Old 02-13-2017, 12:15 PM   #41
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
If pressed, I usually use M/V (or MV) to distinguish between motor and sail; if we had the latter, I'd likely use S/V (or SV). .........
So is a sailboat that's had its mast (and sails, of course) removed still a "sailboat" or "S/V"? Or is it now a motor vessel?

For that matter, even if it still has its mast and sails but is under power, not under sail, is it still a sailing vessel?

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:37 PM   #42
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
After watching this thread a question came to mind:

Where and when do you ever need to identify what type of boat you have?

We go through the locks on the Columbia and Snake Rivers frequently. All I ever do when calling the lock to ask for passage is to use the name of the boat when I call and what direction I'm headed (upriver or downriver).

I can only think of one time in 30+ years of transiting the locks that I've ever been asked to describe the boat and I just gave them "60' power boat".

Old 02-13-2017, 12:46 PM   #43
Guru

Anybody use STINK POT to define a boat I know my old sailor friends did so often?
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #44
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
After watching this thread a question came to mind:

Not very often and the circumstances actually alter what you might say. If I'm communicating with cargo ships, I'm usually going to say Pleasure Boat xxx and identify where I am in relation to them. If I'm communicating to locks, they want to know size and whether power or sail, so it might be 65' Motor Boat xxx. Places like Panama Canal or the secure area around San Diego, especially when returning to the country, call for more formal.

Really, I don't see anyone caring what you call yourself, just wanting some identification.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #45
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Really, I don't see anyone caring what you call yourself, just wanting some identification.
I agree.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:19 PM   #46
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I have had to describe my boat only a couple of times. Once was last summer coming south through heavy fog in the Juan de Fuca Strait. I was talking to Seattle Traffice as well as container ship that was coming North. I was trying to avoid some heavy seas as well as stay out over everyone's way. I described myself to them as a 43' power boat. In that situation I wouldn't use MV as that would tend to imply a commercial vessel in my mind. I don't tend to use MY as I don't see my boat as "yacht".

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:53 PM   #47
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Anybody use STINK POT to define a boat I know my old sailor friends did so often?
Not since I bought a STINK POT . . . . . now I have to deal with those pesky BLOW-BOATERS
Old 02-13-2017, 03:35 PM   #48
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post

I can only think of one time in 30+ years of transiting the locks that I've ever been asked to describe the boat and I just gave them "60' power boat".
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Not very often and the circumstances actually alter what you might say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I have had to describe my boat only a couple of times. Once was last summer coming south through heavy fog in the Juan de Fuca Strait. I was talking to Seattle Traffice as well as container ship that was coming North. I was trying to avoid some heavy seas as well as stay out over everyone's way. I described myself to them as a 43' power boat. In that situation I wouldn't use MV as that would tend to imply a commercial vessel in my mind. I don't tend to use MY as I don't see my boat as "yacht".
Yep: seldom. And in those circumstances, especially if it's on radio, I usually just say "power boat," at least to start. In some instances where additional info might be necessary, I could say "sportfisher"... or "the white flybridge powerboat about 1/2 mile (or whatever) off your bow (or wherever)" or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
So is a sailboat that's had its mast (and sails, of course) removed still a "sailboat" or "S/V"? Or is it now a motor vessel?

For that matter, even if it still has its mast and sails but is under power, not under sail, is it still a sailing vessel?
There is that.

Although I doubt a sailor would change his idea of what kind of boat he's driving simply because he's been dismasted or is using machinery for propulsion.

And he's entitled. (Assuming he's also still abiding by nav rules at the same time.)

-Chris
Old 02-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #49
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post

Although I doubt a sailor would change his idea of what kind of boat he's driving simply because he's been dismasted or is using machinery for propulsion.

And he's entitled. (Assuming he's also still abiding by nav rules at the same time.)

-Chris
I have heard sailboats many times announce they're under power. I've also known when they didn't indicate for them to be asked by canal or lock masters. In areas where minimum speed is required, I've heard them asked their speed.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:22 PM   #50
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
the only time a true, unaltered, non hybrid sailing vessel becomes a vessel under power for discussion purposes is in the collision regs....otherwise it is a sailing vessel, sailing vessel undersail, sailing vessel under both, sailing vessel under power, sailing vessel with no masts, ad nauseum...it ain't rocket science.

with all those desriptions...would one change the documentation every time something changed?

of course not.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:23 PM   #51
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I actually say on thr radio "pleasureboat" unless there's an obvious need for something more appropriate like "the boat you just failed to yeild to".

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:51 PM   #52
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
To me the only thing that really matters is letting others know if you are a motor boat or sailing boat since that makes a difference in nav rules. Beyond that, I couldn't care less whether you want to call your boat a vessel or boat or yacht or whatever.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:01 PM   #53
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:

Musing one day at anchor, it struck me that I have a mast, like a sailboat. I could, in theory, hang a sail, like a sailboat. I chose to motor everywhere instead, like the overwhelming majority of cruising sailboats I see.

I decided I could call myself "S/V Cygnus" and wrote about it in my blog.

My sailing friends haven't disowned me, so either they haven't seen it, or have learned to tolerate my sad sense of humor.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:05 PM   #54

City: Comox
Vessel Model: 1989 Wellington 57 motorsailer
Quote:

It is still a sailing vessel but for purposes of collision avoidance, it now has to follow the rules as per a power driven vessel.
Nightsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:43 PM   #55
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
To me the only thing that really matters is letting others know if you are a motor boat or sailing boat since that makes a difference in nav rules. Beyond that, I couldn't care less whether you want to call your boat a vessel or boat or yacht or whatever.
Believe sailing vessels should (day shape or running lights) indicate whether they are using engine so we'd know how to treat them under the rules. With bare poles, I assume they are motorized unless obviously anchored.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:55 PM   #56
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
I have a DVD of a couple cruising the AICW. In part of the DVD, the woman states that a "yacht" is a boat big enough to wear (high) heels on. That probably doesn't apply to most of us.
So, do these high-heeled boots make the Coot a yacht?

Old 02-13-2017, 08:49 PM   #57
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Language is so funny. I don't think the word 'yacht' is pretentious at all. The word comes from The Dutch word jacht meaning a fast sailing vessel used to hunt pirates.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yacht

Today I think anyone calling their pleasure boat a 'Trawler' or a 'Tug' is way more pretentious. Or maybe just smug.

Whatever
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:58 PM   #58
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post
... the word 'yacht' ...comes from The Dutch word jacht meaning a fast sailing vessel used to hunt pirates....
Interesting."yacht" almost always means a sailing boat here. When posting I use "sailboat", considering most TFers are in USA.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:24 PM   #59
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
I also get a bit queasy with the "yacht" word. I like the MP designation the best.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:43 PM   #60
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
I would never call my boat a yacht unless I could land a helicopter on it!!!

Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote