Make a model of your boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very impressive Rich. All you guys have WAAAAY more skills than me with wood. I stopped at whittling and campfires to chase girls and airplanes. Boats with big butts came much later in life as I approached retirement. I couldn't even draw a stick figure of my boat!!

I had an opportunity to buy this wood model of my work tub for $65 from a guy in the Philippines. I didn't think much of it at the time but I've come to enjoy it in much more in retirement. Now, if I could just convince one of you guys to carve me a FlyWright for $65...

Sure, I'll do one for you for 65 bucks - think stick figure. :hide:

Congratulations on a beautiful scale build! I wish you lived near me so you could be my model making mentor. Now that things are finally cooling off I can resume my next project, a Hatteras 58' LRC. My skills are rusty from years off but it is exciting to see what can be accomplished with skill and patience. Thank you for sharing. My office is like a maritime museum with all of the models I have collected over the years. The Newport News museum is by far my favorite. Everyone should visit it when it is open.

San Diego navy base had a collection of various ships made of brass sheeting and soldered together, in the lobby. Many times, I wanted to stop and look at them but, I was a recruit and every time I slowed to take a closer look, there would be a Chief or E-6 encouraging me to move on.

I used to gaze in awe at the sterling silver battleship model presented to the Navy by the Japanese before WWII. It used to be in the US Naval Academy Museum. My all time favorites were the models of US heavy and light cruisers I think built during or just before WWII for the government. At four or five feet long, you can just imagine the level of detail in them.

I gotta say - those Philippine modelmakers have/had some great skills. Back in the late 70's, I had them make me models of the MIG-25 interceptor and the Backfire bomber, models that hang in my study now, as well as a more complicated model of a SH-60B (made in the mid-90's) - they all look great!
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Very impressive Rich. All you guys have WAAAAY more skills than me with wood. I stopped at whittling and campfires to chase girls and airplanes. Boats with big butts came much later in life as I approached retirement. I couldn't even draw a stick figure of my boat!!

I had an opportunity to buy this wood model of my work tub for $65 from a guy in the Philippines. I didn't think much of it at the time but I've come to enjoy it in much more in retirement. Now, if I could just convince one of you guys to carve me a FlyWright for $65...

Back in the late 80's I decided to build a 18' dory from plans I had ordered (stich & glue). After spending many hours looking over the plans I was still not to confidante I understood them. I few months prior to this there was a article in Wooden Boat Magazine on how to build a model by scaling down the plans. Bought a door skin and some balsa wood and proceeded to build it to the point I was confidante enough to start the real deal. Worked out great.

Mr Darby model kit

So one of my crew found this model on FBMP locally. It is radio controlled,and came with its own transport cart and a half built barge to be towed. The original Mr Darby is in the background. Less than $900 for the whole package.
Instead of my usual flight from job in NJ to my home in Florida, I'll be renting a car and driving,lol.

Attachments

• received_811049052777549.jpg
    received_811049052777549.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20201212_120239.jpg
    20201212_120239.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20201212_120255.jpg
    20201212_120255.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20201212_120438.jpg
    20201212_120438.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 21
When I was on the Madison, SSBN 627, Captain Skoogs we building a model of the sub. I never saw it in action but, it used a can of shaving cream to displace the water in the ballast tanks.

I LIKE it! Bring it over here and we'll chase it around the bayou in the Frolic. :)

When I was on the Madison, SSBN 627, Captain Skoogs we building a model of the sub. I never saw it in action but, it used a can of shaving cream to displace the water in the ballast tanks.

Now that would be a bubbly surfacing!

I commanded PLEDGE while she was stationed in Seattle 1990-1992. Great crew and ship all around! Wish I'd thought to make detailed measurements of all of her interesting gear, though - that would have come in very handy when making the model!

My Dad was in the main battery director of the Doyle, DMS34, at Wonson when the Pledge and the Pirate were mined.

Wow! REALLY impressive!

Sailed through the Graf Spee oil slick back in the 80's.......

So one of my crew found this model on FBMP locally. It is radio controlled,and came with its own transport cart and a half built barge to be towed. The original Mr Darby is in the background. Less than $900 for the whole package.
Instead of my usual flight from job in NJ to my home in Florida, I'll be renting a car and driving,lol.

Really great find! Will you leave it as Mr. Darby or update it to Atlantic Salvor?

Back
Top Bottom