Mainship 390 Black Water Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Walkweb

Vessel Name
Moondance
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
We're the proud new owners of a 2000 Mainship 390 rescued from Fort Myers and the aftermath of Ian. Currently trying to work out some of the oddities of its systems - like the black water tank. With no gage to show me the level, can anyone give any hints as to how I know when it's full? And has anyone found a system to monitor the tank level? Crappy subject, I know. Many thanks.

Install a tank level monitor. SCAD monitors Scad Tank Monitors are top rated and reasonably priced...available even from Amazon.

And I'm always glad to answer your questions on this "crappy" subject.

--Peggie

We just installed a Scad system in our boat. Pretty simple install but the directions that are in the box are a bit vague. But they have better directions on their website.

Not seeing it on Amazon at all. Defender has them but prices seem swapped based on 1 or 2 tank models.

—Kevin

Ps - apparently the two tank one at defender is only the meter, no sending units (sold separate).

Last edited:
I got mine from Defender. They had the best price at the time.

...apparently the two tank one at defender is only the meter, no sending units (sold separate).

That's likely to be true at all retailers...and there's a good reason for it: The 2 tank SCAD system can monitor both a water tank and a holding tank. Although almost all holdiing tanks are plastic or fiberglass, water tanks are often metal--and there are still a few metal waste tanks-- on which an external sensor won't work. For metal tanks SCAD offers an internal sensor that's enclosed in a PVC tube hat protects it from the tank contents (if you've ever seen the slime that can build up on the walls of a water tank, it can build up on a tank sensor you'll understand why). So it makes no sense to automatically just include 2 external sensors in every 2 tank system. If you haven't spent any time prowling SCAD's website, I suggest you do so...there's some good info on it.

--Peggie

Not seeing it on Amazon at all. Defender has them but prices seem swapped based on 1 or 2 tank models.

—Kevin

Ps - apparently the two tank one at defender is only the meter, no sending units (sold separate).

The reason the prices seem swapped is that the TM1 comes with a sensor and the TM2 doesn’t. We have a TM1 for our holding tank.

If the tank is plastic a bright flashlight on the top of the tank will give you an idea of the level

We're the proud new owners of a 2000 Mainship 390 rescued from Fort Myers and the aftermath of Ian. Currently trying to work out some of the oddities of its systems - like the black water tank. With no gage to show me the level, can anyone give any hints as to how I know when it's full? And has anyone found a system to monitor the tank level? Crappy subject, I know. Many thanks.

I'm surprised there's no sensor/gauge there already.

At least one other of the Luhrs Group makers used WEMA (now KUS) in-tank sensor systems... and the newer versions that are available now work OK.

Ditto their similar sensors for freshwater systems, and for fuel tanks...

-Chris

The problem with in the tank sensors is they get dirty and stop working. Then you have to clean them, yuk. Our boat had them and didn’t work so I just took them out of service and went with the Scad system.

The problem with in the tank sensors is they get dirty and stop working. Then you have to clean them, yuk.

There is that. OTOH, I didn't find it too horrible. Pump out and rinse the tank first, of course.

Remove the sensor and drop it in a bucket of cleaning stuff (muriatic acid, whatever). Replace the sensor immediately with another kept for spare.

Eventually rinse the newly-cleaned sensor and stow it for next time. In our case, access was easy, so the whole "remove and swap" drill only took about 10 minutes from start to finish.

-Chris

There is that. OTOH, I didn't find it too horrible. Pump out and rinse the tank first, of course.

Remove the sensor and drop it in a bucket of cleaning stuff (muriatic acid, whatever). Replace the sensor immediately with another kept for spare.

Eventually rinse the newly-cleaned sensor and stow it for next time. In our case, access was easy, so the whole "remove and swap" drill only took about 10 minutes from start to finish.

-Chris

Better you than me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom