to be oysters.

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Capture1.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 15
This was the best I could do :blush:

Hey, it works for you. I like the half hulls that seem to adorn a lot of walls in New England for some reason. I wish I had the plans for my Mainship because it is of a size/scale that would be fun and easy.

Very cool Rich!

I attempted a build of a Chesapeake Bay skipjack several years ago. I bought a book which had the patterns and dimensions. All the parts were made from scratch using materials I bought or had around the house. It occupied an entire Pennsylvania winter.

I was pretty proud of it, even though it isn't even close to perfect.

BTW The black "rocks" are supposed to be oysters.

Way to go! I like it. Who dusts it every year? :)

I commanded PLEDGE while she was stationed in Seattle 1990-1992. Great crew and ship all around! Wish I'd thought to make detailed measurements of all of her interesting gear, though - that would have come in very handy when making the model!

I am thinking we may be just about all there is of former USN commanding officers here. Wonder if we got some others lurking about?

Very impressive Rich. All you guys have WAAAAY more skills than me with wood. I stopped at whittling and campfires to chase girls and airplanes. Boats with big butts came much later in life as I approached retirement. I couldn't even draw a stick figure of my boat!!

I had an opportunity to buy this wood model of my work tub for $65 from a guy in the Philippines. I didn't think much of it at the time but I've come to enjoy it in much more in retirement. Now, if I could just convince one of you guys to carve me a FlyWright for $65...

Attachments

• 20201123_142128.jpg
    20201123_142128.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 17
Dusting??

I assembled a plastic kit of a clipper ship when I was in junior high school, and it was a mass of blocks and rigging. It sat atop my mother's piano for years, and it caught a lot of dust. Every time I returned home on annual leave at the holidays, it was my job to take and artist's brush to the rigging to removed the dust.

Back
Top Bottom