Old 04-16-2017, 04:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: NAPLES, FLORIDA
Vessel Name: BELLADONNA
Vessel Model: 34' MAINSHIP HARDTOP TRAWLER
Mainship Awlgrip Paint color?

Hello fellow boaters!
could anyone tell me what shade of Awlgrip Paint was used on Mainship trawlers
It is a navy blue shade and I am told if is a paint produced by Awlgrip.

Hope someone can give me some input. Thanks!

BellaDonna
BellaDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:39 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
BellaDonna

You didn't mention Yr? - I see from your post you are a HT as I am so here's the best I can do...

Take a look at the Mainship Hull Paint Info & Links on this link

I had to do some repair / repaint and did a fair amount of research so thought I'd share it. Note there is also a tab for care & maintenance of Awlcraft.

You may find some other useful info on the "Bacchus" link in the signature.

Let me know if you have any questions - I do have some pics of the repaired area. The Awlcraft matched exceptionally well I may do a little buffing at spring commissioning but it is barelly noticable even up close.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Identical to ours

Thanks for the reply. Your boat is identical to our 2008 trawler hardtop please send any info you have. Any suggestions would be appreciated as I will be trying the repair myself and have no experience.
Happy Easter, look forward to your input.
BellDonna
Old 04-16-2017, 06:03 PM   #4

City: NC
Vessel Name: The Blue Comet
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs/ NT32
Awlgrip on Mainship

Mainship used Awlgrip's dark blue color called Flag Blue. That's the paint on my boat.
ColonyCove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:16 PM   #5
TF Site Team

What is the nature / extent of repair reqd?
Old 04-16-2017, 06:19 PM   #6
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonyCove View Post
Mainship used Awlgrip's dark blue color called Flag Blue. That's the paint on my boat.
Many folks use Awlgrip name but in reality I believe you will find it is Awlcraft... by the same parent Co but is a different paint system than Awlgrip...same color chart but a different chemistry.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Mainship hull color...CONFUSED

I have had two replies regarding the Awlgrip color shade. The Mainship is a 2008 hardtop trawler identical to BACCUS. My last reply from COLONY COVE said it was a flag blue . Indeed the current color looks to be the same as mine. Wondering if BACCUS used the same Paint.
Also which Awlgrip is the proper Paint?
The port side has three white scratches all around four feet long.
Please advise and add any helpful info.

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2017, 06:27 AM   #8
TF Site Team

BellaDonna

I don't know if you accessed the Hull & Paint info on my Bacchus website - The link I provided - it didn't work properly from my phone but does from laptop.

I'll attach some of the files to be sure.

I did a fair amount of research before my repair / repaint and sure that MS used AWLCRAFT paint - not the same as Awlgrip but their website is somewhat confusing as it is listed on pages titled Awlgrip...there is a difference.

See...Repairing Topcoat, Awlgrip vs. Awlcraft (a good comparison from Jamestown Distributors)

My hull was definitely Majestic Blue but I'm not saying other boats may indeed be Flag Blue. Take a look at the Awlgrip / Awlcraft color cards available online to see which your resembles - Flag has more of a Blue tint - color - hue (not sure what the correct term is?) while Majestic almost appears Black - in fact some folks have complimented be on the appearance of my black hull! It is a very dark blue and when buffing it out after painting you get a blue residue -
If you have original paperwork from previous owner it may help - mine listed Majestic Blue and is what confirmed my choice...and I'm very pleased the match is outstanding
Note - see Awlcraft recommendations as they do not recommend compounds / cleaners or wax or mechanical buffers - some swear by applying wax others not so much - I am now following Mfg recommendations - you decide

All of the info here (& more) is available online on my "Bacchus" website - in the links section

I primed my repair as it was a section of fiberglass repair and the primer enhances adhesion. If you are only hiding scratches you may get away with topcoat only - you might inquired at the mfg.

One last note / caution...
Check the "scratches" - my repair was a thin white line that was actually a crack in the gelcoat under the blue paint the area is shown in the photos on one of the attached docs. Turns out it is just above the attachment of the bulkhead between the engine & gen and was caused by flexing of the hull - the section above the attachment flexes and the section near/below bulkhead doesn't creating a high stress area which cracked the gelcoat - the yard recommended adding a tapered fiberglass reinforcing "patch" to the inside of the hull around the attachment point to spread out the stress. Which they helped me do - 2 man job and I was the helper for my yard FG repair guy.

I ground out the outside scrath are and filled it w/ epoxy but it opened up again - has to grind out a wider section outside and lay up to mat / resin to span the original crack - second attempt successful at lest after one season.

I mention the above only that I believe it is a design / mfg weakness of these MS's - now convinced that "tabbing" of bulkheads should end in a tapered fashion - in all directions - to avoid a stress concentration. The inside addition was relatively easy - except for access & prep - but you don't have to worry about finish like you do on the outside.

Any other specific questions - ask away
Are you doing the painting yourself? or yard / friend ?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mainship Hull Paint Info.pdf (426.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: pdf Maintaining an Awlcraft 2000 Topcoat.pdf (153.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: pdf Awlcraft 2000 Data Sheet.pdf (35.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: pdf Awlcraft Reducer Data Sheet.pdf (42.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: pdf Awlgrip 545 Primer Data Sheet.pdf (142.3 KB, 26 views)
Old 04-18-2017, 10:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

BACCUS Info tremendously helpful.

Reviewed most of your info and am very impressed with complete parts list. Wow!
This will be a huge help to us as replacement parts are impossible to find. Would you know who supplies the rear door closure mechanism on the top of both doors?
As for the Awlcraft I intend to persue this job when I return home. Currently visiting family on Long Island.
Hope to stay in touch with you. Can't thank you enough for all of your help.

Donna
Old 04-18-2017, 10:00 PM   #10

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Ms Liz
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 30 Rum Runner
I have a 2006 30 Mainship rum runner and it is called "stars and stripes"
MsLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:29 AM   #11
Guru

The marina where I winter store does boat painting and repairs. They simply take a picture of the hull and send it somewhere and they match the paint.
It always matches perfectly.
I just don't know where they do this but it shouldn't be hard to find on the inet.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:48 AM   #12
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDonna View Post
Reviewed most of your info and am very impressed with complete parts list. Wow!
This will be a huge help to us as replacement parts are impossible to find. Would you know who supplies the rear door closure mechanism on the top of both doors?
As for the Awlcraft I intend to pursue this job when I return home. Currently visiting family on Long Island.
Hope to stay in touch with you. Can't thank you enough for all of your help.

Donna
Not sure if you are talking about the item that holds the door open (adjustable tension) or the slide that secures the second door when not being used / opened.

I checked the BOM that I have and don't see the door or either of the parts above mentioned - I'd look to see if there are any mfg names, #'s etc that might provide a clue. I do know that SouthCo provided much of the hardware to MS.
Other knowledgeable MS owners may be able to help if you can clarify which part.