Old 07-17-2020, 01:38 PM   #1

City: Vancouver
Mainship 34 - single screw docking?

Hey guys - I am narrowing my search for a small trawler and really like the early 80's mainship 34.

My biggest concern is the single screw diesel and no thrusters.

Would I regret and resent this boat as it would be a nightmare to take in and out of a busy marina with a narrow slip?

My experience is working a 30'sailboat, 25' grady (single 250hp) and several 18-20 boats.

My biggest gripe with the sailboat was docking - it was almost impossible to do solo (large keel) and overall resulted in my decision to sell the boat.

Thanks for any feedback!
jcon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:43 PM   #2

City: San Diego
I think you'll find the Mainship worse than the sailboat at docking. Longer length and more sail surface/area from the cabin creating issues from wind at docking. The only good news is lack of large keel.
Swfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:56 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Well docking is only one aspect of boat ownership. Even if it's hard I wouldn't NOT buy it just because of that.

Do you like the the other qualities of the boat?

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:57 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I have only driven a Mainship 34 one time. It did have a bow thruster and it was fairly easy to back into the slip. I think that it would be quite a bit more difficult without the thruster. But you can learn to dock any boat without a thruster. It will probably take more going forward with the helm turned and give a burst of power to straighten the boat and then continue in reverse. Good luck.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:11 PM   #5
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I came from a twin-screw Grand Banks 42 which could make dance to this MUCH lighter single-engine 30-foot Mainship Pilot II with (THANK GOD) a bow thruster. Without the thruster, I'd have a heck of a time getting into my boat lift going nose first due to the winds and currents always present. With the tiny rudder I have, it is necessary to come should i not have the BT for some reason if I am to have any steerage and hope the reverse gearing holds and the engine doesn't stall. I have practiced this, ONCE just to see what it would take. I assisted a friend when he installed a BT in his Mainship 34, and it was not all that hard. We cut the hole, and a professional fiberglassed the tunnel into place. Then he ran the wiring and installed the motor and switch.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:12 PM   #6
Guru

City: Warwick RI
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
It will take a lot of practice but I know folks who do it with ease.
Lollygag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:19 PM   #7

City: San Diego
The OP stated that he sold the sailboat specifically due to difficulty in docking. Sounds like this issue is a deal breaker for him and something he won't able to work around. Or did I misread his post?
Swfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:23 PM   #8
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
If you had trouble getting in and out with a sailboat you'll have more trouble with the 34 without a thruster. It's got lots of windage and is relatively light and shallow. You get blown around in any kind of breeze. Great boat, but that sounds like a deal breaker for you.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:26 PM   #9
Guru

City: Northport
We owned a 1978 Mainship 34 trawler single diesel with no thrusters and based on your comment on the single engine sailboat you should not buy the Mainship.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:29 PM   #10

City: Jacksonville, FL
I learned to put my 79’ Mainship damned near anywhere, without a thruster.

Once you learn that it only backs to one direction, and you practice “back and fill” (google and read) you’ll get there.

Peace once or several times a week until you get a sense of what the boat does.

Also, get a Brodie knob on your steering wheel.
hytedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:30 PM   #11

City: Jacksonville, FL
“Practice”
hytedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:33 PM   #12
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
We owned a 1978 Mainship 34 trawler single diesel with no thrusters and based on your comment on the single engine sailboat you should not buy the Mainship.
Or buy it, install a thruster, and get some pointers from someone who knows how to maneuver a single engine power boat.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 03:55 PM   #13
Guru

City: Boston Area
Does your marina offer side tie slips ?
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:04 PM   #14
Guru

I owned a 78 for 15 years and only had trouble part of the first season.
As hytedin posted I could also put mine anywhere.
I had to back into a slip that was only 3 inches wider than the beam. So I learned quickly.

Learn when the boat does and use it to your advantage.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:14 PM   #15

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Sea Ranger 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by hytedin View Post
I learned to put my 79’ Mainship damned near anywhere, without a thruster.

Once you learn that it only backs to one direction, and you practice “back and fill” (google and read) you’ll get there.

Peace once or several times a week until you get a sense of what the boat does.

Also, get a Brodie knob on your steering wheel.
Yes, back and fill is definitely the way to go in this situation, basically it’s a system to turn around on a single screw, understanding the boat’s “transverse thrust” or the direction the stern will move under power applied going astern is an import part of this process. It’s not a lot, but it all helps. When the boats astern direction wanders off course, go back to neutral, then slow ahead with the helm over in the direction you want the boat to spin, and repeat the process as many times as required.
Ease the shift between forward and astern, resting in neutral to be kind to the transmission, and be mindful during the manoeuvre the wind doesn’t blow the boat sideways to “box you into a corner”, or create a situation you can’t power out of, like into a 90deg. corner for example.

I used a long pre-made combination bow and fwd facing spring line with a large loop to drop over the pontoon/slip bollard.
Attach it to the boats bow and midship cleats, come alongside and crew (or myself if single handed) would drop the looped end over the bollard, ease the boat astern which would tighten up on the spring first, then the bow (because they are one line), jump off and secure the stern at your leisure because the boat is still idling astern with pressure on the forward lines.
This process works well if you have a lower helm with adjacent cabin side door and opening side rail access, to make it a single handed operation.
Southern Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:59 PM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
So much depends on your slip and whether you bow or stern in. Also consider the MS will have a tiny rudder compared to your sailboat.
Its doable... yes
Will you like/ enjoy it.. sometimes yes some no.
Could you add a bow or even stern thruster if needed... certainly.
People look down on thrusters or shy away because they are expensive... compare them to twins plus annual maint and they look a lot better.
If you otherwise love the boat I'll bet you can figure a way to make it work. Just plan / reserve some $ if it becomes necessary but I'd try to learn before giving up.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:53 PM   #17

City: Guntersville, Al
Vessel Name: StarLite
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II - 2003
My 2003 30' MS Pilot II can be a handful, even with a bow thrust-er. I also regularly helm a 35' Catalina (no thrusters) which handles like a dream - Because of the big winged keel and Huge rudder. The Catalina will rotate 360 degrees in just slightly more than her length. Not so the Mainship! The rudder on the MS pilot is small and ineffective because the prop is more than 50% buried in a tunnel (don't think the early 34's were). The good news, she only draws 3 ft and the single 315hp Yanmar will jump up on a plane and trot at 28 to 30 kts if you want!

Even though it's sometimes a PITA I still enjoy the challenge. (I also fly an early V tailed Bonanza with essentially no rudder - gives your heart a work out in a cross wind).

I also learned to use spring lines on a single screw, 55' house boat - so I don't hesitate to use one on the Pilot and I keep plenty of line close at hand when its windy or a very tight slip.

If it really bugs you, I would think long and hard about planning to add a bow thruster. As Rgano said its not that big a deal at your next bottom job if you can do some of the grunt work yourself. Other than that, they are great boats - and with a bow thruster - the resale should be substantially higher and easier.

Olebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:58 PM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Fulton, Missouri
Vessel Name: The Old Blue Chair
Vessel Model: Defever 48
I had a Mainship 34 for about 10 years. I was coming from a twin engine express cruiser and thought I'd have a bow thruster installed. After a couple months on the boat I got a handle on how to maneuver her and passed on the thruster idea. There was only a couple of times I was in a situation where I couldn't do what I wanted to do, so I just didn't in those particular situations. Which was a lot cheaper/easier than installing a multi thousand dollar piece of equipment that would require ongoing maintenance. The Mainship 34 has a pretty large rudder for the size/type of boat and responds well to short bursts of throttle with the helm hard over to position the stern where you want it. That and using the prop walk to your advantage will work well in all but the most adverse docking conditions.
micksbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:09 PM   #19

City: (Cypress Landing) Chocowinity, NC
Vessel Name: BZ interlude
Vessel Model: MS390
If you had trouble docking a sail boat than you should stay away from any boat with a single engine and no thrusters. in the other hand people that have boats with single engine and thrusters (specifically if it is only one thruster) should practice docking without it and to understand how their boat handle in confined areas.
good luck,
DrissZougari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:19 PM   #20
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by micksbuddy View Post
I had a Mainship 34 for about 10 years.
Did that older 34 have a prop tunnel? I find with my tunnel of my 30 the helpful prop walk is nil compared to what a flatter bottom boat would experience.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote