Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-24-2017, 12:51 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatman View Post
That was my experience with Xantex as well. Their "authorized repair shop" could not get repair parts or even a schematic for one of their battery chargers.

I would suggest checking into service options before selecting a brand. Or just figure it's a throw away.
I look at an inverter as a throw away item.

They are heavy, making them difficult and expensive to ship off for repair.
The downtime just to get one repaired would be unacceptable

It’s just easier to fedex a new one, same model, drop it in, and go about life.

That said I have yet to experience a failure on my Xantex SW3000, or any of the other Xantrex units I have owned over the past two decades.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 02:37 PM   #42
Guru
 
City: Galveston, Texas
Country: U.S.A.
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 635
I have a Magnum 3112 and it has worked great.
It is modified sine wave and i would recommend getting sine wave if purchasing an inverter/charger.

Magnum customer service has been good the one time I needed them. The problem turned out to be a faulty switch in front of the inverter. The best thing (and the main point of this post) was they led me to these guys, who were GREAT!
Most helpful on the phone, parts in stock, knowledgeable and everything you would want to know about an inverter.

Tennessee-Inverter Service Center 615-285-0611 (also Marysville Marine Distributors) are good guys. Jordan, Randy or T.J.
__________________

__________________
Ken Diestler
Galveston, Tx
ktdtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 02:41 PM   #43
Scraping Paint
 
City: CT
Country: US
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I look at an inverter as a throw away item.
For your property that's fine.

I prefer to use a vendor that doesn't display that attitude about their product line.

The newer lower-end models have shown less reliability than the older big ones.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:36 PM   #44
Veteran Member
 
City: Amsterdam
Country: usa
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
From this site:

4000W 24VDC Pure Sine Hybrid Inverter Charger MSH Series | Magnum Dimensions

“Hybrid technology: Most inverters only use one source of energy to power loads, either from incoming AC power – shore or AC generator – or from the batteries. The MSH-M Series combines the energy from both sources to power loads. This allows the inverter to recharge the batteries when there is surplus power or deliver more power to the loads if they require more than the AC input can supply by itself.”

Jim
That is what the Victron units can do with the ESS set up loaded
dutch-barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:50 PM   #45
Scraping Paint
 
City: CT
Country: US
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 963
aka PowerAssist feature, Victron had it first
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:36 PM   #46
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,234
Magnum made and supported in USA tilts the deck in their favor IMO, regardless of who had what features first.
__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:49 PM   #47
Scraping Paint
 
City: CT
Country: US
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 963
Irrelevant to me.

But Magnum inverters are top notch.

With the more complex stuff their newer gear has been shaking the bugs out.

Victron and MasterWorks are great too.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_1948973
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:05 PM   #48
DDW
Guru
 
City: San Francisco
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,262
Personally I don't like Magnum inverters. They are line frequency switchers, so they weigh a ton, the the 60 cycle hum from some of them can wake the dead. Their controls are very pedestrian. Their coulomb counting state of charge circuit forgets to include its own current, though it is significant. Their idle current draw would power a small village. All in all, about a decade or two behind Victron or Mastervolt, and even behind some of Xantrex products.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:48 AM   #49
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Country: usa
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8,827
DDW
Post #19 may be worth a re-read. Then a visit to his website.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:57 AM   #50
Guru
 
City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I look at an inverter as a throw away item.

They are heavy, making them difficult and expensive to ship off for repair.
The downtime just to get one repaired would be unacceptable

It’s just easier to fedex a new one, same model, drop it in, and go about life.

That said I have yet to experience a failure on my Xantex SW3000, or any of the other Xantrex units I have owned over the past two decades.
I agree, they are mostly throw away items and they do fail.
The High Frequency inverter runs on the ragged edge constantly, its surge rating is only for a microsecond then it shuts down or blows up. I have been through several. Mosfets have a lifespan. They are like a high performance engine running at high revs.

After fixing my 3000 watt high frequency inverter for the third time, I found out about low frequency inverters. They have a big heavy copper transformer. Their surge power is about 10 seconds, and they have much simpler control circuits. My next inverter may be a low frequency inverter due to the better basic design.

So you have a 3000 watt low frequency inverter and it may have a surge capacity of 6000 - 12,000 watts for up to 10 seconds. Enough surge capacity headroom that the thing won't be overstressed so much starting heavier loads.

Of course the high frequency inverter is cheap to manufacture. And most people don't know any better.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:26 AM   #51
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
Personally I don't like Magnum inverters. They are line frequency switchers, so they weigh a ton, the the 60 cycle hum from some of them can wake the dead. Their controls are very pedestrian. Their coulomb counting state of charge circuit forgets to include its own current, though it is significant. Their idle current draw would power a small village. All in all, about a decade or two behind Victron or Mastervolt, and even behind some of Xantrex products.
Yes, my 4024 was somewhat heavy, but still easily wall mountable. Everything else in your post is completely wrong, at least as it applies to that model, which I have extensive direct experience and use from as a full time cruiser and liveaboard that spent months on moorings or anchor.
__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:53 AM   #52
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Gloucester, MA
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
I agree, they are mostly throw away items and they do fail.
The High Frequency inverter runs on the ragged edge constantly, its surge rating is only for a microsecond then it shuts down or blows up. I have been through several. Mosfets have a lifespan. They are like a high performance engine running at high revs.

After fixing my 3000 watt high frequency inverter for the third time, I found out about low frequency inverters. They have a big heavy copper transformer. Their surge power is about 10 seconds, and they have much simpler control circuits. My next inverter may be a low frequency inverter due to the better basic design.

So you have a 3000 watt low frequency inverter and it may have a surge capacity of 6000 - 12,000 watts for up to 10 seconds. Enough surge capacity headroom that the thing won't be overstressed so much starting heavier loads.

Of course the high frequency inverter is cheap to manufacture. And most people don't know any better.

There is a lot of generalization in that. Not necessarily wrong, but misleading in many ways. I'd suggest a careful look at the spec sheets for any models you are considering to see what the surge specs are, both how much and how long. And I'd suggest researching each brand's reliability rather than judging based solely on the switching frequency.
__________________
MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:58 AM   #53
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Gloucester, MA
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Yes, my 4024 was somewhat heavy, but still easily wall mountable. Everything else in your post is completely wrong, at least as it applies to that model, which I have extensive direct experience and use from as a full time cruiser and liveaboard that spent months on moorings or anchor.

I too have seen a lot of variation is the 60hz hum from inverters. My Trace SW4024 was the worst, but wouldn't wake the dead. Then a Schneider Connext SW6048 which was a lot quieter. Then a Schneider Connext SW6848 to replace the blown 6048, and it is much quieter again. I think it's all about how well potted everything is to reduce rattling and vibration. Some once again, it's more inverter specific than switching frequency specific.
__________________
MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:43 AM   #54
DDW
Guru
 
City: San Francisco
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,262
I have a Magnum installed in my camper. You cannot sleep in there with it on. That's just one model, but I've listened to a couple of others and they are similar. Tech support said "yeah, they do that". The weight is a consequence of the 60 cycle operation, which requires big transformers. And the state of charge counter draws about 80 ma by measurement, 60 AH/month not accounted for (tech support says, "yeah, that's the way it is"). Their remote control has very few settings and features compared to Mastervolt or Victron. The transfer relay is rated at 2/3 of the built in circuit breaker rating. Those are observable facts.

Now I've had issues with Xantrex equipment too, the Prosine 2000 that I had failed three times and had some of the same power consumption issues. The Freedom was reliable, but not very efficient and very, very heavy.

I have 6 Mastervolt products on the sailboat, a 100/24 charger, 2500W inverter, 3 DC-DC 24-12 converters, and the state-of-charge controller. In 10 years of heavy use, one DC-DC converter has failed (a mechanical failure of the output terminal), the others continue flawlessly. The inverter, rather than drawing 40 watts idling draws 6. It is silent until a large load it put on it, then it turns on a quiet fan that runs intermittently.

The more recent Victron equipment is high frequency switching. There will be no inherent reliability difference between low and high frequency switching for properly designed equipment. While much is dependent on quality of design and manufacture, it is very rare to get a 60 cycle hum from a high speed switcher....

I respect MaineSail's opinions, but I do not agree with him in this instance. I'm about to install an inverter in the trawler, and I will try a Victron.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:11 PM   #55
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,299
I guess it all depends on what you have and how you set it up.

I have the Magnum Energy MS2812 pure sine wave inverter charger. It's mounted on the wall in the engine room. The only time I hear it is when the fan goes to high speed. The weight certainly isn't an issue. It's connected to an 900 AH battery bank, so whatever it's standby consumption may be, isn't an issue.

What is important is that it works flawlessly, switches between inverter and shore power seamlessly, and was easy to install and program. Best inverter I've owned. Haven't read anything in this thread that makes me feel I'm missing some important feature.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:34 PM   #56
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Country: usa
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,400
As the OP, after researching and a lot of shopping I put in the Magnum MS2812.
It was largely because of the reputation and reviews and felt it was a reliable unit.

That was back in March and has worked flawlessly ever since and ZERO noticeable noise. Support has been good, and only needed for programing it.
I hired a top notch ABYC electrician to install it and was fairly simple and worked well. We also installed a switch to turn it off.

Overall, for the short time I've had it, very happy.
__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:49 PM   #57
Guru
 
angus99's Avatar
 
City: Signal Mtn., TN
Country: US
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I guess it all depends on what you have and how you set it up.

I have the Magnum Energy MS2812 pure sine wave inverter charger. It's mounted on the wall in the engine room. The only time I hear it is when the fan goes to high speed. The weight certainly isn't an issue. It's connected to an 900 AH battery bank, so whatever it's standby consumption may be, isn't an issue.

What is important is that it works flawlessly, switches between inverter and shore power seamlessly, and was easy to install and program. Best inverter I've owned. Haven't read anything in this thread that makes me feel I'm missing some important feature.

Ted
I have the same unit and have had the same experience. The only noise comes from the fan and the performance has been excellent.
__________________

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×