Mainship 39

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jclays

Vessel Name
Freebird
Vessel Make
1997 Mainship 350
Good morning
Even though I've been searching for a Californian 38 LRC (hard to find) my wife pointed out a 39 Mainship trawler late 90's early 2000's. Anyone with info on the Mainship 39's? Haven't found much on the forum below. I'm interested in the twin screw boats. Some have Cumins, Yanmars, and Volvos.
thanks in advance
Jim

Jim, I am not sure if you mean a Mainship 390 or something else. The 390 is just about the same as the 350, both trawlers, with a few design changes. There are tons of posts about the 350, 390 and 400's so maybe you should adjust your search criteria.

The attachment is a starting point for the differences between the various models.

Attachments

• Mainship Differences 390_400.pdf
    165.7 KB · Views: 42
Sorry, yes the 390.

I’m a little confused. Are the 350/390 the same boat?

Just a comment on the listed engine choices.
In order of preference I would say: Cummins, Yanmar, followed way back with Volvo.
If you find THE boat for you, and the only issue is a very well maintained Volvo, then go for it. However, if comparing 2 similar boats, I would avoid Volvo. JMHO.

Just a comment on the listed engine choices.
In order of preference I would say: Cummins, Yanmar, followed way back with Volvo.
If you find THE boat for you, and the only issue is a very well maintained Volvo, then go for it. However, if comparing 2 similar boats, I would avoid Volvo. JMHO.

Are Volvo's bad engines?

The 350 and the 390 are essentially the same. There was a problem with the swim platform filling with water on them so make sure it has been fixed. Personally I would avoid Volvos. I had them in a previous boat. Parts are very expensive, slow to get parts and it seems that Volvo doesn’t support the older engines well. But some people like theirs...

+1 with Comodave.
I have had several experiences (same engine) with Volvo that caused me to "dislike" them. Parts can be difficult to get and are often expensive. Several times with a fairly new engine (not more than 5 years old), I had to wait for parts to be shipped across North America (one time), and from Sweden once! Support from the Canadian Customer service rep was poor, and all he ever wanted to do was "blame the owner", with no evidence to support such a blame. I followed their manuals exactly.

If you like to learn things yourself (in other words, first hand), then by all means don't avoid a Volvo. However, if you like to learn from the experiences of others, then consider the advice that Comodave and I have given. Your choice.
But, as I said earlier, "If you find THE boat for you, and the only issue is a very well maintained Volvo, then go for it. However, if comparing 2 similar boats, I would avoid Volvo. JMHO."

Their may be other forum members who like Volvo, and/or who have had good experiences with them, but that is not what I experienced!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom