Old 03-25-2016, 08:34 AM   #1

City: Grand Manan
Mainship Trawler 40 pro's and con's

Just wondering about the 2005 with twin Yanmars 450 hp [economy,liveabilty,handling in sloppy weather,do they pound head to it etc.] Thanks
53Benjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:31 AM   #2
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
900hp! Wow! Would love to see that flying off the wave tops at 30kts!

Keith
Old 03-25-2016, 09:37 AM   #3

sorry Keith l got that wrong 240hp each for a total of 480 think their getting 16-19 kts
Old 03-25-2016, 11:09 AM   #4
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Benjy, I know you are new here and absolutely nothing wrong with your question. I think to answer it, we have to break the boat into all of it's parts. There are likely very few people that own that boat on here....BUT, there are many people that own Mainships. They are decent boats and represent great value. The generally use decent hardware. They would be synonymous with a Ford or a Chevy. The heart of that boat is those engines....Yanmar 4LHA-STP. I have owned one and they are pretty highly regarded. I put about 900 hours on mine before I sold it. 900 hours of completely trouble free operation and I would expect many more after that.

If you plan to cruise that thing below hull speed you might want to check out the "underloading" thread. There is a lot of myth and legend in underloading a diesel but there is a lot of good info on that thread...if nothing else, just food for thought. WIth that said, that engine does have a seawater cooled oil cooler. And it is a very good one. Meaning the oil remains too cool at low power settings. Will it hurt your engine to run at low power settings all the time???? I think you need to read up on it and do some research. I will tell you this....I could NEVER get my oil up to a decent temperature to change it. Idling in the slip did not do it. So I would run out into the lake and run it hard....but the idling done in the no wake zone back to the slip had the oil cooled off before I could change it. Anyway, all I am saying is that oil cooler works well and you may need strategies in place if you plan to run that boat at low speeds. This is absolutely not a "problem" with those engines. But they were designed to SCREAM!!!....and that is how I operated mine. 2800rpm cruise.

The Mainship 40 is a perfectly fine boat. If it suits the type of boating you plan to do, I am willing to bet it will serve you very well....and at a decent price point as well.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:42 PM   #5

Thanks Baker for that info, Gee didn't want to sail in the corner all the time. never heard of underloading. Been a commercial fisherman for 35 years and not a term I'm familiar with but will check it out. Guess l thought there would be quite a few on here as they built a good number,anyway research shows the engines popular and think this would be a good coastal cruiser for 3 or 4 months a year. Looks like you could accommodate a nice crowd aboard the Carver.Do you spend 2 or 3 weeks at a time on her which is what we plan on doing. Thanks Again
Old 03-25-2016, 07:27 PM   #6
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Benjy View Post
Thanks Baker for that info, Gee didn't want to sail in the corner all the time. never heard of underloading. Been a commercial fisherman for 35 years and not a term I'm familiar with but will check it out. Guess l thought there would be quite a few on here as they built a good number,anyway research shows the engines popular and think this would be a good coastal cruiser for 3 or 4 months a year. Looks like you could accommodate a nice crowd aboard the Carver.Do you spend 2 or 3 weeks at a time on her which is what we plan on doing. Thanks Again
My only point was there are not as many people that own Mainship 40s on here that own Ford F150s or Honda Accords. The 4LHA is an EXCELLENT engine. I just mentioned that as an FYI. Probably not much to worry about.

Yes, we do spend a lot of time aboard the Carver. It is an incredibly roomy and comfortable boat. About as good of a layout as you will find in a "35 foot boat".
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:17 AM   #7
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
For loads of information on the Mainship 40, go to Steve Cyr's website: Steven Cyr's Stella Blue Site He has the single Yanmar and says that it is a hull speed cruiser with that engine.

The MS 40 weighs 24,000 lbs dry and maybe as much as 28,000 loaded with people, gear and fluids. I don't think that even the twin Yanmars at 480 hp total will push it up to the high teens at wot, maybe 16 or so and cruise at 12.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:50 PM   #8
Guru

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
We have a 2003 390 with a single Yanmar 370. The MS 400 replaced the 390. We've put about 800 hours on ours since we bought it in 2008. They are well built boats and we have had no issues with ours. As Baker said they are often described as the Ford or Chevy of trawlers. They were mass produced and a lot were built. However it all depends on what you are going to use it for. Mainships are coastal cruisers and serve that need well. They are not heavy blue water cruisers. They are great for a cruise down the coast and over to the Bahama's, but not a long offshore trip to Bermuda.
John
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:54 PM   #9

Thanks for the input John Lots of open water here in Atlantic Canada is all l was thinking. I'm sure it would be fine for cruisin along the coast Thats a nice lookin boat you have there