Old 08-29-2014, 07:29 AM   #1

City: Southport, NC
Vessel Name: Sea Shanty
Vessel Model: Ranger Tug R29
Love a Sundeck But...

I'm targeting a sundeck style trawler as my next boat but don't like the "climb" from the swim platform to the sundeck. Are there any solutions on the market to install something like an accommodation ladder/stairs so that you don' have such a vertical climb?
Fishheadbarandgrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:05 AM   #2
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
The big thing about buying boats, like any major purchase I suppose, is compromise. I have seen a couple of Yachtworld listings where owners have done various modifications that added steps to swim platforms. A few were nice (and looked expensive) others just looked bad. Remember that there can be a lot going on in and around a swim platform. to take up a lot of space with a staircase of some kind might be more of a pain in the ass later on.

There are cockpit sundeck trawlers out there. Defever, Tollycraft, and Carver (or was it Bayliner) make them, however, you often will still have to climb a ladder to get to the sundeck. There is no easy solution I don't think. Sundeck trawlers are what they are. We loved ours (so did everyone else... party central).

We always just carried a lightweight plastic ladder with us and boarded from the side.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:21 AM   #3

Tom B.. thanks. Agree on all accounts... I'm familiar with the CPMY style and I think you are correct, it is Carver. My concern was not so much dockside but while at anchor. For me a 40' sundeck is the way to go... the CPMY's tend to be a 40' plus 4' to allow for the aft cockpit.

BTW, I went to Cary HS and spend my summers on the Neuse at our river house between Oriental and Minnesott Beach. Small world
Old 08-29-2014, 08:28 AM   #4
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Good point Tom, I guess it's more about is it for boarding or getting to the dink. Our slip is fixed piers, but luckily fall perfect at most tide levels to board from the side. When we were on floating piers we did as you and used lightweight 3 step plastic steps to access the side. I had drilled a hole and had a line attached to it so it wouldn't blow away at night.
Sundecks are great for entertaining, but hard on the knees!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 08-29-2014, 08:45 AM   #5
Guru

There are sundecks that have stairs instead of a ladder going from the swimstep to the sundeck. I think Carver or Bayliner has them.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishheadbarandgrill View Post
Tom B.. thanks. Agree on all accounts... I'm familiar with the CPMY style and I think you are correct, it is Carver. My concern was not so much dockside but while at anchor. For me a 40' sundeck is the way to go... the CPMY's tend to be a 40' plus 4' to allow for the aft cockpit.

BTW, I went to Cary HS and spend my summers on the Neuse at our river house between Oriental and Minnesott Beach. Small world
Take a look at the Bayliner 4087- I believe it might just meet your requirements. A good sized cockpit, molded stairs to access the sundeck and flybridge, and 3 cabins. The 4087 is the 3587 with the addition of the cockpit.

We loved ours!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:50 AM   #7
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
There are sundecks that have stairs instead of a ladder going from the swimstep to the sundeck. I think Carver or Bayliner has them.

plus it seems some/many the newer boats tend towards steps as the ladders have been a complaint...some people have custom steps made that do take up room but the tradeoff is worth it to them.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:14 AM   #8
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Not so hard to have some stairs fabricated. Seen these done, btw spiral and straight. A few old Hatteras MYs have these, as it is a pretty long climb, almost 6 feet on mine.

This option is very common for people who are unpaid captain and crew for a dog.

We were sure when we bought the boat we would install something back there, as we are very frequent anchorers and mooring users (lived full time on moorings for months at a time in FL and MA, and anchoring out is our SOP) and were concerned about not-so-able friends. But after living with the ladder, we never did get around to it after thousands of ascents and descents.

There was a recent thread on Yachtforums about a guy doing a small spiral on an old Carver.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:30 AM   #9
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
The only problem I see about adding steps (and specifically but not exclusively spiral steps as George suggested) would be what direction they would land on a swim platform. Unless there is enough space to walk around the steps (and that would make for a very large swim platform), let's pretend they face to port (meaning you walk from port to starboard to ascend to the sundeck). They become way more of an obstacle should you be moored in a starboard-side tie. Does that make sense?

The ladder, while sometimes inconvenient, works from both sides :-)

Just something to think about.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:47 AM   #10
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Good points Tom.

Depends on how big the platform is and how agile the user is. I tried a few spirals and found them less easy to use than a ladder. It was easy on our boat to take stuff off the dinghy and put it over the top of the ladder, rather than schlep it up some stairs, especially a spiral. Not so much an issue I guess when the deck above has no sideboards or netting around it. The solution I liked best was an open metal stairway where the last two or three steps folded to free up more space when loading and unloading the dinghy or merely swimming or fishing off the platform.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:14 AM   #11
Guru

The Ocean Alexander 42-44 sundeck with cockpit fill the bill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1475.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	32466

Name:	DSCN7387.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	32467
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:19 AM   #12

Skidgear... that's a nice looking boat. I prefer a dinghy on the hard top but I see this design probably doesn't allow for that kind of weight up there.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:37 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Skidgear... that's a nice looking boat. I prefer a dinghy on the hard top but I see this design probably doesn't allow for that kind of weight up there.
Absolutely no reason the dink can't go on the sunroof. Many OA owners do exactly that. Ours just happened to have a Nick Jackson stern davit...which by the way makes launch of the dink infinitely easier, safer, and more flexible than roof top mounted location. Many roof located dinks must be launched to the side...and if you're in a slip, there's no way. A couple shots of salon...

Name:	DSCN4686.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	32468

Name:	DSCN4689.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	32469
Old 08-29-2014, 10:48 AM   #14
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
This would also work....
Attached Thumbnails
4087.jpg  

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:48 AM   #15

Can you fully enclose the sundeck on the OA?
Old 08-29-2014, 12:05 PM   #16
Guru

City: gulf coast
I think older grand banks had steps diagonally across the transom.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:23 PM   #17
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
We have the same thing. Sundeck (some call them California Decks) with a cockpit. Our stairs are very wide and easy to get on and off the boat.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:29 PM   #18
Guru

City: Trenton
The Heritage East 36' sun deck had a molded stairway from the swim platform to the deck. This was the newer model around the early 2000's.
alormaria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:32 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Can you fully enclose the sundeck on the OA?
Sure. You can probably find photos on Yacht world.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:49 PM   #20
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Carver 404.
Attached Thumbnails
Carver 404 2.jpg   Carver 404.jpg  

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote