Mainship 390 top deck drainage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marke627

Recently purchased a 2003 Mainship 390 and notice the top deck drains down the upper support posts and into the bilge. I’m not a fan of that and wondering if anyone has modified the drain system to dump into the cockpit which drains overboard?
Thanks,
Mark

On our 2003 390, the tubes inside each support post connect to the drain boxes on their respected sides, as do the deck drains, and exit the boat at the aft corners. I've had issues with those boxes on our boat, and they're next to impossible to access, or even see. Perhaps you have a hose or two that has come loose, and when that happens the rain water will end up in the mid-bilge area. I did manage to access the port drain box enough to tighten the hose clamps, but the starboard one is just impossible w/o removing the water tank, so I re-routed all the hoses that connected to it and sealed it off.
Good luck,
Nick

Thanks for the reply. When I go back to the boat I’ll take a mirror with me and see if I can get a look. I suspect as you suggest a hose or hose’s have came loose?
Just didn’t make sense to be draining in the bilge.
Thanks, Mark

They don’t drain into the bilge. There is a hose connected to the bottom of each drain pipe that in turn connects to a tee that connects to the cockpit drain.
Years ago the hose came off the tee and I had to reconnect. A major pain in the butt. A friend sat in the cockpit with his back to the transom and his arm twisted up into the opening at the inside top of the transom. I crawled through the gen access and over the water tank with a flashlight looking for the lose end. I found it and reconnected to the tee. It is an extremely tight fit and I couldn’t get out my self friends had to pull my legs and I had to make promises of free beer to get out.
The boat was a2003 that I bought in 2007. It’s possible it was disconnected since new.
I always wished a midget (ok politically correct term “little person”) would buy a boat and keep it on our dock. I can guarantee that he would never need to buy beer.

Correct - they drain down and out the cockpit drains. Make sure you take the screens off at the top and check that they aren’t getting plugged up. It’s not a smooth transition, and I had alge/moss? grow inside. This coupled with other detritus plugged it up.

I always wished a midget (ok politically correct term “little person”) would buy a boat and keep it on our dock. I can guarantee that he would never need to buy beer.
I always said I needed arms like an orangutan - and even then... :banghead:. So many areas where limited life components have little, or NO access. Don’t know if it was just Mainship, or if other manufacturers of that era were as completely careless in regards to maintenance/repair access. It was one of my biggest frustrations with mine. We’re in negotiations for our new-to-us replacement boat - and component access was a leading shopping checklist item.

Back
Top Bottom