Loopers- be on the lookout for the Phantom Steamboat on the lower TTW!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Olebird

Vessel Name
StarLite
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot II - 2003
Been planning my trip up the TTW (Tenn-Tom) to bring MV Starlite home to Guntersville Lake for the summer/fall season. Several of the travel guides and web sites talk about how desolate and boring the 400 mile stretch from Pickwick to Mobile can be.

It's true the 200 mi of mostly cut & dredge above Demopolis can get pretty boring if you don't like Pine Trees. But, if you are a river history buff - once below Columbus MS things can get very interesting, especially on a cool fall evening - hanging on the hook - in a misty creek just off the main channel. Listen carefully and you might hear paddle wheels splashing, frantic cries of Fire/Fire from master and slave alike on the Phantom Steamboat - Eliza Battle that is reported to run the narrow river between the white limestone cliffs.

Keep your radar on and a lookout on the sonar - her bones are still there in 28ft - along with the 29 souls who chose to freeze to death (in lower Alabama) rather than go down with 1400 bales of burning cotton.

A good read - The Tombigbee River Steamboats: Rollodores, Dead Heads and Side-Wheelers [Rufus Ward] on Amazon.com.:thumb:

Last edited:
First of all, boring is good. I've been on plenty of "exciting" boat rides.

I found the TTW fascinating. Even the relatively brief periods of monotony have their occasional "interesting" architecture, wildlife and geography. I'd go back for sure, but that "Big Bend" area is a bit of a barrier to/from the East coast and the GICW.

When do you plan to head up the TennTom? Water is very high right now with lots of current, and lots of debris ie logs.... getting caught up in the locks. Me thinks you might want to wait a spell before going north of Mobile. And send me a pm and I'll meet you at Columbus Marina on your way up. Safe travels.

I'm never bored on my boat, even when I am bored.

pete

We had a 75 mile run across Lake Huron. The water was like glass all the way. My wife said this is boring. I told her boring was great...

We had a similar run from Oconto to Washington Island, about 60 miles without a ripple. the Admiral said it was boring. I asked if she would rather have the trip up from Chicago where she got bounced right out of the bunk trying to catch a nap.

I guess I gave her an idea because she went below to take a nap.

pete

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom