Old 07-23-2018, 11:28 PM   #1

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Mersea
Vessel Model: Marquis 59
Made it to the Chesapeake

Have not posted or replied in a bit. Thought I would update.

We left Clearwater Beach FL in latter part of June.

Boat is now in the Chesapeake. Based on simple math - 1,200 miles or so. For many on this site - not a huge trip - or it is one that many make every year.

Our personal observations...

Original plan was a straight 11 day run. Did we ever have expectations that did not work out.

First - we will not plan a straight here to there run again - wore us out.

9 day delay in route - waiting on parts. A friggen key switch shut us down. (all 4 key switches have been replaced).

Preliminary float plan, distances each day proved to be accurate. In fact over achieved some days.

Done with the Okeechobee waterway. Not our first time - probably our 5th or 6th time across. We will slide through the Keys in the future. It is not hard, or challenging - we just do not like it.

ICW north of Coinjock gets very shallow. So much of NC ICW is wind driven - my mistake - lost reference to when tidal movement matters. Did not go aground - but did churn a lot of mud in some areas.

Half way through the trip - we looked at each other - why did we do this? Tied up at Mears Point - hour later - discussing - wow - best thing we ever did.

Learned a lot about boating during the trip. Learned a lot about the boat we bought last fall.

So much more prepared for the trip back to FL in the fall.

Anyway - feel like we accomplished a boating event - making the trip. Thought I would throw our experience out there. I know - for many or you - nothing special cause you do it all the time.

For us - was special - something we dreamed about and accomplished.
FootballFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:20 AM   #2
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Take for granted that something will always break on a boat. Isn't that part of the adventure? Thanking my guardian angel: coming aground on a rising tide, propeller shaft breaks apart upon entering home berth, and so on.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:22 AM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. FF. Don't minimize your accomplishment. It sounds wonderful and thanks for the advice.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:11 AM   #4

Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: 2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Great accomplishment! Congratulations! Were there any weather issues or delays? Any additional info or observations are always welcome.
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:31 AM   #5
Guru

City: Tavernier, FL
Vessel Name: Volans
Vessel Model: 2001 PDQ MV 32
Congrats! We just completed a similar 1000 mile run(ga-ri) in 9 days. It's very challenging. A slower pace makes all the difference. We ran 700 miles (MD to ga) in 5 weeks two years ago and it was a much better trip. We only traveled at high tide, especially in South Carolina, and we had more time to research each leg. We were at mears for about a year, on m dock. It's a great locale, both for the comraderie, and the nearby cruising locales. St Mike's, Rock Hall, and Annapolis. Congrats on completing the trip!
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:35 AM   #6
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
We are in the Chesapeake now as well. Currently anchored in the Mattawoman. Alexandria today and DC torrow.
You can read about the route we took in the Cruising East Coast section of the forum.
The debris fields from the storms are something else!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:58 AM   #7
Guru

City: Palmetto
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Quite an accomplishment and trip! Congrats on rolling with the punches and completing it.
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:06 AM   #8

No significant weather issues. Couple of thunderstorms we waited for them to pass.

Did have a delay with an electrical issue. Turned out a Key switch shorted out, killed the power to the ECU on one engine. Took a bit to diagnose, then find and procure the correct part #. Replaced all the key switches on the boat (4). $30 part stopped us dead in the water.

Went outside from FL to Cape Fear, then Masonboro to Beaufort.

Traffic seemed light, guess it was the time of year. Most people who were going north were probably already there.

Float plan for daily runs turned out to be pretty accurate.

Love the marina we are in. Ready to enjoy some MD weather...
Old 07-24-2018, 09:51 AM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballFan View Post
Have not posted or replied in a bit. Thought I would update.

We left Clearwater Beach FL in latter part of June.

Boat is now in the Chesapeake. Based on simple math - 1,200 miles or so. For many on this site - not a huge trip - or it is one that many make every year.

Our personal observations...

Original plan was a straight 11 day run. Did we ever have expectations that did not work out.

9 day delay in route - waiting on parts. A friggen key switch shut us down. (all 4 key switches have been replaced).

Preliminary float plan, distances each day proved to be accurate. In fact over achieved some days.

Done with the Okeechobee waterway. Not our first time - probably our 5th or 6th time across. We will slide through the Keys in the future. It is not hard, or challenging - we just do not like it.

ICW north of Coinjock gets very shallow. So much of NC ICW is wind driven - my mistake - lost reference to when tidal movement matters. Did not go aground - but did churn a lot of mud in some areas.

Half way through the trip - we looked at each other - why did we do this? Tied up at Mears Point - hour later - discussing - wow - best thing we ever did.

Learned a lot about boating during the trip. Learned a lot about the boat we bought last fall.

So much more prepared for the trip back to FL in the fall.

Anyway - feel like we accomplished a boating event - making the trip. Thought I would throw our experience out there. I know - for many or you - nothing special cause you do it all the time.

For us - was special - something we dreamed about and accomplished.
Wifey B:

It was an accomplishment and for those of us who do it "all the time" it never loses it's charm. That's why we keep doing it. Plus we all remember the first time doing something like that.

Great, lesson learned. You just did a delivery. Now cruise in the future. Stop to smell the swamp, I mean roses....magnolias maybe....Rhododendron? Something. I don't know.

So, the nine days you were delayed, did you do some fun stuff and take advantage? I know one area we like but might never have really learned had we not been "stuck there" for a week due to sea conditions.

Start planning now for what you want to see and do on the trip back south. You could make this trip back and forth 30 years and still never fully experience all there is to do along the way. I'll just toss one stop to get you thinking, an easy place to pass by but one of a kind pleasure, Bald Head Island. There are hundreds more.

Last, don't ever compare your cruising to others, just do what works for you and what you enjoy. We all must find what works for us. Some never stray more than 100 miles from home and are extremely happy. Some cruise 12 months of the year and never in the same place. Look at Sealife, taking three years to end up back where you are now, basically where they started.

We cruise short and long. Fast and slow....well, not really slow, just not as fast. We had no idea what our pattern would be and somehow it ended up six weeks cruising then three weeks at home and it works for us. It's what we enjoy but also find ourselves excited to be flying or cruising home after. We're currently on day 28 of a 42 day leg. The last 11 days we only cruised two and they were back and forth between the same cities, 140 nm each way. Then yesterday and today a 33 hour trip to reach a destination, where we'll spend three days. This is a funny 6 weeks or 42 days. We are only moving 14 times, although that includes 4 overnight trips. Only 9 different cities or towns. Loop was more like a different town every other day or sometimes every day.

It's pleasure boating and you do what brings you pleasure. It's like the Okeechobee Swamp, I mean Lake. You're tired of it, so circle outside. Others love it, think it's heaven. I'm of the "it's nice but mainly just a shortcut." We do about half and half between across and around, typically going one way and back the other.

Take this advice from Mama Cass:

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:08 AM   #10
Dwk

City: Chesapeake Bay
Vessel Name: Patty Ann
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1 1980
"Love the marina we are in. Ready to enjoy some MD weather"...[/QUOTE]

At what marina are you docked? Did you bring this rain? We're ready to enjoy some MD weather also.
Dwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:38 PM   #11
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Note to self, stockpile more jumpers.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:35 AM   #12

At Mears Point.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Saint Petersburg, FL
Vessel Name: Migration
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 34 Double Cabin Yacht Trawler
Thanks for sharing! It is my dream and my destination would be Clearwater Beach or Tampa Bay. If you make it up to Atlantic City, stop into Farley Marina and say hi! Enjoy every minute of it!
BillZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:05 PM   #14
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
We are in the Chesapeake now as well. Currently anchored in the Mattawoman. Alexandria today and DC torrow.
You can read about the route we took in the Cruising East Coast section of the forum.
The debris fields from the storms are something else!

Mattawoman creek is one of our favorite anchorages on the upper Potomac. We spend several days/nights there each year. It is also one of the healthiest tributaries in the Chesapeake. Our profile pic was taken there. Hope you enjoyed it as much as we do!

And, yes, the debris has been horrible due to all the rain and high water this year.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:17 AM   #15
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Wifey B - great advice. This morning finds us lying in Orillia, Ontario at the western end of the Trent Severn Waterway on our way to the Georgian Bay. We put into the Port of Orillia fo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B:

It was an accomplishment and for those of us who do it "all the time" it never loses it's charm. That's why we keep doing it. Plus we all remember the first time doing something like that.

Great, lesson learned. You just did a delivery. Now cruise in the future. Stop to smell the swamp, I mean roses....magnolias maybe....Rhododendron? Something. I don't know. [emoji38]

So, the nine days you were delayed, did you do some fun stuff and take advantage? I know one area we like but might never have really learned had we not been "stuck there" for a week due to sea conditions.

Start planning now for what you want to see and do on the trip back south. You could make this trip back and forth 30 years and still never fully experience all there is to do along the way. I'll just toss one stop to get you thinking, an easy place to pass by but one of a kind pleasure, Bald Head Island. There are hundreds more.

Last, don't ever compare your cruising to others, just do what works for you and what you enjoy. We all must find what works for us. Some never stray more than 100 miles from home and are extremely happy. Some cruise 12 months of the year and never in the same place. Look at Sealife, taking three years to end up back where you are now, basically where they started. [emoji38]

We cruise short and long. Fast and slow....well, not really slow, just not as fast. We had no idea what our pattern would be and somehow it ended up six weeks cruising then three weeks at home and it works for us. It's what we enjoy but also find ourselves excited to be flying or cruising home after. We're currently on day 28 of a 42 day leg. The last 11 days we only cruised two and they were back and forth between the same cities, 140 nm each way. Then yesterday and today a 33 hour trip to reach a destination, where we'll spend three days. This is a funny 6 weeks or 42 days. We are only moving 14 times, although that includes 4 overnight trips. Only 9 different cities or towns. Loop was more like a different town every other day or sometimes every day.

It's pleasure boating and you do what brings you pleasure. It's like the Okeechobee Swamp, I mean Lake. You're tired of it, so circle outside. Others love it, think it's heaven. I'm of the "it's nice but mainly just a shortcut." We do about half and half between across and around, typically going one way and back the other.

Take this advice from Mama Cass:

Wifey B - great advice. This morning finds us lying in Orillia, Ontario at the western end of the Trent Severn Waterway on our way to the Georgian Bay. We put into the Port of Orillia for two nights after a difficult run through a very shallow section of a canal, very stressful. Anyway, I happened to mention to my wife-partner that perhaps we could stay another night. She was ecstatic helped especially by the quality of the marina and the niceness of the town. The point is, stop, refresh, enjoy.

BTW, the marina, as nice as any anyone has ever experienced. Cost was $1.60/foot including electricity and free laundry plus the third night is free.

Another BTW, I mentioned a shallow canal. I'll take the shallow sections of the ICW any day compared to up here. The bottoms of these canals are ROCK! And not to mention the weeds which are prolific this year. Four times now I have had to stop and reverse engines to clear the weeds wrapped around the props. Vibrations went away each time. Still, I would recommend doing this route. We are a Defever 44. There are two other DF 44s docked next to us.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote