Lrc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the term LRC is meaningless. My boat is called a Californian 34 LRC by Marshall Boats but at 500-600 mile range, it's far from 'long range'.

I guess in the end, it's kind of like 'trawler' and 'rich' and 'expensive'; it means different things to different folks at different times.

Many trawlers have a cruising range which far exceeds the owners ability to cruise. Mine, for example has a range of over 1,200 miles. We once covered over 100 miles between an overnight on the hook and the following night at a marina. (We were tired)

Maybe a long range cruiser is defined by the owner or crew ability to cruise.

pete

What constitutes long range cruising can also depend on the size of the boat. My C-Dory has fuel carrying capacity that can get me over 230 miles. I think most would say that is long range cruising in a 16' boat.

Long Range Cruiser In my mind is a boat that it is an EU Class A vessel that can go for an extended period of time in terms of weeks and distance of 1500 nm or more and be totally self sufficient while cruising for these times and distances.

I’ve found that the term “LONG RANGE CRUISING” is defined by the First Mate (Wife). Mine says anything beyond a six hour day is LRC and should be avoided.

3000 miles at a low cruise speed is what I consider a long range cruiser. That will get you across most oceans, and almost anywhere in the World.

Mileage

I just closed on 1973 GB 36. It needs work!!! However my plans are to add fuel capacity to achieve a minimum 0f 750 mile range. This would allow me to run straight from New England to North Carolina off shore. My intent is to summer in NE & winter in the southern regions. So I am estimating at this time 750 NM x 5 gal/hr @ 6 KTS is 625 gallons. The boat now has 320 gals. Long story short I think "LRC" is determined what your intentions/desires are.

I just closed on 1973 GB 36. It needs work!!! However my plans are to add fuel capacity to achieve a minimum 0f 750 mile range. This would allow me to run straight from New England to North Carolina off shore. My intent is to summer in NE & winter in the southern regions. So I am estimating at this time 750 NM x 5 gal/hr @ 6 KTS is 625 gallons. The boat now has 320 gals. Long story short I think "LRC" is determined what your intentions/desires are.

Sounds like a plan. At 6 kts, you will burn closer to 2.0 gph (probably less), not 5.0. You likely already have plenty of range. You may want to take a trip before any heroic measures to increase capacity.

Peter

Agree on 2 gph. My problem is you will need a big weather window to make that run at 6 knots. How about chunking it up a little? NE to Manasquan NJ, Manasquan to Cape May NJ, CM to Norfolk VA, Norfolk to NC. Forget the extra tankage.

Careful here - first, minor correction it's at least 700 nms from Ensenada to Cabo with the leg from Turtle Bay to Cabo just over 400 nms. Second, fuel at Turtle Bay is via a panga (Enrique) famous for being a mixture of 98% diesel and 2% mystery sludge; and for seeking breathtankgly high price for the pleasure. On the plus side, nice guy, nice family, and they'll pickup your trash. I would consider this an emergency or convenience stop only.

As a past delivery skipper out of San Francisco, I played these mind games for keeps for a living. Can a boat with 400 nm range get delivered the 4500 nms from Florida to California? On paper, yes - stretch from Cancun to Key West is just under 400 nms. Can it be done "safely?" Not to my tastes and tolerance - it means total reliance on accuracy of weather forecast, and means you're stopping for fuel ten times in places like Honduras and Nicaragua, neither of which I would consider safe. Best option would be to add barrels or bladder tank to increase range to at least 700 nms and you're still doing a meet-and-greet with Enrique and his family, especially if you're headed north into the prevailing "Baja Bash" weather.

I've long advocated for a term "Coastal Passagemaking" where a boat is equipped for serious weather within a 3-day zone of reasonably reliable weather forecasting, and carries enough fuel so the voyage isn't a tavern-to-tavern run of fuel stops in pretty rough commercial ports. For me, that means 1500 nms of range at normal cruise speed - San Diego to Acapulco is 1500 nms so you can dawdle all you want along the way, avoid the trappings of Cabo for La Paz, or just head to Mazatlan (which is actually about the same distance from Cabo as La Paz).

Peter

Agree with your description of Enrique's diesel mix. Even if you decide to give him your business you need to make sure you get it before he passes out on the beach. The last time however I was in Turtle Bay you could get fuel at the pier by stern tying to the pier. We carried 1100 usable gallons on our Hatteras 48 LRC and could have made San Diego to Cabo but choose but fuel up in Turtle Bay. Someone mentioned that there was no fuel between Turtle Bay and Cabo. Again the last time we were heading down the coast of Baja fuel was available in Magdalena Bay, although it was a bit of a challenge to obtain.

Greetings,
Mr. L13. Our boat was marketed as a LRC. She carries 850 gallons (US) of diesel and has 2 Lehman engines that each consume aprox. 2GPH @ 8 knots. I suppose that gives us a "range" of 1700 miles with no extra BUT I wouldn't bet the farm on THAT figure. Possibly closer to 1400 miles?

Agree on 2 gph. My problem is you will need a big weather window to make that run at 6 knots. How about chunking it up a little? NE to Manasquan NJ, Manasquan to Cape May NJ, CM to Norfolk VA, Norfolk to NC. Forget the extra tankage.

Not necessarily to HighWire, but if anyone doesn't have decent weather skills, invest in some training (mostly time vs money). Goal is to develop (or, in my case, re-develop) ability to correlate forecast weather against encountered conditions. I'm super-rusty in this department so will be a learning curve for me too. Committing to a 5-day run without a bail-out option requires a much different departure decision than if you have a bail-out option given a 48-hour notice.

Peter

The previous owner said it burned 4.5gph @ 1700 rpm, making about 7 KTS. It is a twin Lehman 120 setup. I am skewing the number to establish a (hopefully) substantial reserve.

I will hold the ability to stop over as a backup plan, but hope to avoid a prolonged transit and added dockage fees. Beyond being able to make a straight run, I intend to cruise the Bahamas and would like to extend my refueling stops out there. I have made the east coast run may times, although under sail. So I am confident in my abilities on the ocean. Thanks for all.

True LRCs will run at 7-8 knots for 2500-3000 NM

"Committing to a 5-day run without a bail-out option requires a much different departure decision than if you have a bail-out option given a 48-hour notice. "

Or a more seaworthy boat.

"Committing to a 5-day run without a bail-out option requires a much different departure decision than if you have a bail-out option given a 48-hour notice. "

Or a more seaworthy boat.
Depends if you believe the old saying that vast majority of boats can take more abuse than their occupants. Limiting factor isn't the boat, it's the folks aboard.

Depends if you believe the old saying that vast majority of boats can take more abuse than their occupants. Limiting factor isn't the boat, it's the folks aboard.

Easy for you to say...you've got a nice round buttocks. :D My square ass end makes my slow boat a handful in following seas over 2 ft. :facepalm: I bet the GB 32 or 36 is much the same.

I'd be very hesitant to take a small coastal cruiser like mine or Ronobrien's and try a trip like that without careful planning. I'm not making any judgements here but lots of newcomers don't quite grasp the potential of sudden disaster. Being a pilot, I like alternative plans and bail-out options. Maybe it's just me, but I'd follow closer to shore.

My boat is "squirrely" in following seas. Auto can't usually handle them. Must steer by "my pants," anticipating the water's motions.

Preferred seas:

Attachments

• smooth waters.jpg
    smooth waters.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 15
"Limiting factor isn't the boat, it's the folks aboard."

When a wave breaks aboard and the 1/4 inch window glass leaves a big hole waiting for the next wave , its not the folks aboard , its the boat chosen.

Scantlings is key to heavy weather survival..

I guess my AT34 'could' be considered a LRC, in theory.
With a Cummings 380 QSB 5.9
400 gal of fuel
1000 RPM = 6.5knts, 1 gph.
The US east coast IMO has a better, more protected, ICW, aka, 'the ditch'.
Stay 'inside' the ICW and the boat can run almost forever. ME? Not so much.

I believe that. It's certainly true in my case.

On a related note, LRC is about much more than range IMO. The best boats take care of the crew and keep them safe, comfortable, and able to function while underway in adverse conditions.

Back
Top Bottom